Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Decipher�s new book - "Starships" (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Decipher�s new book - "Starships"
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe your're overestimating Section 31. We know nothing. Sloan took the Bellerophon to Romulus and signed Ross' paychecks, but that doesn't mean they "own" that ship. (And the holodeck they used to fool Bashir the first time we met could have been anywhere, maybe they just rented one on a Starbase).
S31 has much influence, agreed, but maybe were just talking about one or two dozen people. And the rest doesn't even know for whom they are working (anyone seen Alias?)
For all we know, even the Romulan story could be true and Sloane is an insane ex-intelligence freelancer. Or do you have any proof for more? The Founder's disease could have been developed by Starfleet and he stole it or they just made everyone believe it was "Section 31". Aside from his two bodyguards, have we ever seen another S31 operative?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
As in "failed prototype". [Wink]

Failed? How was it a failure? Seemed to work fine to me. IIRC, it's only failing was a Romulan takeover of the ship. The two Holo-Boobs seemed to make short work of the Romulan's on-board, as well as a Warbird, after all. Just imagine what a full crew could do with Prometheus....
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus, the Prommie probably CAN dock if the middle section is lost - the top and bottom sections do directly meet along the forward edge of the lower hull, where docking interfaces can easily exist.

Wouldn't imagine such a configuation to be terribly fast or efficient, though...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the warp cores I seem to remember at one time that the main core on the Prometheus was actually three cores in one... designed similarly to the Intrepid core which has the reaction occur throughout the shaft. In the case of the Prometheus the reaction occurs throughout the shaft and there are extra matter and antimatter injectors for the separate sections [I figure that nifty magnetic constriction helps with directing more than the extra injectors all being inline].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Plus, the Prommie probably CAN dock if the middle section is lost - the top and bottom sections do directly meet along the forward edge of the lower hull, where docking interfaces can easily exist.
Mark

Uh...No.
I have built a model of that ship mastered from the original CGI art and there is just no way.
The top section is concave to join with the middle part but the bottom third dorsal side of the ship is completely flat to match the middle part's completely flat ventral side of the middle part.
Just check the schematics: the connections don't match up and there would be a five deck high open cavity inside the ship if they somehow smashed the ship in there.... [Roll Eyes]
http://www.lcarscom.net/74913.htm
Check the forward view to see what i mean.

I posted the "failed prototype" comment just to get a rabid response from those that think the prommie is the ultimate in starship design and ws not really serious. [Big Grin]
Didnt work though...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triton:
You mean the armor that was inspired by the batmobile armor shown in Tim Burton's Batman? [Roll Eyes] I wonder if the armor also comes in black?

Don't forget my favorite piece of technology, the transphasic torpedo. One torpedo kills a Borg cube.

So how in the heck did they put those djinnis (genies) back in their bottles? [Confused]

The Tech became inert aftera limited time and could not be reproduced.
I think Admiral Janeway would have been smart enough not to let that tech fall into the past's (or possibly the future Klingon's) hands.
It's the only way to stomach the worst series finally of all time.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Titan is a Prommie? Well, if there was any existing class of ship the Titan would be, I imagined it a Prommie. Oh well, i'll design it anyway.
Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

I posted the "failed prototype" comment just to get a rabid response from those that think the prommie is the ultimate in starship design and ws not really serious. [Big Grin]
Didnt work though...

Well, I like the Prommie's external appearance, and the shipwide holoemitters was an interesting idea, but that multi-vector assault thing was idiotic. I'd build the second one with only standard saucer separation capability, making a little more room for normal things in the hull like quarters and holodecks and such. Now, the saucer would still have the warp drive, so that'd be an improvement, but I wouldn't bother with splitting the ship up any further than that, and I'd expect it to only be used as often as other ships do saucer separation, instead of making it a standard tactic. And I'd really only keep the routine saucer sep (as opposed to the never seen, but occasionally mentioned emergency saucer sep of TOS) only because it's so established.

For a really workable "multi-vector assault mode", I'd have a set of subcraft that attach to the hull the same way the Captain's yacht does in the Galaxy class and the aeroshuttle for the Intrepid. Those would be large shuttle-size drone fightercraft. All the benefits of the silly multi-vector idea, without the structural drawbacks.
I'd probably have a mix of manned and unmanned embedded craft for the purpose, too, for flexibility.

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It just bugs me that "only six starfleet officers are qualified to run the ship". [Roll Eyes]
Just think: only one borg could take the entire crew!
With the ship's internal mass used largly for the multivector and redundant systems (warp and computer cores, life support, deflectors, sensors, navigation, etc.)there really can't be too much room fora decent sized crew.
She's lotsa weapons but not much else.

Not the explorer that Riker would want to command.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reviewing Timo's work, the word documents of Starships, i found it very amazing. I agree with one of the replies that it is "close to the holy grail" with the emphasis on close to.

Though there is a few problems with the data, which i don't like. Except for that fact, I find it one of the most strongest starship document out there.

With the report it self, i don't know about adding history into the starship document. Personally I don't care what Kirk or Picard did with the ship, unless it factored into a design change.

I would be willing to sacrifice the 2 seconds of time free that I have to myself everyday in making it stronger, but only in a scrutinizing position (since i only have 2 seconds of free time).

I wouldn't mind seeing this thing published. I would defintely go out and buy a fully illustrated book.

PS, what is going on with UP3

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is UP3?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Utopia Planitia 3

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy! I gathered that much, I was looking for something a little more 'in-depth', like an explaination of it, perhaps. [Big Grin] Thank You.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Si ego certiorum, tu mihi delendum eris.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Revanche
Member # 953

- posted      Profile for Revanche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, is there anywhere we can d/l Timo's document?
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps