Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Decipher�s new book - "Starships" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Decipher�s new book - "Starships"
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone seen this book? It says that the book contains more than 40 starships with illustrations and technical data, both federation and alien. Is this worth buying? I�m only after the pics, to scan and post on my page, so are they any good?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't answer for the pics; however, the reviews have been very positive for this book.
Micromaniac
Member # 546

- posted      Profile for Micromaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have it - it is ok but there are errors shows Jemhaddar Battleship for the cruiser- as it is the only game in town we are stuck with it.
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, the images themselves? Any new angles or pics, or just the same old ones we�ve seen way to many times?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it that this is for some Star Trek RPG? Anyone got any additional information? Amazon.com seems to indicate it's for an RPG, but I have to admit I've not heard of a current Trek game that's out there other than the cardgame. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of technical info is there? Weapons and crew compliments?
Are the dimensions correct or just a re-hash of the DS9TM errors?

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A review said that it's basicaly Starship Spotter with drawings instead of CGI-shots. And that these drawings aren't as accurate as they could be. I guess they didn't have access to actual photos; and even if they had them they are probably not allowed to publish them. AFAIK, these books (and RPGs in general) are not official (or at least not supposed to be). Right?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Micromaniac
Member # 546

- posted      Profile for Micromaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a color side and top view and a photo of each . Hull data/Tactical data/Propulsion data/Operational data/Miscellaneous data as it is part of their role gaming stuff. Mission/Features/Background and ships in service.
With some of these made up.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scans! We need scans!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehh, it's a current book. Buy it yerself!

A more plausible question: Who did the work? Writing, designs, etc.?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about some... preview scans then?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazon listing

Decipher's page about it and various other things.

I can't imagine it has much that would be of interest to anyone who wasn't into the role-playing game. That is, unless it featured nice big CGI shots of ships without "dramatic" lighting effects. What good does a schematic type picture of a ship do me if half the thing is in shadow? I'm looking squarely at you, USS Prometheus pictures. Bah!

But, uh, that is a personal peeve of mine. Anyway, some links.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it on a bookstore last week. The pics are low-res drawings, apparently "computer freehand" instead of reworkings of existing blueprints or other schematics, and only bear a superficial resemblance to the ships they depict. For example the Negh'Var is barely recognizable. There are really weird choices there, too - the ship used in DS9 "Babel" and later modified into Neelix' Baxial is called the "Federation Antares class transport", IIRC, and the ST3 Merchantman is a "Class III Tanker".

I didn't pay attention to the specs given, but I trust them to be as poorly researched as the drawings. IIRC, there were a few new designs there, but none of them very inspiring.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So it's another sucky RPG suppliment and not the grail we all yearn for....

Unseen Frontier! Where are you?!?

Timo! I dub you Sir Timo Percival: go forth and find a book of accurate starship schematics with text descriptions that actually make sense!

...come to think of it: the Flarites could easily make a "starship encyclopedia" with our immense skills....we just need the schematic kings to do the legwork and we can all have a say in the design of the more obscure ships...
We could make the finaproduct a easily printed PDF file available to all of fandom. [Wink]

Am I tilting at windmills here or is this a possibility?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a look at the bottom section of the main page of Flare...

Alternately, I could mail you about 300 pages of shipfic sans pictures, featuring all the canon, Spaceflight Chronology, Ships of the Star Fleet, select FASA/SFB and Trek novel pieces, etc. done not in Jane's format, but in the style of all those Bill Gunston books where a short history is attached to each description of a ship, sub, aircraft or other militaria piece (desk drawer writing becomes expensive after the sixth desk fills up and you have to buy a new room... [Embarrassed] ). But that wouldn't take you one step closer to the Grail.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps