Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Galaxy, Trinculo, Challenger, and 6/12 frames. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Galaxy, Trinculo, Challenger, and 6/12 frames.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Mim. "Drumhead" took place long enough after the battle that the final tallies would have been in. In the case of the wrecks we saw, at least twenty ships left hulks deemed 'destroyed', in that they were damaged beyond practical repair. We don't know how many more were out of the camera's range. We don't know how many were atomised in warp core breaches. But given that the Ahwahnee was there, largely intact, and showed up again less than a year later on active duty, I have absolutely no problem accepting it as the lone exception in the "thirty-nine starships destroyed" figure given in that episode.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
What everyone else said and that didn't Admiral Satie say 39 ships were destroyed of the 40 sent in. Since we know that and the same Ahwahnee was mentioned as in "in service" later, she's the one that survived and not Endeavour. I'm of the opinion that Hanson's BB was really the bridge of a non GCS, possibly the Melbourne herself.

Satie didn't say "out of 40" though just that 39 ships were lost. What I was saying is that while the 39 figure is precise, the 40 may not be. (Like "a fleet of 40 starships" could possibly mean 41 or 43 or something.) I'm not saying I necessarily believe this, just that it's a possibility if people want to maintain that the Endeavour was a survivor as well as the Ahwahnee...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was the exact wording of the 39 ships claim?

39 ships "destroyed" is a lot more definitive than 39 ships "lost".

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I'd go looking to see if this was still around. . .

I prefer to believe the Ahwahnee was the survivor, although I could be persuaded otherwise. But destroyed means destroyed. Crippled with life support failure doesn't mean destroyed. The Enterprise can't be the only ship to encounter Borg and survive apart from at Wolf 359 and Typhon/Sector 001. The Endeavour and the Excalibur could have had run-ins as well; Maybe, for the Borg, everything begins with an 'e' 8)

I don't see why the Trinculo should be ignored just because we've never identified its appearance onscreen. Looking at it form another direction, we used to rubbish ideas we'd ever identify the Nebula in the DS9 credits before we found out it was the Leeds.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I'm certainly in the "there were more than 40 ships at Wolf 359" camp, as well as in the "the Endeavour and the Excalibur were not at Wolf 359" camp, and in a lot of other camps as well, there's something I should point out. Not a big thing, just a semantic detail. But perhaps significant anyway.

A ship can be "sunk". This does not mean she would be permanently lost - for all we know, somebody might decide to raise the vessel even centuries hence and convert her into a starship...

However, there is no comparable word for a starship. Even if he wanted, a TNG writer could not say "like the battleship row of Pearl Harbor, the sunken starships were later put back to service". The word "destroyed" does carry all the implications of permanence that Lee points out.

*Could* there be a synonym for "sunk" that could be applied to starships? "Voided" would be a nice one - complete loss of onboard atmosphere is rather analogous to sinking, and probably fatal for 99% of the crew, yet easily recoverable in engineering terms. (We can't say "evacuated", since the word already has another meaning - but the other meaning of "to void" might not interfere too badly here.)

Timo Saloniemi

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, that's a very good question. After all, the same problem would've applied to ships like the Defiant after the Breen attack on Chin'toka, assuming that the bad guys hadn't gone torpedo-happy at the end.

"Disabled"? "Deactivated"? "Crippled"? (That one implies that it's still active, though.) "Inoperative"? "Inactive"?

I think that we should just call those ships "broken." And keep those Pakled references to yourself, okay [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But there's a lot more to a starship than a watertight hull! Of course, if Hanson was just throwing a round number - forty - in the air, then the whole discussion is moot since 'more than forty' allows more than one ship to survive while losing 39 others. . .

You know, it's just occurred to me, post-DS9 we're all jaded about ship losses. 39 starships, that's a fuck of a lot, really.

But I object to trying to diminish the importance of the 39 ships line. If some of them were salvageable, she'd have said less. the point was, when she said it, those ships were gone. For good. Thanks to Picard, the fleet was out 39 ships.

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Lee about the loss of Starfleet vessels at Wolf 359. Voided sounds good for a Starship that has been knocked out.

The evidence for the Ahwahnee surviving seems much better to me that that for the Excalibur/Endeavour being at Wolf 359.

This was supposed to be a major defeat for Starfleet; in recent years they may have lost a few ships against the Cardassians and others and a few in other circumstances but 39 at one time? How many Starfleet ships were destroyed in the rest of the TNG run?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But even if the Ahwahnee wasn't technically destroyed, all its crew were dead.

We still need another ship to survive in order to pick up the escape pods and run like hell in the other direction.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That could have been done by the supposed Klingon ships called upon by Hanson.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
Member # 393

Hmm. . . How about "derelict?" or "adrift?" How did Picard describe the Defiant in ST:FC? "Adrift but salvageable," something like that?

--------------------

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...or Klingon ships could've seen action as well making the total number of battling ships over 40. The admiral's line about ships lost being 39 could've included some Klingon ships, which could then mean that of actual Starfleet ships, both the Ahwahnee and the Endeavor could've been survivors and the admiral could still be correct in saying 39 ships were lost at Wolf 359.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voided?

Let's ask Worf and Captain Picard:

Worf: "The Defiant?"
Picard: "Adrift but salvagable."

Tough little ship... [Wink]

While I wouldn't suggest "adrift" as the preferable term, voided sounds a little strange IMHO.

How about simply "out"?

As in "We've sent the second wave...23 of them are already out".

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Lee
Member # 393

Now, did Admiral Satie seem the kind of person likely to care about how many ships the Klingons lost?

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

If Klingon ships were there, they would have fought to the death, rather than pick up survivors and run.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps