Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » T-Negative #27 (Yes, I *found* it!) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: T-Negative #27 (Yes, I *found* it!)
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
I still think it is quite odd that such a large percentage of Star Fleets' core are all under repair at the same time at the same place....
I thought we decided that it wasn't necessarily a repair schedule but could be something else, like a mission readout or fleet operations overview.
I dont think the "% Complete" refers to missions; and the cap I have has 3 words above that cut out that probably would clear a lot up....page 6 of this lil gem seems to think the same thing about it being a repair schedule, some of which can be based on the lines about ships undergoing maintenance. Consider also that if that is a repair base they would have to be at full capacity if they need to pull the Intrepid to get the Enterprise in...so by that we already know a few ships are there

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another possibility is that the model was popular and has been around for a few years, but they needed replacements, so commissioned another dozen-or-so that we see on TV, as the Constitution class. Older ships might be refered to as the Constitution class, since theyre all basically the same, but the Constitutions get all the press.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a simple way of looking at this

All the Ships were Starship Class untill the new connie class came into play and thus renamed Constitution class

See im a mad man [Big Grin]

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Akira:

All the Ships were Starship Class untill the new connie class came into play and thus renamed Constitution class

Ack. So this does either mean that there has been a "USS Starship" or that the Constitution has to be something absolutely new and brilliant that they decide to change their whole nameing/class pattern. [Roll Eyes]

The Enterprise is NX-01. First ship of the NX-class.
The Enterprise is NCC-1701. 1701st ship of Starfleet or 1st ship of the 17th class of starfleet vessels or 2nd ship of a new class of starfleet vessels that started its registry run with 1700.
Those are the two known registry patterns. But maybe there was a third one, prior to the second, known system, in the time between the founding of Federation's Starfleet and TOS. Maybe it's even one of the versions of the second pattern (since to this day we still haven't been able or willing to pick one of them). At some point it was decided (maybe when SF grew too large) that they needed a "logical" (logical in "'s because we all know that it is far from logical, but Starfleet probably wasn't aware of that [Wink] ) new system and invented what we know today. There could have been another change in the registry system between TOS and the 24th century. From all we know, allthough Okuda says otherwise, TOS and TNG registry systems do not work the same way.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
>SNIP<
There could have been another change in the registry system between TOS and the 24th century. From all we know, allthough Okuda says otherwise, TOS and TNG registry systems do not work the same way.

This is a part of my favorite theory. I subscribe to the FJ registry series because it more closely resembles the registry of the modern U.S. Navy, wherein blocks of registry numbers are used for specific ship classes. While it's not 100% that simple, the basic thinking is.

Yep. I prefer to think that at one point in time, StarFleet made sense in their registry order. Somewhere during the 24th Century, however, they decided to change that and just assign a registry number to each individual ship as it was approved, most likely.

Works for me, anyhow. You don't have to like it. And even if you do, you're all wrong anyhow - unless you agree with me. [Wink]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
So, from what I know of phasers, I'm looking at a prefire chamber, with the power feed from the bottom, and the emitter assembly that clutter on the top and to the right of the blob.

If we could actually read what the labels say (the texts are too faded in the box!), we wouldn't need to guess!

The one above the lower diagram says "ANTI-CYCLING" but that's the only one I can really make out. Perhaps when Greg Tyler posts his scans he'll have had a slightly clearer copy to work from.

quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
...the cap I have has 3 words above that cut out that probably would clear a lot up...

"STAR SHIP STATUS"

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"STAR SHIP STATUS"
Yes, we already know that's what the chart's about. But what's the title? [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pardon? I can sense that was somehow supposed to be clever, but I don't get it.

The heading of the chart reads "STAR SHIP STATUS" and the one above the graph reads "% COMPLETE."

-MMoM [Confused]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Akira:

Perhaps the USS Starship was a prototype that was commissioned but never in active service, thus eliminating "This is Captain Smith of the Starship Starship".

Incidentally,
a) when was the first time "Constitution Class" was used?
b) was it ever used later to refer to the TOS Enterprise?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
Incidentally,
a) when was the first time "Constitution Class" was used?

As we've just now found out from that display, TOS "Space Seed" or alternatively "The Trouble With Tribbles." (BTW, I'm still waiting for that screencap from any willing body...)

quote:

b) was it ever used later to refer to the TOS Enterprise?

Yes. Immediately coming to mind are TNG "The Naked Now" and "Relics." Possibly DS9 "Trials and Tribble-ations" as well...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time Constitution was used is allegedly that phaser diagram from Space Seed. Although no-one has apparenly seen it anywhere in any episode.

I don't remember very well, but it could be that they specifically called the TOS Enterprise a Connie in "Relics"?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With regard to the Starship = Constitution theory, I am pretty sure that Archer calls himself Captain Archer of the Starship Enterprise, at least 100 years before TOS, which would suggest that (regardless of the original intentions of the writers) Starship does not mean Constitution Class.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
With regard to the Starship = Constitution theory, I am pretty sure that Archer calls himself Captain Archer of the Starship Enterprise, at least 100 years before TOS, which would suggest that (regardless of the original intentions of the writers) Starship does not mean Constitution Class.

Speaking in "real" Trek terms, you're correct. But generally the issue in question in our discussions on this particular subject is whether these ships were intended to be Connies originally or not. So the fact that "Starship" was synonymous with "vessel of the Enterprise's design" then becomes a significant identifier.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

I suspect that, if you want to take the intentions of the writers, all SF ships ever mentioned in TOS were supposed to be Connies, for the simple reason that they (rather naively) thought that SF didn't have any other ship designs.

However, apart from the 4 Connies in "The Ultimate Computer" (Potemkin, Excalibur, Hood and Lexington, I think), the Defiant which appeared in an episode, and the Constitution which was obviously a Connie, I am inclined to think of all other ships as "unknown", including the Constellation, which I don't think was a Connie - only a very similar looking ship.

I will not go making up imaginary classes for these ships, however (especially not ones called Bonhomme Richard, which I think is a rather silly name for a ship in the first place). [Smile]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
(especially not ones called Bonhomme Richard, which I think is a rather silly name for a ship in the first place)

Tell that to Commodore Jones! [Razz]
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps