Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship Class U.S.S. Enterprise (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Starship Class U.S.S. Enterprise
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the Shuttlecraft Shuttlecraft is stowed in the U.S.S. Starships's shuttlebay.

Crewed by Captain Kap Tin, Ensign Ens In and Science Officer Cy'ints Awf'isser.

Of course there is no U.S.S. Starship.

They hadn't even thought of the 'lead ship becomes class name' stuff yet. It's why I call my pencil a pencil and not an 'Eagle HB **** LX.'

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT IS A VULGAR PENCIL.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
They hadn't even thought of the 'lead ship becomes class name' stuff yet. It's why I call my pencil a pencil and not an 'Eagle HB **** LX.'

Actually, if the Space Seed picture is correct, and the Constitution being NCC-1700 in behind the scenes reference stuff is also correct, then it's quite possible that they were, indeed, already on the "lead ship becomes class ship".

The reason they didn't do it is simply due to the fact that they wanted to get the whole "starship" concept across. The Enterprise wasn't a mere "spaceship", it was a "starship", a more romantic and thrilling name, conjouring up images of ships that travel between stars as easily as ships today travel between countries.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Member # 239

I have seen maybe three episodes of TOS, beginning to end.
Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post 
Groan. The subject of this thread is pretty nit- picky if you ask me. Next, we are going to start arguing about the Enterprise being the first starship, or bird as Matt Jefferies described it, in the sevententh starship class hence NCC-1701. Is it supposed to be United Earth Space Probe Agency or the United Federation of Planets?

I agree with Griffworks and others on this point, the Starship part of Starship Class was to differentiate the type of space ship the Enterprise was from the lesser and mediocre spaceships flying aound. Remember in "Bread and Circuses" how Captain Merrick talked about Kirk with a certain reverence calling him a starship captain and how he considered Kirk, and starship captains in general, to have more fortitude and stronger morals than he did. I don't think that the intention was to ever have a U.S.S. Starship in Star Trek.

I think it's also unfair to show this plaque as proof of a U.S.S. Starship when the details of the Star Trek universe were still being worked out and revised and even before the Constitution-class moniker was ever given to the U.S.S. Enterprise. Cut the creators a little slack here. [Wink]

At least later episodes of the original series maintained continuity and although it isn't perfect, some continuity is maintained throughout the four otherStar Trek spin off series and movies. At least now it's clear that the class is named for the lead starship of that class.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sargon:
Futurama Guy: If this topic makes you uncomfortable because it challenges your precious treknology beliefs, then you don't have to participate. [Wink] The argument will end when no one continues it. Chill pal.

Wha??!! This topic ended, in one of its various incarnations over two months ago...

I never said anything about being uncomfortable, I said something more to the effect that this has been talked to death, and people really need to learn the search feature of flare instead of inundating us with long dead thoroughly discussed topics (unless, of course new, relavent, information is presented/discussed).

Your arguement is simply:
quote:
Wait a sec, every TOS episode, without exception, identifies the U.S.S. Enterprise as being Starship Class on her dedication plaque. What is that, 72 episodes plus The Cage? But then we have one small viewscreen graphic where the words Constitution Class are not readable.
We have more than "one small viewscreen graphic"...as I said before: "Constitution Class" was specifically spoken on screen in blatant reference to the USS Enterprise (TOS) in "Relics" [TNG] and "Trials and Tribble-ations" [DS9]...easily nullifying the entire topic.

Be it or not that all 79+1 episodes had the plaque on the bridge, the ship by no means was ever certified as anything verbally until it was indentified in the aforementioned episodes, therefore seeming to supercede any 'behind the scenes' information from TOS; especially during an era of an overly generic Trek universe...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FG, might I also add that E-nil was referred to as Constitution class in the TNG episode "The Naked Now", the second episode of the 1st season and of the entire TNG series. So they had already established the class that early in the trek saga... ignoring the "Space Seed" display which fans didn't really know about until recently.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
FG, might I also add that E-nil was referred to as Constitution class in the TNG episode "The Naked Now", the second episode of the 1st season and of the entire TNG series. So they had already established the class that early in the trek saga... ignoring the "Space Seed" display which fans didn't really know about until recently.

Does anyone have a clear image of this display?

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
FG, might I also add that E-nil was referred to as Constitution class in the TNG episode "The Naked Now", the second episode of the 1st season and of the entire TNG series.

I thought so...but I didn't feel like taking the time to double check and face to ridicule of misinforming the masses. [Big Grin] Thank you for the correction/addition.

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. As I recall, Picard had gone through the historical database because he remembered a very similar incident happening before. He finds out the E-nil had the similar incident and read aloud to the effects of "Constitution class Enterprise under the command of Captain James T. Kirk."

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although they show a picture of the refit, rather than the original. SILLY FOOLS!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Although they show a picture of the refit, rather than the original. SILLY FOOLS!

Ironically, in ST3 when Chekov was watching the security blinky (when McCoy broke into Spocks quarters) they showed a picture of the original (out of FJ Tech Man), rather than the refit.... [Razz]

--------------------

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it showed a most recent picture and not a picture for the relative time period?

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
I have seen maybe three episodes of TOS, beginning to end.

Not to worry: you might have caught the three GOOD episodes after all....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
>SNIPPERINO<
ignoring the "Space Seed" display which fans didn't really know about until recently.

To be totally fanboyish here: the article in T-Negative was written by Greg Jein in the mid-70's. Thus, the information contained in the display has been known about for some years, just not by the general public. [Wink]

Sorry, couldn't resist... [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps