Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Judging the Tech ["Judgement" Spoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Judging the Tech ["Judgement" Spoilers]
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Embarrassed]

Timo Saloniemi

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Despite what I've heard others say, I'm hoping they continue a strong Klingon presence on the series. While many are saying that they're "tired" of the Klingons, I say that they always have been and always will be a central pivotal element of Trek, and this is how it should be.

As much as I would like to agree with you on this, we've just seen WAY too much of it. I bet, from a quick glace, that we have been subjected to upwards of 50 episodes dedicated to Klingons, with a Klingon "A" story and numerous others with a Klingon "B" story. This greatly outnumbers all other races with exception of perhaps the Dominion. I fear that TPTB may turn the Klingons in Enterprise to something comparable to the Borg in Voyager - in other words, a cop out for a fanfare episode.

Based on what we know about the Klingons, they could easily wipeout Starfleet and thus could easily be the 'Borg' or 'Dominion' of this series, and I don't want to see this series turn that direction. Its bad enough that we get something like 2 or 3 episodes per season dedicated to what the pilot introduced, and for that matter we havent even seen 'Future Guy' or 'Silik' since the beginning of this season for that matter. This isn't Voyager ppl, you don't need to abandon the original premise so quickly!

So AFAI see it, the Klingons really dont need to be exploited for this series (as they have in the past) as they really don't seem to play a pivotal role in the founding of the Federation, as we have already seen their role played out through TOS to DS9.

And dammit....Rura Penthe is a frickin frozen asteroid, why the hell couldnt you see their breath!??!?!?!?!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The trick is to eat snow. Didn't you watch "Enemy at the Gates"?

Timo Saloniemi

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just to clarify, the TNG-Bortas was Gowron's flagship during the civil war.
In that case maybe Gowron was rubbing Duras's face in something...or it's just a common name for Klingon warships. Named after a former Chancellor or Emperor perhaps? Or it could just as easily be the Klingon word for "whoop-ass". [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Or it could just as easily be the Klingon word for "whoop-ass". [Big Grin]

Or it's the Klingon word for "Vengeance" as Shik pointed out on page 1. [Wink]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Klingons the one tends to lead to the other. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This hasn't been mentioned yet, but c'mon, I think kudos need to be extended to the makeup people for maintaining forehead ridge continuity between this Duras and his descendants.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Perhaps they reused the forehead mold, they save those don't they???

Also, an interesting twist that "Judgement" could have made, seeing it was pre-establishing threads into already familiar Klingon families, would have been to make 'Kolos' (the J.G. Hertzler character) be an early ancestor to 'Martok'. As we know, 'Martok' was originally a 'commoner' and it would seem that that would have fit well into the bloodlines portrayed from 'Kolos', who seemed to already be somewhat of a low-level-to-the-extent-of-a-commoner-type individual.

--------------------

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read on the internet beliefs put forth that the D-# classification was created by Starfleet and was very similiar to American efforts to identify Soviet submarines during the Cold War. If the classification system was in place before the Federation Starfleet and was utilized by the Klingons, I think we can put this theory to rest.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

That or someone jackass on the writing staff had to go muck everything up with the Klingon ships in ENT again. [Frown]

However, they could also have various designs for the "D-5" designation such as: "ye ole D-5 Battle Cruiser" or "ye ole D-5 Frigate" or hell...maybe its a carrier...as it looks so much like that frieghter from earlier this season, it could easily be designed to be a multipurpose carrier capible of missions from freight to border patrol and so forth. I don't think it has to conform to any specific design clause, as indeed, these are, afterall, aliens we are dealing with.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have read on the internet beliefs put forth that the D-# classification was created by Starfleet
Let's see:

The Klingons in "Enterprise" call the ship a D-5.
Kor referred to his old ship as a D-5 cruiser.
Jefferies painted "D-7" on the TOS model's hull.

Nope, I don't think this theory holds water.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
I have read on the internet beliefs put forth that the D-# classification was created by Starfleet
Let's see:

The Klingons in "Enterprise" call the ship a D-5.
Kor referred to his old ship as a D-5 cruiser.
Jefferies painted "D-7" on the TOS model's hull.

Nope, I don't think this theory holds water.

I agree with you, but I'd just like to clarify one thing. I don't think Jefferies really assigned any meaning to the symbols he put on the battlecruiser model. At the time they were probably just meaningless alien-looking characters. But then, IIRC, fandom created a complete alphabet for the Klingon language and assigned the characters on the old TOS model the translation of "D-7-4." Okrand may have used the same alphabet when he created the official Klingon language, I don't know though...

On another note, I was reading through The Making of Star Trek the other day and found a quote from Gene Roddenberry that is the apparent origin of the term "D-7." I'm sure some people here have heard this story, but I figured some mightn't have, so here it is:

quote:
YES, I THINK WE HAVE AN EXCEPTIONAL CREW. IT�S LIKE A FAMILY. WE HAVE OUR FIGHTS, BUT THERE IS A GREAT AFFECTION FOR EACH OTHER. IT�S LIKE BEING MARRIED TO THIRTY OTHER PEOPLE. YOU BEGIN TO SENSE THEIR MOODS, AND WHEN THEY ARE TIRED, YOU CARE. I WENT ON THE STAGE ONE DAY, AND THEY WERE ALL READY AND WAITING FOR ME, BECAUSE THEY KNEW I WASREALLY EXHAUSTED FROM SOME LONG REWRITE SESSIONS. AS SOON AS I WALKED UP TO THE SET, BILL AND LEONARD BLEW A SCENE, BUT THEY BLEW IT ON PURPOSE AND BEGAN ARGUING VERY VIOLENTLY. BILL WAS SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF HIS VOICE, �LEONARD! WHAT DO YOU MEAN SAYING THIS IS A D-7 KLINGON SHIP? ITS A D-6!� LEONARD SHOUTED BACK, �NO, YOU IDIOT, THE D-6 HAS FOUR DOORS OVER HERE AND THE D-7 ONLY HAS TWO!� BILL IMMEDIATELY SHOUTED BACK, �NO, NO, NO�IT�S THE OTHER WAY AROUND. YOU'VE GOT IT ALL WRONG.�
WHILE ALL OF THIS IS GOING ON, I�M STANDING THERE, BEGINNING TO GET FRUSTRATED, WATCHING THE MINUTES TICK BY AND MENTALLY COUNTING THE MONEY WE'RE LOSING IN EXPENSIVE CREW TIME, BECAUSE THE CAMERAS AREN�T ROLLING. AND AS THE ARGUMENT CONTINUED, I�M THINKING TO MYSELF, �WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT? THEY'VE GONE TOO FAR!� THEN I BEGAN THINKING THAT I SHOULD REMEMBER WHICH IS THE D-6 OR THE D-7. FINALLY I COULDNT STAND IT ANY MORE, AND SO I WALKED IN BETWEEN THEM AND SAID, �COME ON, FELLOWS, IT REALLY DOESN�T MATTER. LETS GET ON WITH THE SCENE.�
THEN THE WHOLE CREW BROKE UP LAUGHING. THIS WAS THEIR WAY OF SAYING TO ME, �HEY, TIME IS NOT THAT SERIOUS. RELAX A LITTLE.� THEY REALLY ARE THE FINEST GROUP OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.

I guess that the fandom community sided with Nimoy. [Wink]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Timo
Member # 245

In case this really deserves the attention it got, no, Noggra never says he arrived by shuttle in "Sons of Mogh". He mentions a shuttle accident in which Kurn supposedly was injured, but he could have mentioned a transporter accident or an exploding helm console accident just as well - all of those are accidents that typically take place during standard starship operations.

Now, the accident was said to have taken place a few hours prior. Supposedly, one can't reach too many planets from DS9 in just a few hours, be it a ship or a shuttle one is flying. But one could still reach some (think "Dax" or "For the Cause"), so it would make sense for the shuttle in question to be a starship auxiliary shuttling between the ship and a surface.

It would make less sense for a shuttle to have an accident in the middle of nowhere, be it starship auxiliary or an independent vessel. And zero sense for it to have an accident there, and yet reach DS9, unless it indeed was a starship auxiliary and the ship took the injured pilot to the station.

Timo Saloniemi

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Let's clarify this once and for all:

First:

WORF: There is a man named Noggra... a friend of our father. He will be here in a few hours. He has agreed to provide Kurn with a new identity...and a new family...Noggra will supply all the answers Kurn needs.

Later:

KURN: Where... where am I?

NOGGRA: On a Federation space station. Our shuttle was damaged... you were hit by a plasma discharge.

KURN: I... I don't remember being in a shuttle... in fact, I don't remember anything.

BASHIR: The plasma discharge damaged your hippocampus... you're suffering from a severe form of amnesia. I'm afraid you may never regain
all your memory.

Overall, we need to keep in mind the entire conversation was a ruse, trick, deception, pretense, subterfuge...all to "explain" his amnesia. The ship shown could very well be an older style ship or something we havent seen before simply because it belongs to a small klingon family. Nothing in the text can be clarified as truthful regarding what the ship is or could be, consider for a moment that in the 7th season of TNG we saw a Toron-class shuttle for the first time....who is to say this isn't *new* as well...

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps