Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sternbach spills beans on Retrieve ships (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sternbach spills beans on Retrieve ships
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we go, Griff, I even made it all pretty for ya:

quote:
  • OR=Operation Retrieve
  • SMA=Starship Mission Assignment list on an Enteprise monitor
  • Current assignment in parentheses:
Ahwahnee NCC-2048 SMA + OR (deep space exploration)
Challenger NCC-2032 SMA + OR (deep space exploration)
Constellation NX-1974 SMA (certification tests)
Eagle NCC-956 SMA + OR (colony resupply mission)
Emden NCC-1856 SMA (neutral zone patrol)
Endeavor NCC-1895 SMA + OR (deep space exploration)
Helin NCC-1692 SMA (scientific survey ship on neutral zone patrol in sector 21290)
John Muir NCC-1732 SMA (upgrade at Starbase 24)
Kongo NCC-1710 SMA (neutral zone patrol)
Korolev NCC-2014 SMA (diplomatic mission)
Lantree NCC-1837 SMA (carrying colony supplies in sector 22858)
Oberth NCC-602 SMA (deep space exploration)
Potemkin NCC-1657 SMA + OR (scientific survey)
Republic NCC-1371 SMA (neutral zone patrol)
Scovil NCC-1598 SMA + OR (astronomical research)
Springfield NCC-1963 SMA + OR (neutral zone patrol)
Whorfin NCC-1024 SMA (deep space explorer on neutral zone patrol)

However, the Emden doesn't seem to jive with what Sternbach revealed (as in not on the OR chart) and the Excelsior is missing...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, FG! I appreciate it. And I didn't think that you were being rude earlier, I really just couldn't find it. At the time, I was also a bit pressed for time, so couldn't be bothered to research it again.

Anyhow, do appreciate your taking the time to post that!

Captain Serek
Member # 1038

- posted      Profile for Captain Serek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Mike Okuda can ever access his old Syquest disks and perhaps convert them into a CD, the the Holy Grail can be seen and drooled over. I am thinking Syquest to Zip disk to CD as a possibility but I am sure that has been thought of already. [Cool]

--------------------
I've come a long way for the power of Genesis, and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik, and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Serek:
If Mike Okuda can ever access his old Syquest disks and perhaps convert them into a CD, the the Holy Grail can be seen and drooled over.

Or we ask Mr. Sternbach to scan it. [Big Grin]

quote:
Well, I found some data. Actually, found the chart.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*edit*

duped info from another poster's reply...I HATE being late to the threads sometimes... [Big Grin]

Face
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! Does any one have a picture of the Operation Retrieve chart, because there are a few ships that Rick didn't mentioned, like the USS Challenger, USS Scovil, and the USS Springfield.
IP: Logged
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watching the History Channel (some WW II navel battle), it suddenly occured to me, that this chart is like the map in the show. It shows the countries, general tactical movement for the ships, and generic icons for battleships, cruisers, and carriers, and airplane and radar ranges. By the ship icons, where their names and designations. In the Operation Retrieve chart, everybody that needed to know, would already know what the ships where and what their capabilities where. The icons would really only need to be an easy reference to where the battleships and cruisers would be.

I can just imagine some ensign having to search the Starfleet Database for a clear printable icon for the starship Ahwahnee, in under five minutes.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
of course, who, in 1991, could have predicted the advent of Google or the .PDF file format.

Star Trek is truly prophetic !!

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some things about the Enterprise monitor list just don't make sense to me.

The USS Constellation is still a prototype in 2293, even though the Hathaway was launched in 2285.

The Lantree is already doing cargo-hauling work. It made sense in 2365 because she was so old, but here she's younger than some ships pulling Neutral Zone Patrol.

Sector 21290? 22858? Bit high, considering that the Neutral Zone also contains sectors 14 and 15 (Star Trek II), and the highest TOS sector listed in the Encyclopedia is 39 (Tholian Web).

I guess some of the production people had their heads stuck in TNG mode. I'm sure that these discrepancies could be explained away with enough wriggling, but I wish they'd just been a little more careful in the first place.

Marian

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if Col. West maybe 'sexed-up' his chart. Made it look like they were ready to deploy in 45 minutes. . . 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol; Mind you his presentation didn't begin with "Yes, well, I mean, You know, look..." Unlike a certain PM's testimony...

Personally I'm in the generic symbols camp. Just because I like the idea of multiple classes going in [Smile] .

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle on September 03, 2003:
Watching the History Channel (some WW II navel battle), it suddenly occured to me, that this chart is like the map in the show. It shows the countries, general tactical movement for the ships, and generic icons for battleships, cruisers, and carriers, and airplane and radar ranges. By the ship icons, where their names and designations. In the Operation Retrieve chart, everybody that needed to know, would already know what the ships where and what their capabilities where. The icons would really only need to be an easy reference to where the battleships and cruisers would be.

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan on July 28, 2003:
However... can we automatically assume then that EVERY ship MUST be a Constitution since it's got that icon? Might Colonel West have used a generic icon for the medium cruiser-type ships (Constitutions and smaller) and the special Excelsior icon for the heavy cruiser that would be the anchor of the fleet?

I believe I already said that. [Big Grin] [Razz]

I might also point out that the Excelsior is vastly larger than the Constitution, the Miranda, or any other ships that might be used in the operation, plus would also likely be the flagship for the mission -- all deserving special notice, while all other ships get generic icons. And you also don't want to have really small icons, which would be tough for the poor president (with his antique glasses) to see from across his expansive office. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarianLH:
The USS Constellation is still a prototype in 2293, even though the Hathaway was launched in 2285.

USS Defiant was still a prototype even after Valiant had been launched, and probably after Sao Paulo would have been launched.

USS Galaxy was probably still a prototype even after Yamato, Challenger, and Enterprise had been launched.

Anyone want to bet that the Eagle was meant to be NCC-1956 all the time, and they merely typoed or there was a miscommunication somewhere?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for MinutiaeMan's suggestion. The alternative is just too disturbing. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The359:
Anyone want to bet that the Eagle was meant to be NCC-1956 all the time, and they merely typoed or there was a miscommunication somewhere?

I can just imagine Colnl. West's suprise when he transported to his flaship, only to find out that NCC-956 is an old mothballed scout.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps