Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ The Techlight Zone! ["Twilight" Spoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$ The Techlight Zone! ["Twilight" Spoilers]
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Something just occurred to me... aren't the NX-01's warp coils supposed to be ASYMMETRICAL? As in, they require both nacelles to form a proper warp field? Based on what we know of warp fields -- from Okudagrams and the like -- I find it hard to believe that it'd be that simple...

Warp coils work efficiently when they are paired. There is nothing that dictates they have to be paired.

The Asymmetrical part comes in with the warp field... it's like a triangle. The sides are symmetrical to each other but the front is wider than the back. Thus you can think of it as the back of the warp field squeezing the ship towards the wider front.

A vessel with a single nacelle will have have a harder time moving for a few reasons. 1) Half the power is gone. 2) Their remaining nacelle is off the center axis... the warp field has to be realigned. 3) Endurance is halved (remember that to run at the same level as before, the single nacelle has to work as hard as two, but it's only one nacelle. It can't run that hard very long, or on a regular basis). 4) Manueverability is essentially nothing now (prior to this, it was easy to turn a ship at warp by increasing or decreasing power in one nacelle causing a field imbalance [more power on the left, makes you turn right and vice versa... it's like propellers in water]). I can't figure out a way to do that with just one set of field coils (the fore-aft imbalance that makes a warp field asymmetrical is a product of the way the energize the coils, there is simply no way to turn with one set of coils). Then again, "Speed of light, no left or right" has some meaning here.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still don't see how people think the triangular ship looks like the Norway... [Confused]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
The Asymmetrical part comes in with the warp field... it's like a triangle. The sides are symmetrical to each other but the front is wider than the back. Thus you can think of it as the back of the warp field squeezing the ship towards the wider front.

That may be true (or not), but they actually mean the coils themselves are asymmetrical. If you look at the display on the front of the warp core, you'll see that each set of warp coils is made of two halves, with the outboard half being much larger than the inboard half.

B.J.

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have to say that I think it�s a nice bit of continuity that we have the NX-01-Akira, "Iceland"-Norway and "Intrepid"-Steamrunner. Hell, not many people complained with the whole excelsior-via-ambassador-to-galaxy thing?
Personally I would like to se not a pre-saber but definetly a pre-miranda!

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the 'Iceland's' primary hull reminds me of the Akyazi's. Looks like a good ep!
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no pre-Steamrunner present at all, to me. The Steamrunner is basically a stupid box shape, with a random act of deflector nutsack haphazardly hanging down between nacelles in ridiculous configuration (for both maintenance and adventurious designsmanship).

Intrepid, meanwhile, has a half-saucer with a long spine, to which are attached warp engines which reach far forward. I don't see a resemblance.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/393/03iceland.jpg
Has anyone recognized that second ship from the left yet?

And it can't be Iceland class. It should be something like IS Class (ISO code for Iceland [Smile] ).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesnt look like its made from the same shiny-coppery metal as the Earth ships so mabye it's a Andorian transport.
It vaguely looks like that design ethic.

It also looks vaguely like a Vor'Cha, but I seriously doubt the klingons would be helpfull under any circumstances.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were to guess, I'd say the Iceland-type would maybe be the oldest of the ships. . . followed by the Intrepid-type, then of course the NX. The former could conceivably be some sort of lifting-body-shuttle, heavily retrofitted to include warp nacelles. Unlikely, but it might have been that early warp-ship developers weren't that familiar with warp-field geomteries and wanted to streamline as much as possible, and went with the tried and tested lifting body shape.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship is the old Hazari from Voyager, I think

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:

I was actually more disappointed that they didn't just disable the frelling weapons with that delta radiation gimmick that they mentioned last week!

Remember though that the Xindi also had 12 years to adapt countermeasures to Enterprises bag o' tricks as well. They probably genetically engineered new worm power packs that weren't vulnerable to delta radiation.

Speaking of weapons. Some of those stuntmen probably had a sore back after being yanked back on the wire to simulate getting blown back 15 feet by the Xindi weapons. I've never seen a better combination of stunts, FX, and story in Trek.

With one warp nacelle, they can manage a plodding warp 1.7. I think this is the first real evidence that starships CAN function with one nacelle lost, albeit at severely reduced speed.

Something just occurred to me... aren't the NX-01's warp coils supposed to be ASYMMETRICAL? As in, they require both nacelles to form a proper warp field? Based on what we know of warp fields -- from Okudagrams and the like -- I find it hard to believe that it'd be that simple...

It only looked like a few of the forward warp coils were fused though, maybe the ones further aft could generate enough of a field to at least allow them to limp home?

I'm 99% positive that I saw at least one Y-class freighter in the first "rag-tag fugitive fleet" scene. Not sure about the others... here's praying for good screencaps! [Wink]

I think there was two. One with cargo pods and one with only the drive section and the cargo maglock spine attached.

quote:
-Speaking of which, Rudy Ransom discovered the Yridians, eh? Hehe.
LMAO, I completely forgot about that! And "Equinox" happened right in the middle of Braga's tenure as Voyager EP, too! Go figure... [Roll Eyes]

Not a continuity error at all since the timeline was altered and they never encountered the Yridian now. [Wink]

Anyone notice the nice manuever pulled off by the Intrepid in the final big battle? It started off firing at the Xindi inverted, flipped over in place, then resumed firing right side up. Not that it should be a difficult manuever in space but I've never seen a Trek ship do that before. I wonder why it was inverted in the first place. A rapid reversing manuever perhaps? Bringing some additional weapon on the underside of the ship to bear?

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Starship Freak
Member # 293

Bond, James Bond, read Timo�s post a page back. First contact with the yridians were made sometime before Ransom, probably a long time befor, because it was clearly said in "Equinox" that he "rediscovered" the yridians. Somehow, people thought they became extinct...

--------------------

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So nothings changed really because humans may never discover them now that the timeline has been returned to normal until the time of Ransom. They're only unknown and thought extinct to the Federation in the future, not everyone.

The Yridians may actually live in the Expanse and that's why they were thought to be extinct for so long. That's if the Expanse survives.

Speaking of which, the Enterprise seems to have overcome the problem of not being able to leave the Expanse as mentioned in "Anomoly".

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

An alternate explanation is that they were thought to go extinct after Enterprise's time period and were then rediscovered in Ransom's time.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bond, James Bond:
Speaking of which, the Enterprise seems to have overcome the problem of not being able to leave the Expanse as mentioned in "Anomoly".

I figure the Enterprise managed to sneak into one of those Xindi subspace conduit things they transport the weapon through.

No way they got all the way back to earth on one nacelle in time to actually see the attack. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps