Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Decipher�s new book - "Starships" (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Decipher�s new book - "Starships"
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
I think it was stated in the STIII SE, clearly, that the 'scout' bird-of-prey was like 110-120m.

Huh? What dialogue is this attributed to? I don't have the SE DVD, but this is the first mention I've heard to actual dialogue giving the length of the BoP for ST:III.

Oy! Pick, pick! You think I am talking out of my ass?! j/k [Wink] So, believe it or not, it was indicated in the Okuda (I believe) text commentary during the movie play (I forget at which point exactly) that the Mmm-Bop was like 110m (or 120m). Mention was also made on the lengths of the Spacedock, the Constitution II, and possibly the Excelsior. It was all mentioned in previous thread, but I can't find it at the moment. [Big Grin]

quote:
quote:
...Titan=Prometheus...damn them to hell for messing with our minds!! [Mad]
What's the deal? Nobody likes the Prometheus class or what? I think he'd be great in that class of ship.
I think that the Prometheus would be a hideous candidate for the Titan. Sure the Prommy is cool in an ass-kickin' rockem' sockem' robot kind of way, but otherwise its just not something I could see Riker commanding. I always kind of thought he would be at home if he had a Galaxy of his own, as he seemed to hold out on a plethora of other class vessels. My big wish, despite the overbearing sense of reality that lies within, is that we could see him in the big chair of an Ambassador one last time. A noble ship for a excellent commander, turned captain.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure don't like the Prometheus class!
It a terrible design overall and seems to be a strictly combat oriented starship.
Riker has always been an explorer at heart so he should have an explorer-oriented starship.
A Galaxy is what I imagine the Titan to be.
Riker held out for years to get a Galaxy and when one became available, he took it. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't start him out on a Galaxy. Sure, he had Enterprise for a small bit, but that was more a matter of convenience. I'd vernture to guess that Titan is a Nebula. Same idea, a little less prestigious. The gold card rather than the platinum card, as it were.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
I think it was stated in the STIII SE, clearly, that the 'scout' bird-of-prey was like 110-120m.

Huh? What dialogue is this attributed to? I don't have the SE DVD, but this is the first mention I've heard to actual dialogue giving the length of the BoP for ST:III.

Oy! Pick, pick! You think I am talking out of my ass?! j/k [Wink] So, believe it or not, it was indicated in the Okuda (I believe) text commentary during the movie play (I forget at which point exactly) that the Mmm-Bop was like 110m (or 120m). Mention was also made on the lengths of the Spacedock, the Constitution II, and possibly the Excelsior. It was all mentioned in previous thread, but I can't find it at the moment. [Big Grin]

Glad you took my comments at face value. I really wasn't picking, just wanted to know where that's from. Glad to get a source, tho, 'cause it gives me that much more of a reason to lobby for the ST:III SE DVD next time someone owes me a gift. [Big Grin]

quote:
quote:
...Titan=Prometheus...damn them to hell for messing with our minds!! [Mad]
What's the deal? Nobody likes the Prometheus class or what? I think he'd be great in that class of ship.
quote:
I think that the Prometheus would be a hideous candidate for the Titan. Sure the Prommy is cool in an ass-kickin' rockem' sockem' robot kind of way, but otherwise its just not something I could see Riker commanding. I always kind of thought he would be at home if he had a Galaxy of his own, as he seemed to hold out on a plethora of other class vessels. My big wish, despite the overbearing sense of reality that lies within, is that we could see him in the big chair of an Ambassador one last time. A noble ship for a excellent commander, turned captain.

Yeah, true. I always believed he was holding out for Enterprise, tho. Wasn't that also indicated in dialogue in one episode...? One of hte perils of watching all the episodes, back-to-back as I've been doing of late is that they sort of run together sometimes.... [Eek!]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riker was holding out for the Enterprise.
The Galaxy class version. [Wink]

If Starfleet would make Janeway and admiral, Riker can at least get a Galaxy class!

This is Will Riker: the man credited for stopping the Borg while in command of the Enterprise.
He's got to be a legend in the making and very likely an extremely well known starfleet officer.

....although I do prefer the Nebula calss to the Galaxy overall: they should be far more capable starships, what with that giant pod chock full of sensors, weapons and....er....stuff. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thinking that the U.S.S. Titan would be some large explorer starship class because Deanna would be the ship's counselor on Riker's new command.

Why can't this ship be a new Sovereign-class explorer? Riker said it wasn't the Enterprise, he didn't say it wasn't a Sovereign-class. I thought that his comment was related to leaving Picard and his friends behind, not about the inadequacies or incapabilities of his new command.

If there is a Star Trek XI with Jonathan Frakes as Captain Riker, I hope that they make the Titan a new explorer class that is between the Intrepid and Sovereignin size. I think it would be sad to give him an older explorer design.

I'm not inclined to think that it would be a Galaxy-class starship because Geordi was captain of the Galaxy-class U.S.S. Challenger in thatVoyager episode "Timeless".

So if the Titan needs to be an existing explorer design that we have seen, I would be inclined to think that it was a Nebula class.

As for the idea of a Prometheus-class U.S.S. Titan, I think its not only a bad idea, it is absurd one.

Rick Sternbach mentioned that the Prometheus was a one off ship design and so he didn't get bent out of shape when there was the registry mistake at the FX department. Which I interpreted as meaning that there is only one of this type in the whole of Starfleet.

Further, I personally think that the idea of a "multi-vector attack mode" starship is a recipe for disaster. In order for the three pieces of the ship to be combat capable and survive an engagement, each piece would need to have its own power plant, navigation/control system, targeting system, life support, and other redundant systems. Does each piece have its own warp core? Or does it use some power cell or battery? If it uses a battery, how many minutes or hours can it engage in combat?

After you add all that machinery into each piece, where do you have room for weapon systems, such as torpedo storage? It seems to me that you could only have three small and mediocre starships attached together to make one vehicle the size of the Prometheus.

Also, how well are the three pieces latched together during normal non-combat operations. Could the docking clamps shear away due to stress of the space frames or the ship fly apart at warp speeds?

Although I see some fans rave endlessly about this ship, I think that Rick Sternbach designed a rather silly and very ugly looking starship.

I think that Starfleet would be much better off building three separate starships.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Add to those flaws that if the center piece of the ship is destroyed during the Multi-Vector attack, the ship cannot re-combine in any way.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Which I interpreted as meaning that there is only one of this type in the whole of Starfleet.
That's generally what the word prototype means.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

As in "failed prototype". [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Triton
Member # 1043

I meant that in the sense that Starfleet would not order more starships of this class.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Agreed.

The Prometheus herself will likely remain in service as a testbed for it's advanced technologies and possibly as a fast response vechile for quite some time though.

I could see new ship classes using that style of nacelles or impulse plants....mabye five or six years after Voyager's return.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Voyagers return, I just remembered that damn armadillo armor shit it is now outfitted with...that was the last nail in Voyagers coffin, and IMHO, was the most un-Star Trek thing/technology/scene that Star Trek has ever put on the screen.

Now what? SF has a new uber-armor that they install on every ship in the fleet? How can they pass up on such a lucrative technology?

Whatever it is, someones fanboy dream came true... [Roll Eyes] ...and each of us died inside a little more.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Triton
Member # 1043

You mean the armor that was inspired by the batmobile armor shown in Tim Burton's Batman? [Roll Eyes] I wonder if the armor also comes in black?

Don't forget my favorite piece of technology, the transphasic torpedo. One torpedo kills a Borg cube.

Now with that kinda of powerful technology onboard Voyager, you would think that Starfleet would replicate it and deploy it fleet wide. To heck with the Temporal Prime Directive and the Department of Temporal Investigation.

One transphasic torpedo could have finished off the Scimitar. Who needs to meet up with Battle Group Omega? Bye Shinzon!!! [Roll Eyes]

So how in the heck did they put those djinnis (genies) back in their bottles? [Confused]

Picard refuses to use them on moral grounds?

Probably Section 31 is stockpiling these weapons and technologies somewhere in the Federation. Along with phase cloaking devices, subspace weapons, and biogenic weapons, including Genesis torpedoes.

Don't get smart with us Breen, we'll clean your clocks.

Revanche
Member # 953

- posted      Profile for Revanche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Take a look at the bottom section of the main page of Flare...

I could cry!

Where exactly can I find this link? Do I need special access (i.e. UP3 Development)? Did I miss out?

Why, or why, can I not check these forums sooner?!
:damn life:

TheYoshinator
Member # 1066

- posted      Profile for TheYoshinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have little love left for Voyager the series. But the ship is another matter. But yes, I do hate that Batmobile armor too.

Keep in mind the future based technology is not "replicated" and distributed into Starfleet for the same reasons that whole starships are not "replicated". Its because they can't replicate everything.

Check your official Starfleet Starship Assembly Manuals. It say's *some assembly required* (tongue firmly in cheek)

Anywho... my guess is that Voyager itself is now classified or Voyager has been stripped of said technology and the technology itself has been classified. It may have even been destroyed in accordance to the Temporal Prime Directive.

And as for Section 31 getting it. Well I think the idea of a Section 31 in the ultimate information age (our future)....is dumb. You can't advance humanity to Roddenberry's vision with a so well hooked in organization such as that existing without no one noticing. PFFFT! A terrorist cell I could buy. But not an org with major classed starships working so atonomously. IIRC, They had an Intrepid class. What? No one noticed one was missing?

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps