Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DS9 "Whispers" Ship List (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DS9 "Whispers" Ship List
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Gellemero" looks like it starts with GELL and ends in an O.

GELLMERO?

Is the Captain of the Hispaniola GIMP or GUMP?

Arlington IV looks like CAPT R. SAVAGE

Also Canne Delta V

And B. Crane is for Bob Crane from Hogan's Heros no?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen Gilligan's Island myself, I don't think any British networks ever bought it. However I have heard it referenced innumerable times on various American Films and TV shows so I am aware of the S.S. Minnow [Wink]

I even recall seeing an episode of Baywatch (don't laugh, it was a LONG time ago) which parodied Gilligan's Island.

Anyway...this is what the list looks like after a few corrections.

U.S.S. YORKTOWN Theta Omicron IV Capt. H. Zimmerman

U.S.G.S. POWELL Hispanola Minor Capt. S. Sondheim

C.G.M. GH'ASTER Jura'Assic IV Capt. H. Prince

F.M.S. GELLENERO* Centre Minor Capt. F .Felio*

G.C.S. RECIO Annantale Capt. E. Robertson

U.S.S. YOSEMITE New Brooklyn IX Capt. J. Swift

L.T.A. ELMIRA Canmore Delta V Capt. G .Gulliver

U.S.S. HISPANOLA Sol System Capt. J. Gump

U.S.S. GALILEO Starbase 58 Capt. J. Priestly

F.G.M.S. GYI ANLAT Neutral Zone Capt. B. Crane

G.R. 12 Organia Capt. H. Ellison

U.S.S. G'MAT System C-111 Capt. M. Bligh

W.E.B. DUBOIS Starbase 102 Capt. N. Land

C-57-D Lunar Recycling* Capt. J.J. Adams

C.A.R. 54-Q Arlington IV Capt. R. Sayatz

U.S.S. D'HJTY Cameron Station Capt. F. Dreeson*

U.S.S. MIN'OW Zero Capt. K.L. Gifford

G.H.T. PER'UT Deneb XX Capt. R. Philbin

S.S. OREGON Dytallix Capt. W. Clinton

U.S.S. ARIES Liliput IX Capt. M. Grenge*

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C.A.R. 54-D might be named after the old TV show "Car 54, Where Are You?"

C-57-D is named after the ship from Forbidden Planet.

G.H.T Per'ot might be named after H. Ross Perot.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Lunar Receiving" might refer to the Lunar Receiving Laboratory, a facility NASA built to analyze moon rocks: http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/SP-4214/ch8-4.html

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, it seems like most of these become obvious as soon as you realize what they're references to. I think that's the route to take, rather than just guessing at the letters.

I've left out explanantions for most of the places, since they tend to be the usual meaningless jumbles of Greek letters or modern place names.

U.S.S. Yorktown - often-used ship name, American Revolution battle
Theta Omicron IV
Capt. H. Zimmerman - Herman Zimmerman, Trek set designer

U.S.G.S. Powell - USGS is the US Geological Survey, Powell might be Colin Powell
Hispanola Minor
Capt. S. Sondheim - Stephen Sondheim, composer of musicals

C.G.M. Gh'aster - unknown, but Ghaster is a surname
Jura'assic IV - probably a reference to Jurassic Park
Capt. H. Prince - Harold "Hal" Prince, theatre producer/director

F.H.S. Ge*ero
Centre Minor
Capt. F. *

G.C.S. *
Annandale - poem "How Annandale Went Out" by...
Capt. E. Robinson - Edwin Arlington Robinson, poet

U.S.S. Yosemite - often-used ship name, national park in California
New Brooklyn IX
Capt. J. Swift - Jonathan Swift, author of Gulliver's Travels

I.T.A. Elmira - possibly a reference to Elmyra Duff, a character on "Tiny Toon Adventures"; first letter might also be an 'L'
Canine Delta V - if "Elmira" refers to TTA, "Canine" could be because of the character's affinity for animals
Capt. G. Gulliver - title character of Gulliver's Travels

U.S.S. Hispanola - Caribbean island shared by Haiti and the Dominican Republic
Sol System - well-endowed, mopey Flareite (or not)
Capt. J. Gump - likely not a reference to Forrest Gump, as it would have to be the book (the movie wasn't released yet), not to mention the 'J'

U.S.S. Gallico - possibly Paul Gallico, author of various stories that became movies, including The Poseidon Adventure
Starbase 5?
Capt. J. Priestly - either actor Jason Priestly, or a typo for chemist Joseph Priestley

F.G.M.S. Gyt'aerat
Neutral Zone
Capt. B. Crane - probably Bob Crane, actor

G.S. 12
Organia
Capt. H. Ellison - Harlan Ellison, author

U.S.S. G'mat - possibly either some Narn, or the Graduate Management Admission Test
System C-111
Capt. W. Bligh - William Bligh, captain of HMS Bounty

W.E.B. DuBois - W.E.B. DuBois, author
Starbase 102
Capt. N. Land

C-57-D - spaceship in Forbidden Planet
Lunar Receiving
Capt. J.J. Adams - Commander John J. Adams (Leslie Nielsen), captain of the C-57-D

C.A.R. 54-D - '60s TV show "Car 54, Where Are You?"
Arlington IV - possibly Edwin Arlington Robinson again, or Arlington, Virginia
Capt. ?. Savage - the initial looks like an 'R', but it could be a 'B', and a reference to actor Ben Savage, brother of actor Fred Savage, and star of TV's "Boy Meets World", contemporary to DS9

U.S.S. D'hjty
Cameron Station
Capt. F. *

U.S.S. Min'ow - tiny ship that sailed on a three-hour tour from a tropic port on "Gilligan's Island"
Zero - a number, a candy bar, a Smashing Pumpkins song...
Capt. K.L. Gifford - Kathie Lee Gifford, television personality and child labor exploiter

G.H.D. Per'ot - probably H. Ross Perot, super-rich, big-eared, and founder of the Reform Party
Deneb XX
Capt. R. Philbin - Regis Philbin, television personality and wearer of shiny neckties

S.S. Oregon - one of the United States of America
Dytallix
Capt. W. Clinton - probably William Jefferson Clinton, then-president of Oregon and the other states, commonwealths, and district

U.S.S. A*
Lilliput IX - island country of tiny people in "Gulliver's Travels"
Capt. M. George

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
N. Land could be harpoonist Ned Land, a Jules Verne character, also familiar from the Disney movie adaptation of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea".

I probably shouldn't even suggest that R. Savage stands for Rick Savage, a rather well-known stage name. After all, I don't know what sort of tastes Okuda has.

The Powell in USGS could be John Wesley Powell (1834-1902), great explorer of the American Southwest, and one hell of a whitewater adventurer.

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are the bmp-files clearer, Scott? Or is it clearer on a TV screen?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Scott Nixon
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Scott Nixon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The .bmp files are pretty dark. I've thought about sending you the original capture files so that you could post them and let people play with them as they will (adjusting the brightness and contrast in a variety of ways using one's own photo editing software)--the only problem is that the .bmp files are much larger than .jpg files (900 kb vs 70 kb), so e-mailing them would mean waiting a long time for the e-mail to load. But if you're willing, then I don't mind sending them to you via e-mail 2-at-a-time (about 2 mb per e-mail).

--------------------
"One person's modus ponens is someone else's modus tollens."

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, sure. Please send them.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
The Powell in USGS could be John Wesley Powell (1834-1902), great explorer of the American Southwest, and one hell of a whitewater adventurer.

Almost certainly, considering that the United States Geological Survey (U.S.G.S.) has an award named for J.W. Powell and a ship named after him, IIRC.

Good spotting on the Ned Land bit, too, Timo!

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.
Tim, the last ship is the Aries.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the name "Aries", I saw that posted above, but it's only in the one picture, and it's blurry enough that I didn't really feel confident about it.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's Aries not Areis or however they spelt it in Nemesis.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aires in Nemesis. Hmm. Maybe they were thinking about Buenos Aires when they made the graphic?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Aries" is the Latin word for "ram", and the name of the zodiacal constellation for which the ship was named.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Ok, I've uploaded the .bmps to the same directory.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps