Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ The Techlight Zone! ["Twilight" Spoilers] (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$ The Techlight Zone! ["Twilight" Spoilers]
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
We should have a "Design the proto-Sabre before they do" competition or something. 8)

Actually, I do believe that Masao already did that! [Wink] (Although he told me that he hadn't yet seen the Saber when he first sketched out the Kestrel...)
quote:
Originally posted by J:
Warp coils work efficiently when they are paired. There is nothing that dictates they have to be paired.

The Asymmetrical part comes in with the warp field... it's like a triangle. The sides are symmetrical to each other but the front is wider than the back. Thus you can think of it as the back of the warp field squeezing the ship towards the wider front.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about... but the warp field also needs to be symmetrical when you're looking at it from the TOP OF THE SHIP. With asymmetrical warp coils, you can't get the balance of the fields for the whole ship -- or you shouldn't anyway. I still think that something like that should tear the ship apart sooner than it would send them anywhere at Warp 1.7...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tangent - it just ocurred to me that the NX bridge chair is the same as the one on the "Neptune Class" surveyors (this from the episode where everyone goes obsessive-compulsive space happy). If someone can dig up a screenshot of Ramirez aboard the Intrepid from "The Expanse", and if he's using the same chair as on the Enterprise bridge...

Also, another Captain Ramirez commanded the ill-fated USS Valiant in the DS9 episode of the same name...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I could be arsed, at this point I might Photoshop a picture of Sean Connery in Highlander sitting in a captain's chair. . . 8)

I like that Kestrel. Although the side-view doesn't really do it for me.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I am Juan Sanchez Villalobos Ramirez... and I am in command of this starship."
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you make that, I'll put Davros in an admiral's uniform and stick him in the center seat on the TOS Enterprise.

Mabye I can make a nice Spok Dalek....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also possible the starboard nacelle wasn't completely dead. You could still see the blue glow at the very rear of it, which implies a coil or two might've remained intact.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I can just see the bridge crew getting violently ill, corkscrewing along, at warp 1.7...

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
It's also possible the starboard nacelle wasn't completely dead. You could still see the blue glow at the very rear of it, which implies a coil or two might've remained intact.

Correct. From the Closed Caption logs:

The starboard nacelle's a lost cause -- half the coils have been fused.
How long to repair them?
If we were at Jupiter Station, three weeks. Out here... I'd have to rebuild the coil assembly from scratch. Six months, minimum. For now, the best I can give you is warp one-point-seven.
We're not going to get very far at that speed.
Resume our previous heading. Dismissed.
How can we keep going with one warp engine?
There's no other option.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
Heh, I can just see the bridge crew getting violently ill, corkscrewing along, at warp 1.7...

Couldn't be much worse than Kirk's warp two pivot from "Elaan of Troyius", or even the circling at warp ten from "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield".

"Keptin, ve have no seatbelts (vhich vere Russian inventions) but vhat about dose barf-bags vor veak American stomacks?"

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

Hey, is it just me, or are the Intrepid and the Flying Turnover both missing impulse engines? I can't seem to find them on the caps I've nabbed from various places.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some kinda blue glow at the rear of the Iceland's nacelles. . . Or maybe part of the Intrepid's spine?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
Hey, is it just me, or are the Intrepid and the Flying Turnover both missing impulse engines? I can't seem to find them on the caps I've nabbed from various places.

Look carefully at the (heh heh) Flying Turnover's rear... at the very back of it is some sort of impulse engine looking thing (the "crystal" at the center of the top of it). I don't know if this makes any sense... I'm kind of tired. [Smile]

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Yes, that's what I'm talking about... but the warp field also needs to be symmetrical when you're looking at it from the TOP OF THE SHIP. With asymmetrical warp coils, you can't get the balance of the fields for the whole ship -- or you shouldn't anyway. I still think that something like that should tear the ship apart sooner than it would send them anywhere at Warp 1.7...

Look at the GCS' warp field schematics. The only only time it's symmetrical is when you're look at the ventral and forward axis but that's because they are the same fold just from a different view.

If you rearrange the warp field of the NX-E so that the "top" is actually the side of the vessel with the good nacelle... then adjust the field coils so that they are balanced closer to the center of the ship [which should throw the warp field off to the other side]. All in all, I think it's doable as long as you keep it slow, faster speeds require more delicate field manipulation.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

From looking at the "Expanse" shots at stguardian.to, it looks like the impulse engines of the ships just weren't lit in this episode.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And looking at the "Expanse" shots from my videotape, the Intrepid command chair is NOT the same as on Enterprise. Whatever a Neptune-class surveyor is, Intrepid ain't it.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps