Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sternbach spills beans on Retrieve ships (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sternbach spills beans on Retrieve ships
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I demand to hear what is going on. Who is Number One? *Where* is number one?"

As for the Constellation and the Lantree, I've suggested elsewhere that if the Constellations were "reconnaissance cruisers" like Sternbach says, they could have operated in a somewhat skunky manner. "Warp drive tests" along the Klingon border and the like. And the Lantree might not have lost her torpedo pod in the 24th century - she and the other vessels between NCC-1833 and 1842 could have been built to that standard to begin with.

Timo Saloniemi

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all we know, the 'standard' design may not have had a rollbar torpedo pod and that may very well may be a mission-specific option. it would make sense if Starfleet decided to try-out a class of inexpensive ships, with modular constructions and mission specific options.. kinda like the Runabouts in DS9.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
"I demand to hear what is going on. Who is Number One? *Where* is number one?"

That's not important. You are Number Six. [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doncha mean "You are, Number Six"? [Smile]

As far as my fantasy universe is concerned, the Mirandas were originally converted from TOS-era ships like many fan sources suggest. Since those fan TOS ships didn't have rollbars, I see them as add-on features that may not have been added in each and every individual conversion process. While seemingly "modular", they are probably still in practice permanent additions.

The Lantree registry still remains the lowest known Miranda one, both in canon and fan material. I thus like to see the podless class as the most direct descendant of the earliest variant in the family. Perhaps operational experiences later dictated adding of podded extra weaponry. (Also see the two really convoluted entries on TOS and Movie Mirandas in the Hitchhiker's Guide to UFP Starfleet, you-know-where...)

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in my fandom universe, the Miranda is as old as the Constellation in Sternbach's. [Razz]

I was just going to update a few things. As it looks now, I may have to add two new Constitutions, although I have been reluctant so far.

Aside from the aggravated Constitution inflation problem, how can we deal with a Constitution NCC-2048? Has a new ship just been built a few years prior to the movie? So far we had rather the problem of registries being too low.

I like the idea of symbolic depictions. Why would the President be interested in what exact class the ships are?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not, we had Entente with 2120 in 2272, Excelsior with 2000 in 2285, I don't see why a 2048 Ahwahnee isn't possible. I'd guess she was built sometime in the late 2270s or early 2280s.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the only reason the Excelsior was so late was because it was a protoype, and highly experimental with its traswarp drive, so it took a lot longer to produce. The Ahwahnee probably predates the Entente, given the registries. Not necessarily, but likely.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps