Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Decipher�s new book - "Starships" (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Decipher�s new book - "Starships"
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also, there's less "fleshing out" material there for secondary ship types or ship families, although I tried to play with the various Andromedas and Zodiacs and whatnot, making some of them "sister classes" of each other, like was done with Saladin/Hermes etc.

Is there a schematic for the Zodiac or just general info?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apart from ASDB conjecture, there's no real info on ships like the Zodiac.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, there isn't even a confirmation that the Zodiac should exist in the "real" timeline of Trek. Certainly it appears to be a marginal design, rarely seen in the front lines - there are few unnamed on-screen designs that could plausibly match the registry range of the one known Zodiac. OTOH, that Zodiac got a pretty distinguished name, the Yorktown...

Most reference works that speculate on these unseens fail to consider the logical or aesthetic aspects of a ship's supposed registry, stated mission, or obscure things like her name. The ASDB is a happy exception, and soars miles above the various RPG books. And for the record, I far prefer the ASDB Zodiac to my own concept of a single-nacelled "Akira little sister" or "futuristic Larson"...

Timo Saloniemi

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
And for the record, I far prefer the ASDB Zodiac to my own concept of a single-nacelled "Akira little sister" or "futuristic Larson"...

Which one? There's like six different versions listed at ASDB.
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Zodiac Class exists in the 'real' timeline. Before the mention of a Yorktown in All Good Things, in the episode Frame of a Mind, there is a reference to a Yorktown. This 'real' timeline Yorktown is confirmed in Whispers.
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Encyclopedia-registry confirms the ships existence in the real timeline. Assuming of course that Q's 2380's altered timeline was started after the present (seventh season) timeline, not earlier (if it was indeed an 'alternate' timeline, which seems obvious because of the E-D's appearance). If the Pasteur is "canon" (6xxxx registry), Yorktown should be canon, too.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the Pasteur's registry is 58928.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Actually, the Pasteur's registry is 58928.

I was close. [Wink]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: Bloody hell!!!!! Just had a look at your file; fantastic! I haven't seen much of the old fan stuff like FASA on account of having been very young when it was bought out and rather broke now so thanks!!

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
And for the record, I far prefer the ASDB Zodiac to my own concept of a single-nacelled "Akira little sister" or "futuristic Larson"...

Which one? There's like six different versions listed at ASDB.
Here's great design that look like the 6th Zodiac from ASDB.
http://starshipmodeler.org/gallery6/cf_stuart.htm

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Timo for the Word documents. [Big Grin]
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I HAVE RECEIVED THE BOOK !!
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from a brief overview, some interesting facts:

Ambassador-class comissioned in 2322, crew of 900

The Akira registry list includes all the American Indian names given by Last Unicorn's RPG

Runabout Gander listed as NCC-72311

Excelsiors listed with crew of 770 (!?) but 24th century upgrades decrease to 650

1701-refit listed with crew of 500 (old Mr Scotts guide info tidbit)

USS Trinculo listed as Operation: Return vessel

750 crew on Nebula

USS Nova NX 72330 (?) .. theres also a Nova-class USS Solstice.. har har

USS Titan, Prometheus-class, commanded by WT Riker.. *screams*

crew of 855 on Sovereigns seems sensible, the NCC-9xxxx registries do not.. i prefer Activisions reg for the Sovvie prototype

Data's scoutship was called the Talon, but had no registry.. maybe they missed the movie?

between large and small birds-of-prey, the crew difference is exactly as i surmised, 12 for the scout and 52 for the cruiser (thank god its not 1,000+ like the DS9 TM suggested).. however the 250m / 350m sizes both seem kinda ridiculous.. my own personal interpretation has been 120m for the scout and 160m for the cruiser.. i dont like there being orders of magnitude difference between scaled ships

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was stated in the STIII SE, clearly, that the 'scout' bird-of-prey was like 110-120m.

As for the rest of those neat little factoids, it is very unfortuante that there isn't a shred of reality to those figures...

...Titan=Prometheus...damn them to hell for messing with our minds!! [Mad]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
I think it was stated in the STIII SE, clearly, that the 'scout' bird-of-prey was like 110-120m.

Huh? What dialogue is this attributed to? I don't have the SE DVD, but this is the first mention I've heard to actual dialogue giving the length of the BoP for ST:III.
quote:
...Titan=Prometheus...damn them to hell for messing with our minds!! [Mad]
What's the deal? Nobody likes the Prometheus class or what? I think he'd be great in that class of ship.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps