Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » T-Negative #27 (Yes, I *found* it!) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: T-Negative #27 (Yes, I *found* it!)
Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Bonhomme Richard
She was an elderly, high pooped, French East Indiaman of 900 tons named LE DUC DU DURAS and, in 1779, she was lying at L`Orient on the French Atlantic coast.

At the instigation of M. de Sartine, the French Minister of Marine, she was bought by King Louis XIV of France and put at the disposal of Captain John Paul Jones of the American Continental Navy.
She was originally armed for protection against pirates in far eastern waters and carried her guns on one deck, twenty-eight 12-pounders, with six lighter pieces, six-pounders, on the poop-deck and forecastle. Jones had ports cut in the gun room on the deck below where he mounted six 18-pounder guns - making forty-two guns in all.

Jones renamed her BONHOMME RICHARD in honor of Dr Benjamin Franklin, the American representative in France, who had used Richard as a pen-name. Four other vessels, mainly crewed by Frenchmen, the PALLAS, VENGEANCE, an armed brig, a large cutter CERF and a warship ALLIANCE, were added to make a small squadron under the American flag, with Jones in command. The crew of the BONHOMME RICHARD included 150 American seamen, 100 of whom had recently been exchanged as prisoners of war for captured English sailors.

Point the First:
That's a very silly way to name a ship - even sillier than the name itself.

Point the Second:
The Duke of Duras???? Conspiracy!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*fumes* Everybody says what I want to say before I can even hit reply.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
She was an elderly, high pooped, French East Indiaman of 900 tons

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mim: I don't think screen caps from DVDs or videotapes will be enough here. At least other people have tried looking at screencaps from the scenes in question and could find nothing. I think someone has to trackdown some film clips, just like Greg Jein used.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:

Perhaps the USS Starship was a prototype that was commissioned but never in active service, thus eliminating "This is Captain Smith of the Starship Starship".

Was the motto on the plaque:

"We built this city on rock and roll"? [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though not mentioned, this does kill the notion the registry of the U.S.S. Constitution is seen or could be seen in "Space Seed".

When we did see the registry NCC-1700, it is disassociated from any name (ex. "Court Martial")or on a starship with Connie specifications with no corresponding name (ex. "Datalore"). I discount the computer displays in the movies for reasons of poor quality resolution and the Technical Manual is becoming a very rare item. For me, the class ship has no known registry.

This is my shiplist for the Connies:

1st Tier Identification: Starship Class
2nd Tier Identification: Mk IX
3rd Tier Identification: Constitution Class
4th Tier Identification: U.S.S. Constitution

Production Ships:

Known registries

NCC-956 U.S.S. Eagle
NCC-1017 U.S.S. Constellation
NCC-1657 U.S.S. Potemkin
NCC-1700
NCC-1701 U.S.S. Enterprise
NCC-1701-A U.S.S. Enterprise
NCC-1831 U.S.S. Intrepid
NCC-1895 U.S.S. Endeavour

Unknown registries

NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Defiant
NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Excalibur
NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Exeter
NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Hood
NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Lexington

Ships of unknown class

NCC-1371 U.S.S. Republic
NCC-1664
NCC-1672
NCC-1685
NCC-1697
NCC-1703
NCC-1709
NCC-1718

NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Antares
NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Carolina
NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Valiant
NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Yorktown

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newark:
For me, the class ship has no known registry.

I can kindasee your point, if you are going to be strict over the "canon" definition. But it doesn't change the fact that for pretty much everyone who has had anything to do with the show (that has cared), NCC-1700 has equalled the Constitution, and if it ever came up in the future, that is the number and name they would almost certainly use.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Though not mentioned, this does kill the notion the registry of the U.S.S. Constitution is seen or could be seen in "Space Seed".

When we did see the registry NCC-1700, it is disassociated from any name (ex. "Court Martial")or on a starship with Connie specifications with no corresponding name (ex. "Datalore"). I discount the computer displays in the movies for reasons of poor quality resolution and the Technical Manual is becoming a very rare item. For me, the class ship has no known registry.

1st Tier Identification: Starship Class
2nd Tier Identification: Mk IX
3rd Tier Identification: Constitution Class
4th Tier Identification: U.S.S. Constitution

Production Ships:

Known registries

NCC-956 U.S.S. Eagle
NCC-1017 U.S.S. Constellation
NCC-1657 U.S.S. Potemkin
NCC-1700
NCC-1701 U.S.S. Enterprise
NCC-1701-A U.S.S. Enterprise
NCC-1831 U.S.S. Intrepid
NCC-1895 U.S.S. Endeavour

Unknown registries

NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Defiant
NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Excalibur
NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Exeter
NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Hood
NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Lexington

Ships of unknown class

NCC-1371 U.S.S. Republic
NCC-1664
NCC-1672
NCC-1685
NCC-1697
NCC-1703
NCC-1709
NCC-1718

NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Antares
NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Carolina
NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Valiant
NCC-xxxx U.S.S. Yorktown

That's the way I see it, I think.

A few questions (I am not challenging you, I just want to know how we know things):

1) The Enterprises and Constellation were seen in episodes and films, and the Republic was mentioned, but how do we know the Eagle, Potemkin, Intrepid and Endeavour's numbers? Were some of them seen in Operation Retrieve?

2) How do we know the Exeter is a Constitution?

3) How do we know that the Constellation is a Constitution and not just a similar looking ship?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Constellation was a Constitution because uhm.. it was one. It was a Connie AMT model, used to represent a Connie. It was theorized later that it might be a different, yet similar class because of the imperfections in this early kit and the strange registry. But strictly speaking, it was a Constitution.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How do we know the Exeter is a Constitution?
Because it looked like a Constitution?
Phoenix
Member # 966

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
How do we know the Exeter is a Constitution?
Because it looked like a Constitution?
Sorry, I didn't know it had appeared. Which episode was this?

Edit: I just realised my brain isn't in gear. Captain Tracy or something, wasn't it? The one where he killed his crew?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Omega Glory"

They were killed from a virus that was brought back to the ship from the away team from the Yank-Kohm planet of which name I cannot recall, where the ppl there lived a reallly reallly long time.

Also, RE: a post last page...both Picard and O'bRien did ID the Enterprise as a Constitution Class...I dont think anyone specifically addressed that...if so...nevermind.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

}SNIPPERS{

Uhm.... Well, it's not exactly TOS, but you get quite a clear view of the blueprints that Scotty is looking at in ST:VI. They quite clearly show that at least the refit/-A Enterprise is a Constitution class. I don't have the film grabs handy, but I'm pretty certain it also gives the registry as NCC-1700, tho admit I might well be wrong and mentally placing that in my memory.

And there is that little bit of insite that Greg Jein gave for the "T-Negative" article which clearly shows the words "Constitution class", after all. Doesn't give the registry, but at least does justify the class name.... [Smile]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The paper in ST VI says NCC-1701-A. However, the security screen in ST III says NCC-1700 (and shows the TOS Enterprise instead of the Movie Enterprise).

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it really shows the imperfect drawing of the TOS Enterprise... i.e. the bridge and decks 2/3 structure.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps