Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SEVEN??? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: SEVEN???
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't have an opinion until you officially change your name to "Mr. Know It All" (your byline can be "strikes again!"). [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you're messing with forces you don't understand. Simon's reality checks, while sometimes acerbic, are usually spot on. YUO WILL NOT GET TEH POWARUP IF YOU TRY TO FIHGT THE MINIBOSS !!
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
First of all, huh?

Second of all, how does replacing "Captain Savage" or whatever his name was (Come to think of it, ______ Savage was the name of the actor, wasn't it?) with "Geordi's mom" do anything at all to improve the quality of anything? "Well, I've now got a vendetta...against Geordi's mom!" "You don't know what it's like. We'd be dead without...Geordi's mom!" Pointless. Swapping out one set of new characters for another doesn't change anything. All you'd get would be a shorter episode title.

Lastly, why is it that I'm not allowed to have an opinion on this? I wasn't even sassing!

That would be Captain Rudy Ransom you're thinking of above, portrayed by actor John Savage ( http://us.imdb.com/Name?Savage,+John ).

I agree that it might have been better to include some closure for Georgi in a later episode. However, I liked the idea of Ransom and am glad they didn't portray Geordi's mom as the captain of either Equinox or her own Hera. It just seems that it would have clashed w/what I think Geordi's mom would have been like, seeing as we've got a very idealistic, positive thinking and consist character in Geordi LaForge. It would be an inconsistancy to have Mom be like Ransom, lacking in morals just so she could get her crew home.

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
plus one of "Interface"'s main points is that it wasn't getting closure.. the writer was getting a tad iconoclastic, because the star trek clich� is that, if a ship is lost, they'll find it in one hour minus commercials. the fact that Geordi's mom was gone and there was no way to get her back was trying to prove something.. it would be a cheap story device that brought her back, and would invalidate the thrust of the episode..

plus, it would be, like, boring and shitty.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say specifially..lets replace Equinox with Hera and call it the same episode. Something fresh with the Hera found in the DQ would have been suitable as well. And since it seems to be insisted upon that the Hera and Captain LaForge were in place of Equinox, I wouldn't want her to replace Capt. Ransom...that would be a stupid idea, but then again, I never said it in the first place, I merely implied or wanted Voyager to resolve a known missing ship that can be related to...instead of making up a whole new ship altogether [Razz]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

capped
Member # 709

but one of the main things the writer of "Interface" wanted Geordi to deal with was that his mother wasn't coming back, and that he couldn't know why or do anything about it. this is pretty intense for Trek characters who are used to saving the day. considering that parts of the episode were piss poor, keeping the central theme intact seems that much more important.

not that i wouldnt be against voyager finding a known quantity in the DQ.. its just that when they did tht it usually just reeked of 'hey, we're really stretching for a continuity reference here'. like the ferengi episode.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...but Geordi wouldn't necessarily find resolution though Voyager finding the Hera...any number of things could easily prevent that from happening without digging too ddep, including the fact that Voyager wasn't in contact with Earth.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...if the episode has any redeeming quality it's that it show space is both dangerous and VERY VERY LARGE: infinite in fact.
Having Voyager find the Hera would have shown Trek's universe to be far too small.
After all, look at naval shipping: even with GPS technology, ships occasionally disapear and are pronounced lost......and the oceans are just a tad smaller than outer space. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
Member # 709

at least somebody gets it
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

blah blah blah

i certainly never intended an innocent footnote to turn into this...

And despite now big speace is...Voyager still managed to do at least nine "space is big but here's another pointless Alpha Quadrant reference" episode...and countless other conveinent Earth-based episodes...i just thought the Hera or something lost i've seen before besides lost Ferengi would have been a bit bettter, but then again, that's my opinion.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the Ferengi you speak of were a tie-in to a previous Star Trek episode. Unless you're talking about the ones who wanted to collect a nice sample of Borg nanoprobes, which sounds like a perfectly reasonable business opportunity (and story) to me, if a bit unethical, like writing software for the RIAA.
Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:
I agree that it might have been better to include some closure for Georgi in a later episode. However, I liked the idea of Ransom and am glad they didn't portray Geordi's mom as the captain of either Equinox or her own Hera. It just seems that it would have clashed w/what I think Geordi's mom would have been like, seeing as we've got a very idealistic, positive thinking and consist character in Geordi LaForge. It would be an inconsistancy to have Mom be like Ransom, lacking in morals just so she could get her crew home. [/QB]

Ah, but if, say, Ransom had been the ranking survivor of the Hera, and Geordi's mom died, then the idea would work. Seriously, had they gone to that trouble, it would've worked and made a small tie-in, which would've been nice, but otherwise not changed much, considering where voyager was.
Better would have been inclusion of later TNG eps of a sprinkling of dialogue that showed Geordi still grieving, but coping. 20 seconds of him leaving Troi's office as Riker comes to consult her about the forehead-problem of the week, maybe, or a few seconds of Guinan commiserating as picard shows the alien ambassador Ten-Forward acouple weeks later, would all have been nice without requiring a full ep devoted to it while adding a little personal depth and layering to the character.

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
But the Ferengi you speak of were a tie-in to a previous Star Trek episode. Unless you're talking about the ones who wanted to collect a nice sample of Borg nanoprobes, which sounds like a perfectly reasonable business opportunity (and story) to me, if a bit unethical, like writing software for the RIAA.

I meant that the Ferengi episode ("False Profits") was a bad tie in, and if it sounds as if I did, what I meant was that a tie-in with the Hera would mean more to "continuity of lost things we're aware of" through the series than the number of *random* finds Voyager made.

The entire premise of Geordi's argument about the Hera was that it could have been displaced by its touchy trionic warp doohickeys which possibly created an artificial funnel thing (if memory serves). Finding the Hera lost in the DQ could have confirmed Geordis theory...and gave the viewer a tie-in with TNG and Earth with something that they have seen before or are familiar with, such as the Ferengi/Barazan Wormhole episode or the one where they find Amelia Earhart.

In contrast, they threw a bunch of *random* bunk at us of other things lost in the DQ that Voyager beat the odds in finding...the Raven tops my list on that. Then there was the *random* finds such as: the old Klingon Battlecruiser, "Dreadnought", the "Equinox", the "Friendship One" probe, the "Ares IV" probe...we never knew they were missing/lost/etc yet the writers felt it necessary to find them...to me, that is more boring than a meaningful AQ tie-in, if that was they were intent on shoving down our throats.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I'm confused. "False Profits" was what you're asking for, no? An episode tying into a TNG episode.

In retrospect, most of the episodes you list that come from the last season can now be understood as thematic links to Enterprise.

Anyway, it's a big galaxy.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

"False Profits" is what I meant all along.

I originally said:

"...despite how big space is...Voyager still managed to have like nine "space is big, but here's another pointless Alpha Quadrant reference" episode...and countless other conveinent Earth-based episodes. I just thought the Hera, or something lost, i've seen before besides lost Ferengi would have been a bit bettter, but then again, that's my opinion."

Hmm, I guess to translate my hasty post: Seeing something on Voyager supposedly lost that Trek has shown or mentioned before, other than the Ferengi (in "False Profits"), would have been a better show, IMHO, than something we haven't seen before. The Hera would have been one such thing that Trek has shown or mentioned before, the Equinox would not.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps