Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Avenger/Miranda class Intrepid? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Avenger/Miranda class Intrepid?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She said she had 300 hundred years of catch up learning to do, plus it doesn't seam likely that Kirk would have trouble finding her on Earth.
I think a SPACE science vessel is clearly implied.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see a whaleologist on an Oberth. There ARE pelagic planets out there, after all.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but she knows as much about alien whalelike creatures as I do.

I never even considered that she was talking about anything other than a spaceship, but it never made sense to me.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be where the learning part comes in.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For pete's sake, why? "Nobody in your century knows anything about whales."

"Well, let's get you at least a thousand lightyears from these here whales, learning about an alien form of life that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike whales." The whole point of having her around is to work with the whales they brought back.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I spotted that too. These two bits of dialogue do seam to contradict each other.

Maybe she is required to do a tour in space before she's allowed to be in Science Academy or whatever it's called (note she had the same badge as Carol & David Marcus.)

She would certianly need to be re-educated, if only to allow her to use 23rd Century technology.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Here's the two bits of dialogue.
The first one is just after they decloaked infront of the whaling ship and beamed up George and Gracie.

KIRK
He means our chances of getting home
are not very good. You might have
lived a longer life if you'd stayed
where you belong.

GILLIAN
I belong here.
at his look)
Suppose by some miracle you do get
them through.
(beat)
Who in the 23rd Century knows
anything about Humpback whales?

KIRK
(a long moment)
... You have a point...

And the second one is just after the hearing.

GILLIAN
My own exonerated Kirk! I'm so..
juiced, I can't tell you!
(she kisses him)
Bye, Kirk... Thanks.

She starts away.

KIRK
Hey! -- Where you going?!

GILLIAN
You're going to your ship, I'm going
to mine. Science Vessel. I've got
300 years of catch-up learning to
do.

KIRK
You mean this is -- goodbye?

GILLIAN
(perplexed)
Why does it have to be goodbye?

KIRK
Well, I... As they say in your
century -- I don't even have your
phone number. How will I find you?

GILLIAN
Don't worry. I'll find you.
(then)
See you around the galaxy...

I think it's that last line that really throws it for me. How can she see him round the Galaxy if she's staying on Earth?
However I do see your point, it can be taken either way.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Kirk isn't, though. Anyway, I don't know. But...
quote:
My own exonerated Kirk! I'm so..
juiced, I can't tell you!

Is that actually in the movie? "My own exonerated Kirk!"? Huh? Juiced? Crazy.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that line was in the script, it was changed. And with good reason.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
272 INT. SPACEDOCK - ILM

From the Dock in the distance, amid the
great SHIPS, a tiny SHUTTLECRAFT comes
toward us slowly.

273 INT. SHUTTLECRAFT - KIRK AND CREW - ILM BLUE SCREEN

A great window in the front of the craft
gives everyone a view of the ships and
where they are headed. They do not seem to
know.

274 POV - THROUGH THE WINDDOW (AND INTERCUT WITH SHUTTLE)

Various vessels, odd shaped,
undistinguished. A Reliant class, a
Saratoga. As they watch:

This proves that the shooting script at least intended a Miranda Class ship named Saratoga was present...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With that line, you could just as easily argue that there was a Saratoga class ship in Spacedock.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. Perhaps in this script, it is intended for USS Saratoga to be a new design and not a "Reliant class vessel"? The writers (or "technical patchup" writers doing some fine-tuning) might have counted on TPTB spending big bucks on a new model for the relatively central Saratoga, and throwing in both that new model and the older model from STII for the final scene.

As for Taylor's "science vessel", perhaps it was to be used for monitoring the whales in an offworld preserve where the whales would be transferred after the nosy probe had departed for sure? Perhaps whatever killed the whales (not whaling, but something like pollution or lack of plankton) was still a problem in the Earth oceans, and George and Gracie would perish if forced to stay on Earth...

Timo Saloniemi

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if Earth in the 23rd century was the paradise that Gene Roddenberry intended, I think that the whales would have done very well on their own in the Pacific and wouldn't need Dr. Taylor anymore to nursemaid them. The Federation probably could replicate krill by the ton if the live variety was unavailable in the ocean. Also there might have been several more years of scientific knowledge accumulated about the Humpback whale before they, and the others, died out that Dr. Taylor did not know. Perhaps Dr. Taylor was only unique in the fact that she was the only living person to have personal experience with living whales. But she may not have possessd unique knowledge.

Besides if the whales needed anything they could always tell a Vulcan, or another telepath, through a mind meld.

Given the choice of being the whale minder again or serving on a science ship, who could blame Gillian for choosing the science ship?

Regarding the Miranda-class starship shown in the space dock at the end of ST IV, it seems reasonable that Saratoga would go there for repairs or testing before returning to active service.

Certainly if Gene Roddenberry's assertion is true that the 1701-A was the repainted Yorktown. Don't know if she went back to space dock under her own power, or if she was towed back.

We just need to figure out what happened to Capt. Vijay and his crew because I don't think that the ship was destroyed after encountering the whale probe, just disabled. If all hands did die on the Yorktown, it would explain how a new starship was available so quickly and why Starfleet renamed it.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... Makes me wonder if the crew of Saratoga survived. It might have been several days since the Probe passed them and if they were too far from a star system for a "make-shift solar sail" to work for them, they might well have all died. That might well explain why it was the same Saratoga we saw in the beginning of the movie, I guess.

...and then the ghosts of the dead crew remained on board and haunted the ship for several years. The crews of the ship always felt as if they were being watched, things would disappear, doors would lock tight or open up at bizarre times and people just wouldn't feel all that at ease on board her. After more than a decade, StarFleet decided to scrap Saratoga and build a new one, w/a new registry number - thus we have Sisko's Saratoga in DS9's Premiere episode "Emissary". [Big Grin]

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's Voyager, but with respect to the Yorktown, have y'all forgotten that during "Flashback," Tuvok receives a letter from his parents aboard the Yorktown? Which means either the Enterprise-A isn't the repainted Yorktown or it is and Vijay and crew got a new Excelsior-class Yorktown.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps