Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Avenger/Miranda class Intrepid? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Avenger/Miranda class Intrepid?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Yeah, who's laughing now, Captain 'I'm so important I can get your ship renamed to my ship' Kirk?"

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Capt. Vijay"? I thought it was like "Capt. Joel Randolph" or something like that...for the Yorktown, to what end am I in error?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never known the name of the captain character. It may very well be what you say. The captain of the "Yorktown" was portrayed by tennis pro Vijay Amitraj who also appeared in the 1983 James Bond film "Octopussy." That is what the "my backhand has definitely improved" joke was about in the movie and the tennis racket/tennis match joke during the minicab chase. I believe that he was a world-class tennis player and played at Wimbledon, but I don't know what awards he received at these tournaments. That's why I call him Captain Vijay to identify him as east Indian, his character in "Octopussy" was named Vijay. He came to a very bad end by the yo-yo saw blades in the Bond film. So I was hoping that other readers would recognize who I was talking about. In ST IV he had a line talking about the "Yorktown" losing all power and that the chief engineer was working on a solar sail to "sustain us." Its a pretty short scene and easy to miss if you blink.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both the Yorktown and the Saratoga appear lost relatively early in the crisis, so it is a bit doubtful if towing them all the way to Earth's Spacedock would be practical for repairs. If the Saratoga patrolled the outer borders, surely there would be other Starfleet facilities closer by?

We don't even know if Spacedock has facilities for repairing anything, really. It could just be one big passenger terminal and duty-free shopping area for all we know.

In any case, it is a bit silly that Spacedock's interior would be littered with randomly oriented free-floating starships that require shuttlecraft or transporters to access. Granted the dock design is silly and confining - but shouldn't it still be possible to fly all the ships we saw closer to the pier structures, anchor them there and latch on some direct-access corridors?

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they can build starships at Spacedock, they should be able to repair ships as well.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunno about that one. We have not yet actually seen any ships being built at Spacedock...just, at most, garaged there.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
I know it's Voyager, but with respect to the Yorktown, have y'all forgotten that during "Flashback," Tuvok receives a letter from his parents aboard the Yorktown? Which means either the Enterprise-A isn't the repainted Yorktown or it is and Vijay and crew got a new Excelsior-class Yorktown.

I seem to have missed the mention of that in "Flashback". Or at least it didn't register at the time. I'm kinda doubting it was an Excelsior-class Yorktown, but that's because I just don't belive that the E-A was a renamed ship.

That, at least, was one of the better episodes of VOY, too. And hey, at least VOY was good for something! [Wink]

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BUH?!? "Flashback" stank to high heaven. The acting was bad, the writing was dreadful, and there were a couple of things I'd blame on Tuvok's faulty memory, but what does that say about Vulcans...? Getting Rand's rank wrong is a small and forgivable thing. But commissioned officers bunking up in "crew quarters"? Ensign Tuvok being paired with the ship's Science Officer? And most egregious, Tuvok's memory of Valtane dying, when we see him quite a live and well on the Excelsior's bridge at the end of "The Undiscovered Country" -- the battle at Khitomer taking place well after the battle at the nebula we saw... Oy.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triton:
I have never known the name of the captain character. That's why I call him Captain Vijay to identify him as east Indian, his character in "Octopussy" was named Vijay.

The script identified the character that was played by Vijay Armitraj as Captain Joel Randolph of the USS Yorktown.. the other cameo there was Go-Go Jane Wiedlin playing LCDR Trillya, comm officer of the USS Shepard, which was dead in space, and the power failure release a plague from the medical stasis field. She was relaying messages from Captain Clampett.
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
BUH?!? "Flashback" stank to high heaven. The acting was bad, the writing was dreadful, and there were a couple of things I'd blame on Tuvok's faulty memory, but what does that say about Vulcans...? Getting Rand's rank wrong is a small and forgivable thing. But commissioned officers bunking up in "crew quarters"? Ensign Tuvok being paired with the ship's Science Officer? And most egregious, Tuvok's memory of Valtane dying, when we see him quite a live and well on the Excelsior's bridge at the end of "The Undiscovered Country" -- the battle at Khitomer taking place well after the battle at the nebula we saw... Oy.

Er... Let's just say that Tuvok's memory isn't the only faulting one around... [Embarrassed]

Don't forget that the "V" man (forget his name, Russian sounding, tho) is alive at the ST:VI, while he's supposed to have died prior to the events of ST:VI.... [Roll Eyes]

Still, I remember liking it other than that. It was the only real goof I noticed when I watched it... once....
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike20X6:
[QUOTE]The script identified the character that was played by Vijay Armitraj as Captain Joel Randolph of the USS Yorktown.. the other cameo there was Go-Go Jane Wiedlin playing LCDR Trillya, comm officer of the USS Shepard, which was dead in space, and the power failure release a plague from the medical stasis field. She was relaying messages from Captain Clampett.

Huh...?

Yer havin' us on, ain'cha...? [Wink]

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by CaptainMike20X6:

quote:
...the other cameo there was Go-Go Jane Wiedlin playing LCDR Trillya, comm officer of the USS Shepard, which was dead in space, and the power failure release a plague from the medical stasis field. She was relaying messages from Captain Clampett.
Jane Wiedlin appears on the wall screen in the Starfleet Command center scene when they are switching to planetary power reserves. She has a pretty wild hairdo and just seems to be a head with a moving mouth in the background and nothing she says is intelligible over the sound effects and conversations inside the control room. The information about what she is saying and who she is must come entirely from the shooting script, because I sure cannot make out what the heck she is saying.

I think that Gene Roddenberry was dead wrong when he asserted that the NCC-1701-A was a new ship renamed from "Yorktown" and this became part of the history of the "USS Enterprise" in the TNG Technical Manual. I was just being facetious when I brought up the bit about cleaning out the dead bodies and giving the ship a new name and a new coat of paint.

Shane Johnson in his book "Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise" states that the NCC-1701-A is a newly completed ship originally named "USS Ti Ho". This makes much more sense to me than the idea of renaming a ship already in active service for Kirk and company. Especially because of the debugging that Mr. Scott and the crew must perform at the beginning of ST V.

Speaking of Spacedock, I always thought of it more than just a starship garage. Despite what they say about it in "Starship Spotter", I believe that its armed with phaser banks and torpedo launchers and its a facility where they can construct and refit starships as well as store them. Plus I think that it was a way to construct "Excelsior" in secret. Certainly the Klingon and the Romulans, and other threat powers, monitored Earch orbit for new intelligence about starship design and Starfleet strength. Oh look, they are building a new larger starship design with new nacelles. New propulsion system?

My belief that Spacedock is also a starship construction and repair facility comes from the FASA RPG supplement: "Starship Construction Manual". On the back cover a "Chandley" class frigate, a starship class created by FASA, is shown under construction.

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have a pic of the yorktown bridge vs the E'a's Bridge? Maybe that will settle all this debate

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily since bridge modules can be swapped out.

In regards to the Yorktown & Shepard transmissions, time for another script extract.

STAR TREK IV : THE VOYAGE HOME APPENDIX A.

N.D. STARSHIP DIALOGUE

(as it appears in Scene 42)

VERSION 1
Starfleet command, this is Captain
Joel Randolph of the starship
Yorktown reporting. Emergency
channel Zero-one-three-zero, code
red. It has been three hours since
our contact with the alien probe and
all attempts at regaining power have
failed. All non-essential crew have
been given hiber-sedatives to slow
down consumption of life support
reserves. Our chief engineer is
attempting to deploy a makeshift
solar sail with which to focus and
absorb radiation from a nearby sun
we are orbiting. We have high hopes
that this will, if successful,
generate power to keep us alive
indefinitely. If you would patch us
through to Engineering Control we
could link up with the technicians
there and hopefully lick this
problem. We will keep you posted on
our condition. Starfleet, and inform
you of any further developments.
Captain Randolph out.

VERSION 2
Starfleet Command, this is
communications officer Trillya of
the U.S.S. Shepard reporting on
emergency status code zero one nine
five. Our condition remains the
same, the probe has neutralized all
power supplies and we are
functioning on reserves only. All
attempts to reinstate main power
have failed. Captain Clampett has
quarantined all but minimal support
crew due to failure of Bio-
Sterilization capsules containing
Vegan D virus, which has already
killed fifteen crew members. All
aboard are believed to be infected.
Atmospheric regeneration and
reclamation systems are not
functional, and all medical supplies
are spoiling due to refrigeration
shut down. At present condition
life support systems will be
exhausted within eight hours.
Starfleet, please advise...?

For the record I checked out the DVD and while it's certainly not as audible as the Yorktown message, the Shepard message can be heard in the background and what little I could make out seams to be consistent with what is in the script.

As for the Yorktown itself, my interpretation of events goes something like this:-

The Yorktown in ST:IV was an old refitted Connie like the E-nil and was due for decommissioning, so when Starfleet decided to give Kirk another ship they chose to give him the old Yorktown a final refit (the early stages of which we saw in ST:V) rename it as the E-A and give it a five or six year stay of execution.
This didn't bother Captain Randolph or his crew much since they were due to be transferred to the new Excelsior-Class Yorktown anyway.

For me this neatly explains why how Starfleet came up with a new ship so quickly, why it was decommissioned and mothballed only a few years later and how there could be another Yorktown flying around in 2293.

Of course the E-A doesn't have to have been the Yorktown, it could just as easily been another old Connie.
However since the Great Bird thought it was a good idea, I don't see any reason for it not to be.

Of course everyone is free to come up with their own versions since I doubt that there is any solid "evidence" one way or the other.
I would however like to point out in regards to the MSGTTE manual's entry regarding the E-A; that book was written before ST:VI in which the E-A was decommissioned and was apparently under the assumption that the E-A was brand new (probably due to the Transwarp label) so it really can't be counted as a reliable source in this regard.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Vijay Amritraj playing at Wimbledon this year, in a seniors doubles match with his brother.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/wimbledon2003/story/0,13391,988672,00.html (Court Three)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh goody, I see that topic drifted into the "Enterprise-A origins?" area, which gives me good excuse to present my theory [Big Grin]

OK, so, let's start with one important question: is this decomissioning stuff final?
I've read "Ships Named Enterprise" and I've seen some instances of ships being decomissioned and then recomissioned couple of years later.

So, I think that basically explains both Uhura and Kirk statements.
Enterprise was simply decomissioned and then recomissioned under different name. (If SF Command can change Yorktown's name to Enterprise, then there's no reason to assume that they can't do it again [Big Grin] )

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps