Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SEVEN??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: SEVEN???
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm watching the rerun of "Interface" on TNN right now. In one of the early scenes on the Bridge, they're talking about rescuing the crew of the Raman, which may still be alive inside the ship -- all seven of them.

Wait, all SEVEN of them? Even on an old Oberth, that's still a pitiful crew complement. But it's what they said! [Eek!]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Automation is a wonderful thing.

One wonders, though...for smaller vessels that have no need for "high stress situations" like line ships, might they perhaps have a lot of things done by robots? I don't mean androids, I mean robots, like we have them on assembly lines & such. Maybe the computer intelligence is programmed to control them & watch over the funtions. Instead of beeping a noise or flashing a light, the indicator directive goes to a duty bot that handles & "oversees" that function or several of them.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That number's total crap: another case of the script refrencing a small ship and the VFX department either being limited in budget or not paying attention or some combonation of both.

The only sanity saving measure is to either disregard the line or assume he meant "the seven survivors of the Raman".

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another (probably explainable) problem: Geordi's just said that there were "over 300 people" on the Hera. Now, if they were using the same issues of automation as on the Ramon, then it's acceptable. But even so, a Nebula-class starship with so few crew members would be a contradiction of everything we know (though it isn't much) about those ships. Might the Hera not actually be a Nebula-class after all? It only got that designation from the Encyclopedia, anyway...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A crew of 300, mostly Vulcans.

As we all know, Vulcans are the epitome of Nietzsche's �bermenschen in Trek, therefore 300 of them are like 800 of us poor piddly pisspoor Earthers.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Equinox was a stupid idea - it would have been nice to see the Hera - if it indeed had been transported away by the Caretaker - which it could have... infact seeing as this was a season 7 episode - do you think they were hinting at such a fact - as they peppered season 7 with a lot of Voyager tie-ins.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, on the same note, the Yosemite only had like a crew of 6 or something...so maybe the old mules were going heavily automated, like suggested, in their final days of service (suggesting they were totally replaced by Nova's).

On a footnote, I would have been interested in seeing a Voyager episode with the Hera in place of the Equinox or even another fresh idea altogether...oh well.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot imagine the thinking that assumes that a story would somehow by improved by a pointless connection to another story.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man....they're showing that crappy episode with the Raman right now.

Man does it suck.
Does Geordi really think that completely emotionless vision of his mamma is really her?
The Enterprise crew has encountered a LOT of weird shit, but this is too damn dumb.

Another horrid "non-coporeal lifeform" episode that should have been scrapped.
Towards the last couple of seasons all the bridge crew got at least one really lame episode centering on them.

Except Riker: he got dick.

Jesus fuck: They're playing the "deanna's-dead- long-lost-sister" horseshit now.
Time to watch CNN ot possibly fork out my eyes or something less painful than this episode. [Roll Eyes]

[ July 25, 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Star Trek: Companion, Larry Nemecek writes for the episode "Interface" that the USS Raman was not intended as an Oberth. There were plans for building a new ship which were cancelled.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Thanks for confirmation.
That was my assumption as well.
We've seen it a couple of times when the Oberth model was used.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I cannot imagine the thinking that assumes that a story would somehow by improved by a pointless connection to another story.

mr know all, be all strikes again....

as if any of it really matters. all i meant is that that would have make for a better 'lets tie in the alpha quadrant'-type episode than a lot of the other crap they tried.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

While I agree in part with Sol System's thinking that needless tie-ins suck, I do wish they had shown Geordi recovering from the disapearance (and presumed death) of his mother in later episodes....or any follow-up on a lot of the emotionally trying shit the TNG crew went through.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, huh?

Second of all, how does replacing "Captain Savage" or whatever his name was (Come to think of it, ______ Savage was the name of the actor, wasn't it?) with "Geordi's mom" do anything at all to improve the quality of anything? "Well, I've now got a vendetta...against Geordi's mom!" "You don't know what it's like. We'd be dead without...Geordi's mom!" Pointless. Swapping out one set of new characters for another doesn't change anything. All you'd get would be a shorter episode title.

Lastly, why is it that I'm not allowed to have an opinion on this? I wasn't even sassing!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps