Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SEVEN??? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: SEVEN???
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 - USS Yosemite, an Oberth-class ship from TNG "Realm of Fear", had a crew of five.

2 - Madge Sinclair, who played Geordi's mom, died some time before "Equinox". I guess they could have recast her role, or given it to the inexperienced first/second officer, who'd help justify some of Ransom's command ineptitudes...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe it or not, aside from some of the incredulities, I actually enjoyed "Equinox" -- at least, the overall story, if not some of the details.

It's possible that the plot line could've involved the Hera instead... as has been suggested, the "inexperienced" first officer could've been in command instead. But with a ship of mostly Vulcans, how much fun would that be? [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, enjoyed the "Equinox" two-parter. However, MiniutiaeMan echoes my thoughts about the crew of mostly Vulcan's. If you went w/that premise and the situation we see in the episode, it'd be rather boring, IMO.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the time I remember thinking that maybe what should happen is that Voyager gets destroyed, and what's left of both crews continues on in the Equinox. . . and by "what's left" I meant that some of the original cast would buy it.

Perish the thought, of course. Star Trek is far too rigidly formulaic for that. Oh, sure, there are practical considerations - could you have a show named Voyager without the ship named Voyager? Also, departing cast members' contracts for the seven year run (not that that stopped them dumping Jennifer Lien) - but I think it would have given the edge they never even bothered to get from the Maquis-Starfleet mix in the first place.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think, though, that if Voyager had been the kind of show to take that sort of risk, it wouldn't have needed to. Which is to say, those sorts of stories would have already been told, or in the process of being told.

It would have been interesting to see a show in which it was the Maquis ship that survived, with the Starfleet ship getting sacrificed to save the day. Not that I think any of Voyager's problems were a result of its premise.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if they used the Hera instead of the Equinox then the "Good Captain/Bad Captain" role would be reversed. With the Vulcans having a 200 to 300 year life span I don't think they'd be in any particular hurry to shortcut home. A seventy year trip must seam like just an extended cruise to them.

That might have been a slightly more interesting dynamic, with Janeway acting irresponsibly (shock horror) in the Vulcan XO's eyes.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did ANYONE read my post about the Hera idea instead of the Equinox. I'm talking about ditching the whole Equinox episode idea - and using a ship like the Hera opens up a whole new avenue of story possibilities. I even mentioned how to deal/make the Vulcans interesting.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw, poor baby. Issa widdle Andy feeling ignored? Welcome to my world - no-one's paid attention to a thing I've said here in three years. I could say "The Defiant is a Valiant-class starship" and no-one would notice. 8)

But, you see, CAN they make Vulcans interesting? We now have Enterprise, from the same creative team, which features major Vulcan characters and storylines, and - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. . . My hair?! Oh, sorry, I nodded off for a moment. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but...what's the difference? The Ferengi show up and you don't like it? But if the Hera had you would have? This is the part I'm confused about.

Perhaps because it was the Ferengi? [Wink]

I would point out that the connection to a TNG ep DID likely make the episode better than I would have been. Otherwise you'd have had Ferengi sitting in the middle of nowhere next to a very nice pseudo-stable wormhole that the crew knew about but that nobody on our side of the camera had ever heard of. It may have sucked, but at least it was an attempt at some sort of continuity, which makes it that much better than Voyager's later attempts at retroactively inserting things into earlier seasons. And as for the probability of finding the Hera or the Equinox, well, any ships that got pulled into the DQ by the Caretaker would likely take at least reasonably similar courses to get home, no? For that at least they might have a reasonable excuse.

I'm curious: given the apparent existence of at least a couple fan-made sci-fi series (EFC:Restoration and Star Trek Renaissance) which seem to be of decent quality, has anyone considered rewriting Voyager? The premise WAS cool, after all, and the writers did have some neat ideas, even if they hadn't a clue how to handle them properly.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps