Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DS9 Season 3 DVD, it's here!! (For real!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: DS9 Season 3 DVD, it's here!! (For real!)
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, it seemed more appropriate to have this topic over here. Anyway, despite not having a job, this set was on sale for $80US and I couldn't resist! [Big Grin]

Anyway, I've already began caps for "The Search" but I need to cut the number of caps I've made for it down by about three-quarters.
[Roll Eyes]
From the other threat I see that there are requests for miscellaneous caps from "The Die is Cast", the Cardassian control room in "Defiant" (& presumably the battle sequence) and Dax in "Equilibrium". The question is, is there anything else anyone has interest in specifically seeing?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh...almost forgot...for the sake of "notes on tech": I noticed a couple interesting things that may or maynot have been noticed before.

The first thing was in "The Search" when DS9 detected the Defiant while it was cloaked triggering a proximity alert or whatever...Kira said that it was 300m from the station and O'Brien said that that was almost within the stations shield parimeters; an insight of just how far out the shield ''bubble'' goes around the station.

The second thing is just the note about it taking 6 seconds to complete a transport, regarding the time needed to decloak, transport, and recloak. Being not so tech-minded in such manners, I never understood the complications in firing or beaming while cloaked. The shields aren't up so it shouldn't be a problem, but it is, why is that? Obviously Chang & Co. overcame it 80years earlier in TUC for his BoP, why hasn't that been overcome again?

Finally, RE: the threads about "Where's the Money?" and "Civilian Tech"...

In "Explorers" while Ben and Jake were talking about Ben's first year at SF Academy, Ben said that during the first few days&weeks he was homesick and that he would transport home every night at 6pm for dinner as if he was still living there. Jake then said, "You must have used up a months worth of transporter credits", apparently suggesting that on Earth each person/family has an allotment of 'transporter credits' per month. Maybe this opens up a few doors on those topics.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Obviously Chang & Co. overcame it 80years earlier in TUC for his BoP, why hasn't that been overcome again?
The semi-official explanation is that Chang's cloak and anti-cloak technology develop at a high rate. So, Chang's cloak wouldn't be of any use to the latest Federation cloak detectors. And in turn, a better Klingon cloak means you can't fire through it anymore.

And perhaps 'current' technologies are advancing faster and cloaks are so good that there isn't enough time to develop fire-while-cloak tech.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My major request would be to see some good shots of the big tactical display on the wall in the Cardassian control center in "Defiant."

And possibly some good comparison shots of the Defiant and the Galor in said episode.

Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
And possibly some good comparison shots of the Defiant and the Galor in said episode.

The Defiant looked overly tiny when it's above that Galor -- about 60m long IIRC.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh! Ooh! I'd like a few pics of the Defiant's first bridge set. There are numerous differences between the sets in the first and subsequent appearances: the whole back of the bridge was raised one step, for example, and there were far fewer monitors. They removed the step up to facilitate filming, and added more monitors to fill in all the blank spaces on the walls. Plus, in "The Search" they blowed it up real good. [Smile]

If we could get a few caps of the bridge that show this, that'd be awesome.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Here are caps from The Search (1&2), there are 78 total. Mostly beauty shots, displays and some of the featured characters. I definantly wont get this carried away with the rest of the season, save "Defiant" and "The Die is Cast", which I am working on right now.

http://www2.gvsu.edu/~albaitia/ds9-3_The_Search_1.zip

http://www2.gvsu.edu/~albaitia/ds9-3_The_Search_2.zip

http://www2.gvsu.edu/~albaitia/ds9-3_The_Search_3.zip

http://www2.gvsu.edu/~albaitia/ds9-3_The_Search_4.zip

http://www2.gvsu.edu/~albaitia/ds9-3_The_Search_5.zip

http://www2.gvsu.edu/~albaitia/ds9-3_The_Search_6.zip

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet! Now... how about those pictures of Dax.

[Smile]

Just from the first batch, I see we have a nice shot of an LCARS display that's using one of the discarded designs for the ship. Cool.

Boy... Jadzia's hair was really bad in this episode. What were they thinking?

Ahhh.... memories of the first time we saw the Defiant fire phasers. The stain is still on my carpet.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
The second thing is just the note about it taking 6 seconds to complete a transport, regarding the time needed to decloak, transport, and recloak. Being not so tech-minded in such manners, I never understood the complications in firing or beaming while cloaked. The shields aren't up so it shouldn't be a problem, but it is, why is that? Obviously Chang & Co. overcame it 80years earlier in TUC for his BoP, why hasn't that been overcome again?

Kruge's BoP was also seen to be able to transport while cloaked in both ST:III & IV, so perhaps the difference is in the Klingon transporter technology and not the cloak.
Of course by the time the D-12 BoP was built this must have changed, since the Duras sisters' ship decloaked to beam Soran and Geordi off of the observatory.

Perhaps the difference in the 23rd century Klingon transporters made them unsafe somehow, perhaps they have a habit of scrambling molecules or they could have caused some kind of cumulative cellular damage? A possible explanation for the smooth foreheads perhaps? j/k [Razz]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Sweet! Now... how about those pictures of Dax.

[Smile]

Soon....I snuck a peek at the end of that episode and her in that white robe-thing isn't really revealing...at least if we were judging based on Enterprise standards... [Wink]

--------------------

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:

Technically... the best way I've heard it explained is that when the cloak is up it is just like having the shields up. The cloaking device either uses the same shield waveguides [TOS... dunno which episode... Spock swoons that Romulan commander] or it's own similar waveguides to take the field from the generator to the outside of the ship. It is [near] impossible to transport through shields because the graviton field and subspace field which make up the shield will scramble the matter stream... for the same reason with a cloaking device which assumably uses a subspace field to encapsulate a vessel and allow sensors to pass through [or absorb them] and allow background radiation to pass through [otherwise just follow the blank space]. The cloaking devices strong subspace field would disrupt the matter stream thus making transport dangerous.

Fire while cloaked is another matter entirely. First off to be completely cloaked the ship would have to have all of it's ports covered with these waveguides so that the cloaking field is complete so to fire you have to open these port covers and expose yourself slightly. Secondly, when you do fire, no matter what it is, detection becomes very easy for the same fact that you just follow the trajectory. The cloaked ship can move after firing, but once you're general location has been made sensors can be trained to look for differences in the background radiation, stars, power levels... etc etc--- it's easy to track them once you have them.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

1) Lots of shots of Cardassian displays, the Defiant and Cardassian Warships from "Defiant".
  • http://www2.gvsu.edu/~albaitia/Ds9-3_Defiant_1.zip
  • http://www2.gvsu.edu/~albaitia/Ds9-3_Defiant_2.zip
  • http://www2.gvsu.edu/~albaitia/Ds9-3_Defiant_3.zip
  • http://www2.gvsu.edu/~albaitia/Ds9-3_Defiant_4.zip
2) The Flaxian Ship & Tain's Warbird from "Improbable Cause"
  • http://www2.gvsu.edu/~albaitia/Ds9-3_Improbable_Cause.zip
3) A few sketches from the Special Features, including Siskos solar sail and other concept art.
  • http://www2.gvsu.edu/~albaitia/DS9-3_Special_Features.zip
4) "The Die is Cast" will be up slowly but surely. It is easily one of my top 5 favorite DS9 eps so I am having a hard time weeding out the riff-raff. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Sorry about the above URLs...
Evidently my post editing privlegeds have been revoked so I cannot fix the above post. I am allowed to edit the post, I just get an FYI when I try to submit it.

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent work and many thnaks for showing us these. Any chance I could use some of them on Trekmania...? Full credit given of course.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Nope prob!

If you like these, you'll love "The Die is Cast"...I'll be posting the first 1/3 of the collection soon...

Also got a few from "The Advisary" which has a pan of engineering and a few other parts of the ship that were visited less frequently + the death of the changling which is pretty cool sfx-wise.

[ June 17, 2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Futurama Guy ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps