Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Galaxy, Trinculo, Challenger, and 6/12 frames. (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Galaxy, Trinculo, Challenger, and 6/12 frames.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's some handy FAQ's in the Navy Historical Center...

I found this article about carriers' locations at the time of Pearl Harbor. There's not too much detail, but it does mention that several carriers were shifted over to the Pacific after the start of the war, even as Germany was declaring war against the US, too.

Of course, I've never heard anything about the Germans fielding their own aircraft carriers... did they ever build any at all? Everything I know indicates that the majority of the naval war (aside from the Bismarck and various U-boat engagements) took place in the Pacific, against Japan.

I think that it's likely that Starfleet might've decided to divert extra GCS's to Sisko's fleet for this one attack, considering that they needed the extra firepower, which the Galaxy could probably provide. And like the DS9:TM suggests, those ships would've been returned to their original commands after the battle. The only question is whether those extra GCS's could be spared from where they were -- like the Vulcan defense lines, and elsewhere in the UFP territories. I would guess that they probably could, assuming Starfleet were just doing defensive actions, not giving any territory or trying to take any back, then the GCS's could be spared temporarily.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, the Germans had one carrier partially built during WWII. It never got used, probably because it wasn't completed, and ended up as a docked warehouse for raw material and precious hardwood.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the subject of German aircraft carriers in WWII: David is right.
Only one, "Graf Zeppelin" was actually built - at least partially. The almost completed vessel was sunk in April of 1945 before it ever saw any action. The Soviets raised the wreck in 1946 and towed it to Leningrad. It is unknown what happened to the ship after that

There were also plans to convert the following merchant ships / passenger liners (although all plans were halted before any conversions had actually taken place) :

Seydlitz
Europa
Potsdam
Gneisenau (Not the famous battleship, but an old passenger liner)
De Grasse

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a few more questions.. in the following games: Armada, ST: Borg and Bridge Commander, were there any Galaxies shown (and registries?).. which ones were 'fixed' (the same name/reg every time you played the game) and if not fixed, than what was the list of names the computer would choose/supply a name (and reg?) from?

i think the Dauntless is from one, and has the same reg every time you play but i've seen a few more during my research i'm not sure of...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neat website.
Possibly the least accurate schematic of the New Orleans I've ever seen though....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had actually seen that one, but i was seeking confirmation of those references.. the webmaster seems to like 'repairing' NCC numbers (the 71806 Galaxy and the 71899 Challenger) so i was wondering if the regs for the other gaming ships were original or derived from the game.. anyone know?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Armada doesn't have registries.

Galaxies from Armada I:
Odyssey, Ulysses, Argo, Pequod, Frontier, Geronimo, Scimitar, Trident, Citadel, Jubei, Valhalla, Malevolent, Andromeda, Dominance, Reverant, Formidable, Perseus, Renown, Vindictive

Galaxies from Armada II:
Odyssey, Ulysses, Argo, Pequod, Frontier, Geronimo, Scimitar, Trident, Citadel, Persia, Valhalla, Andromeda, Dominance, Reverent, Formidable, Perseus, Renown, Rylander, Goodman, Taylor, Berry

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Armada II ships have registries if you look at the "Admiral's Log" after the game.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NCC-71806 for the USS Galaxy is something I've seen before years ago. I think some fans thought that as the first six were authorised at the same time they must have sequential registries. So when the Galaxy stopped being an experiment and dropped the NX- it must have changed its number to be one lower than that of the Yamato. The remaining three of the first batch would be 71808 to 71810 (or maybe 71809 to 71811 if they left a space for the Enterprise).

Dumb theory, I haven't actually see it on a web site for about five years and thought ut had died out.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:

De Grasse

Junior High? [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
French!

Actually, I don't understand the joke! Care to explain?

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Armada II ships have registries if you look at the "Admiral's Log" after the game.

Well there's nothing about them in the ODF file for the Galaxy Class so I assume they are random.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:
French!

Actually, I don't understand the joke! Care to explain?

In a nutshell, "Degrassi" is the name of a street and the franchise of a series of mediocre Canadian shows about the kids who live there - elementary through high school. Some of the original cast star in the revival show "Degrassi: The Next Generation" has teachers at their old high school.

Beachcombers and Degrassi. THAT'S ALL CANADIAN TV HAS.

Back on topic...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

Ah, thanks for the info, Mark!

Degrassi - The Next Generation. Interesting link to Star Trek... ;-)

And now for something completely different:
Back to the topic.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps