Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship Class U.S.S. Enterprise (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Starship Class U.S.S. Enterprise
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Gothic women, nerdy women, business women, domaniatrixs, insane women, latin women, asian women, Blonde women, brunette women, red haired women and possibly women that hate me or want to kill me all come before I could consider any man vaguely attractive.
And dead women.
Can't forget necrophillia.
Dead girls can't say "no". [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"possibly women that hate me or want to kill me"

ALl ofthem1!11 ha ah

im so n33t

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Simon would."

The voice of experience. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Nope. Gothic women, nerdy women, business women, domaniatrixs, insane women, latin women, asian women, Blonde women, brunette women, red haired women and possibly women that hate me or want to kill me all come before I could consider any man vaguely attractive.

YOU ARE NOT GAY! SUBTLE TO THE MAX!!!!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
M'kay.
You got it.
Nothing wrong with gay guys, mind you.
They cut down on the competition for all those women.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YOU ARE NOT AFRAID OF GAYS!!!!! OR CLICHES!!!!! YOU ARE HETRO TO THE MAX!!!!!!!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are tidy and neat, too.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
They are tidy and neat, too.

Now there's a false sterotype if I've ever heard one.
Some are neat freaks but some I know are total slobs....just like everyone else.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

But you wouldn't sleep with a caucasian woman, so you are racist and not gay.

--------------------

aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sargon:
Originally the TOS Enterprise is clearly designated Starship Class. It's on the dedication plaque, on screen schematics (Day of the Dove), etc. Years later, we have her designated Constitution Class in the Franz Joseph Blueprints, and then later in one or more of the films.

So, should there be a ship that is a predecessor to the Enterprise called the U.S.S. Starship?

I know you guys don't like this subject rearing its ugly head again, but after stumbling across this thread while searching for something else, it occured to me that something was being left out of the discussion.

While I favor the idea that "starship class" referred to the broad categry of spacecraft the ship belonged to (e.g. "class one starship of the line versus class two spacecraft, etc) there is an easy explanation for this if you insist that "starship class" refers to an actual class of ships.

The Royal Navy has classes of ships that are named after categories of things. For example, there are "Weapon class destroyers" with names like HMS Battleaxe, Broadsword, Carronade, Culverin, Crossbow, Halberd, Musket, and Tomahawk. There are also "Town-class destroyers" -- HMS Leeds, Campbeltown, Lancaster, Lincoln, Bath, Brighton, and Newport. And yet there is no HMS Town, or HMS Weapon.

Is it so farfetched that Starfleet has named a class of ships after famous retired starships? And that, when variations on that class are developed that no longer follow that "named for famous old starships" scheme, the classes are renamed for the lead ships?

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for bringing some class back to this discussion, aridas!

I think the idea was bandied about a long time ago in the Usenet realm, but largely forgotten afterwards. Certainly it holds a lot of merit. The main question probably would be whether such a class designation would make it to the dedication plaque. What would the plaque of, say, a L class RN destroyer say? Would it really read "L Class"?

Okay, perhaps that's a bit too severe... What would the plaque of an old County class cruiser or Tribal class destroyer say?

Not that Starfleet would be bound to remain true to RN practices, of course.

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:

I firmly expected that sentence to be followed by one compacting aridas' powers and personality down to a neat little soundbite. I am jaded.

--------------------

aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:

I think the idea was bandied about a long time ago in the Usenet realm, but largely forgotten afterwards. Certainly it holds a lot of merit. The main question probably would be whether such a class designation would make it to the dedication plaque. What would the plaque of, say, a L class RN destroyer say? Would it really read "L Class"?

Okay, perhaps that's a bit too severe... What would the plaque of an old County class cruiser or Tribal class destroyer say?

Not that Starfleet would be bound to remain true to RN practices, of course.

Timo Saloniemi

Here ya' go:

http://www.warmemorialsnsw.asn.au/Details.cfm?MemNo=329

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

Whatever the origins of that plaque, it seems a bit too extensive to have been part of the ship during her active career. It's conceptually a bit different from, say, these. I haven't managed to find anything similar online for actual real-world warships yet, but the ones shown here are pretty close to the Trek ones conceptually. No class names there, though.

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People have come up with lists of names for pretty much every one of the 80 000 or so theoretical Starfleet ships, and I don't think they've ever had to descend to something like "Aid to Navigation".
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps