Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Planetbusting Weapons in Trek [possible spoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Planetbusting Weapons in Trek [possible spoilers]
Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet Intelligence is unstoppable. Would you believe... they've got shoe communicators? (Hopefully someone remembers "Get Smart" or at least watches Nick at Nite:D).

There power is rivalled only by the might of Starfleet Security, with there supercool "Elroy" hats and there ability to beat down anyone except a five foot six man in his mid-fifties whom they called "Tiny".

Anyhoo, back to planetwide weapons of mass destruction:

Tox Uthat -
(One wonders why those stupid Vorgons were so interested in this device when they could create an equivalent weapon just by collecting Trilithium from a warp core? Or since they've obviously mastered time travel, just find a way to erase there enemies from existence?).

Omega Molecules -
In large enough quantities I bet they could cause a planet to explode.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega often causes other Flarites to explode at him.
It's his nature.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to make sure all the info is straight, the scene played out:

McCoy: "Somewhere in the... Mutara sector."
Alien: "Ohh... Mutara restricted. Take permits many. Money more."

McCoy: "All right, dammit. It's Genesis! The name of the place we're going is Genesis!"
Alien: "Genesis!? Genesis allowed is not. Is planet forbidden."

Then ONE Federation Security guy steps over and ends the conversation.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
If Starfleet could develop a Genesis device with no re-programing of matter, just the power to destroy the existing structure, they'd have nothing to fear from the Borg

Going a bit further they could have it turn all structure in to cute pink bunnies! [Razz]

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bond, James Bond:
Tox Uthat -
(One wonders why those stupid Vorgons were so interested in this device when they could create an equivalent weapon just by collecting Trilithium from a warp core? Or since they've obviously mastered time travel, just find a way to erase there enemies from existence?).

That's because the two Vorgons weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. According to Q, they wouldn't have been a threat even if they HAD managed to get their hands on the device -- in nearly every timeline where they steal it, they ended up blowing themselves up with it. And in the ones where they didn't, they blew up Riker with it, which Q says is almost as good. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Omega Molecules -
In large enough quantities I bet they could cause a planet to explode.

um.. seeing as a single Omega molecule caused an entire sector of space to collapse into a subspace rift, and a sector could contain dozens of planets, i don't think the quantities are an issue

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^ I believe the actual station that was conducting the Federation's first Omega Particle test survived, at least I seem to remember them showing a Regula Class space station with the side blown out. Hardly an entire sector collapsing into subspace and destroying dozens of planets...

What the Omega Particles did do was render warp travel in the entire sector impossible, a formidable weapon in itself if you wish to reduce your enemies to not being able to leave their own home system without the messiness of actually destroying them.

Also, the alien reserach station where Voyager tracked the Omega Particle test to was destroyed but some blackened but still upright buildings survived around the perimeter, and indeed the planet itself was fine. No mention was made of damage to subspace in that instance as far as I can remember.

Now, disregarding the subspace effects and focusing purely on the blast effects, which I was attempting to do when I first mentioned it, it is significant to note that only a single or a couple Omega Molecules were needed to produce those explosions, which would appear to be a vastly better performing warhead size to blast energy ratio then either nuclear or antimatter weapons which still require a significant amount of plutonium or antimatter to work.

So, back to my original statement, I think if you get enough Omega Molecules together you could blow up a planet with them, though the side effect, whether good or bad to your cause, may be that warp drive would be useless in the sector forever afterwards.

MM, good point about the Vorgons, I had forgotten that bit of dialogue.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leuckinc:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
If Starfleet could develop a Genesis device with no re-programing of matter, just the power to destroy the existing structure, they'd have nothing to fear from the Borg

Going a bit further they could have it turn all structure in to cute pink bunnies! [Razz]
Prefab Defiants crewed by multiples of Sonia Gomez in Playboy bunny outfits.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So, back to my original statement, I think if you get enough Omega Molecules together you could blow up a planet with them, though the side effect, whether good or bad to your cause, may be that warp drive would be useless in the sector forever afterwards.

Except that the effects of the Omega on subspace is proportional to the number of molecules. I'm pretty sure that Janeway stated that the number of molecules they found out in the Delta Quadrant would have quite possibly destroyed subspace for thousands of light-years in all directions!
quote:
MM, good point about the Vorgons, I had forgotten that bit of dialogue.
Actually, Bond, that was a joke! You should read Q's Guide to the Continuum some time... [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

Don't take advantage of my bad memory like that. [Wink]

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Hey, I thought that mentioning Q (who had nothing to do with "Captain's Holiday") would be a dead giveaway... [Wink]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps