Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Judging the Tech ["Judgement" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Judging the Tech ["Judgement" Spoilers]
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
He did, but it's unlikely that a shuttle could have made it all the way from Klingon space to DS9 in anything less than a few months.

More unlikely than, let's say, getting from Earth to Qo'nos in 4 days? [Big Grin] No, just kidding. I'm fine with the RO/RO theory.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like an interesting idea - if we assume that there are enough shuttles without the capability of deep-space-travel. But from what we saw over the years even ships like the Yridian vessel/Nenebek or the Ferengi shuttle - both not larger than the average Type 6 - and even Geordi's shuttlepod (OK, shut up, let's forget that one [Wink] ) are able to travel at long distances.
Don't get me wrong - I may have just crippled my own idea about the Promellian being a Klingon - but if he really arrived aboard a shuttle, then he, like most others, doesn't have to rely on such a "ferry".

Did he really say shuttle?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-- Looks like that refugee transport was a redress of the T'Pau model from TNG, painted green. Of course it was almost certainly CGI, but I thought I recognized the nose section and the curved cowling of the engines.

-- The John Vickery character called the ship the Bortas during Archer's recounting of events. I didn't have the CC on, but it sure sounded like a "B" to me...

-- I'll be damned, that Klingon D5 battle cruiser actually looks imposing while still looking relatively retro!

-- As for its apparently identical design with the tanker/raider from "Marauders," doesn't it make sense that those raiders might have had their own D5 cruiser (stolen or otherwise) retrofitted with those fuel tanks. After all, we've already seen that the Empire is a lot less organized than in TOS and TNG times, so it's not that big a stretch, IMO.

-- Looks like the NX-01 had a third phase cannon on the starboard quarter... during Archer's recounting of the fight, the first shots looked to come from the usual position of the fore-starboard phase cannon. Then the last shot seemed to come from another mount on the direct starboard saucer. We didn't see the actual emitters since the shot was from over the top of the saucer, but the angle made the points of origin pretty clear to me.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Klingon Judge sure had chubby cheeks. [Razz]

I don't see anything wrong with Noggras' ship being that unidentified ship docked at DS9. Obviously the Klingon Empire has a variety of ships and budget costs limit us to only seeing a half a dozen different types, so its really a pity that we didn't get to see that ship ever reused again.

As for "Judgement":

-I am not sure how much you can count on the closed captioning for that episode. I noticed that they spelled the STVI "Rura Penthe" in this episode "Rura Pente".

-Same with "Som Ra" and "Somraw" (or was it Som'raH"??) from "Sleeping Dogs".

-Also, the "Vor'Tas" didn't really sound like "Bortas" to me, but just the first of many cases of unoriginal thought.

-One other note on this episodes overuse of similar or reused words as previously mentioned, one other was "Kholof" which sounded remarkably like "Koloth" spoken, the first of which obviously predates the latter, it still seems that the writers are either poor spellers or awefully short on fresh ideas.

Finally, this ep. was at all bad, but it sure seemed awefully like a 'sellout' to appeal to TNG/TUC fans, and why, oh why, can't you see their breath while on a frozen planet???

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about anyone else, but when we see the exterior shots of the Klingon colony-thing, I saw what looked like a Vulcan ship flying away. Complete with warp ring.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a site with small 'caps of the ships:

http://s2e19.ent6.vze.com/KlingonD5.htm

The rebel ship looks like a new design to me.

I really wish they wouldn't have used that olive green color scheme for the D-5. It would have looked so much more retro if it were blue or gray.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't think the battlecruiser looked much like the earlier freighter at all.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure about that?

This ep was pretty good, despite being a rather shameless rip of STVI. (From the courtroom to Rura Penthe, and even including right down to a torpedo ploy! [Roll Eyes] )

Despite what I've heard others say, I'm hoping they continue a strong Klingon presence on the series. While many are saying that they're "tired" of the Klingons, I say that they always have been and always will be a central pivotal element of Trek, and this is how it should be. What's more, I am thoroughly excited by the fact that ENT has the opportunity to get back to the old us-versus-them scenarios. (While I don't disapprove of TNG and DS9's extensive efforts to humanize and flesh them out, I have always felt that Klingons are at their best when they are portrayed as villains. They're so deliciously...villainy. [Razz] I have indeed been missing the days of Kor and Kang and Kruge going head to head with Kirk and the gang...)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nice to know that Klingon female clevage continuity is being observed. Anyway, the episode was good even though it did look like ST6. The D-5 should get different nacelles thought... they look like something I've seen before...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, there goes the theory about the D-5 battlecruisers being the ones seen on TAS. (I guess Kor had two vessels named Klothos during his many years of commanding...)

I think this new design is much more suitible for a D-5 class cruiser, given that the TAS version was almost identical to the classic D-7.

quote:
I have an idea about the alternate spellings of Klingon names. Suppose that, as with Chinese or Russian here on Earth, there are multiple ways of translating words into English because the alphabets used are different. (ie, Mao Tse-Tung and Peking vs. Mao Zedong and Bejing, etc.) So Bortas and Vor'tas, Tae'ghoko and Ty'Gokor, and Somraw and Sam Ra are all just approximations of English letter translations of Klingon characters.
That could also apply to Quo'nos and Kronos.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://s2e19.ent6.vze.com/KlingonD5.htm

Qo'noS is merely the hardcore Okrandian spelling of Kronos, just as those sketchy Klingon-speaking guys insist on converting Klingon to Thing'lan (or whatever it is). For whatever reason the Qo'noS spelling still kicks around where otherwise English transliteration is used exclusively.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha! I thought there was something odd about that first shot in Duras' version of things. I guess we can chalk this up to the confusion of viewpoints. Though, I was thinking through the whole thing, surely the sensor logs from the Klingon ship would be available for analysis?

I'm still not sure about the D5's lineage, but I certainly confess the resemblance.

I also didn't think of ST VI during the fight. I mean, that's hardly the only time someone shot a torpedo at a Klingon ship.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concerning the Klothos thing.. If the Duras family likes ships named BortaS, then the House of Koloth could simply have a thing for ships named Klothos (or whatever the 24th century Thling'an'Jil translitteration would be). Right?

The Klingons strike me as somewhat similar to Romans here. They display a singular lack of wit in inventing names, for themselves as well as for their possessions. A real warrior no doubt "needs no steenking names", or something like that.

Yeah, I dig the D-5. And the idea that the marauders would have used one as their tanker. And that the Promellian-in-disguise was a Klingon design, since the shape and color and timing do speak for that concept (Noggra said there was a shuttle accident, but did he really say he *arrived* by shuttle?). What I don't dig is the failure to do more with the TOS uniform idea... The lady in the first photo seems to wear texture that could be similar to the TOS rags, but the male uniforms are too leathery for my tastes.

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and I just heard "Judgement" had something about there having been more varied Klingon castes before, and the society moving towards an all-warrior ideal now.

I hereby declare this a subject matter for the Starships & Technology forum, in case somebody wants to discuss the mechanics of this fascinating process, and how it affects Klingon fashion and language.

The Enterprise forum of course remains the primary one for this stuff...

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If the Duras family likes ships named BortaS
Just to clarify, the TNG-Bortas was Gowron's flagship during the civil war.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps