Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Polaris (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: USS Polaris
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
the Victory was never seen being towed. it was an active ship that rendezvoused with the E-D..
The footage of the Victory (which lasted for about five seconds) was the head-on shot of the approaching Stargazer form "The Battle" but the perspective was much farther away so that the viewer couldn't see the battle damage or the name "Stargazer" on the hull.

IMHO, this was a stupid shot. Obviously the producers felt they had to actually show the rendezvous (without building a new model), so the best stock footage shot they had at the time was of the Stargazer, so that's what they used. I personally think they shouldn't even have shown the Victory at all, if that's what they were going to use to represent it. It threw a monkey wrench into the hypothesis that Constellation-class ships weren't on active service as of 2363.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the very best stock footage shot would be the ol' Hood rendevous scene that's played near endlessly through the first few seasons.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the Victory was yet again shown on the DS9 Casualty Chart of the Dominion War. So at least one Constellation was still around.

The Victory was also on the starship operations list during TNG with a mission of "Stellar Nuclei Population Survey".

The class vessel NX-1974 was still undergoing Certification Tests as of 'Trek VI' so as a starship class, the Constellation Class was newer than the Mirandas and they're still around in the 2370s.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
The class vessel NX-1974 was still undergoing Certification Tests as of 'Trek VI' so as a starship class, the Constellation Class was newer than the Mirandas and they're still around in the 2370s.

That has to be false, though; the Excelsior was a long-running project that had to have taken a lot longer to develop than a conventional starship like the Constellation. I'm guessing that the tests on the NX-1974 were nothing more than minor re-certification tests following some sort of minor refit or upgrade. After all, if the four-nacelle warp drive method needed some tweaking, it would make sense that it would have to be refined a few years after the launch...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dukhat,

Also, a Constellation was shown as part of Picard's fleet in Redemption Pt. II. And that WASN'T reused footage!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although not canon, although it couldn't come from a more informed source, Rick Sternbach's article about the Constellation Class in ST:Mag Jan/03 indicated the USS Constellation launched June 15, 2284. Just to put a date on things.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Dukhat,

Also, a Constellation was shown as part of Picard's fleet in Redemption Pt. II. And that WASN'T reused footage!

No, that was the producer's throwing together every available model that they had in an attempt to create the impression of a "big fleet" (by TNG standards, anyway).

And considering that Picard's fleet was created at the last minute, the Constellation there could have been a ship pulled out of mothballs.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And since that particular ship in the fleet has been shown to be the Hathaway (the registry was the same), that could prove PsyLiam's point as well.

I'm surprised they didn't use the Reliant, Grissom, or Excelsior model in that shot. But, obviously by this point they wanted to make use of the newest TNG-created ships instead of the old movie models.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless that Constellation was being stored convieniently close to the RNZ, I don't think it was mothballed ship. [Smile]
But of course, there's the surplus yard from the very same episode [Roll Eyes]

And I believe that Enterprise-A was put in the museum. It's the best fate for any starship (besides "turning death into a fighting chance to live." [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kazeite,

I, uh, don't think there's a surplus yard in either episode of "Redemption." I think you might be thinking of "Unification."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why wouldnt the Constellation class still be in service though?
It's more recent than many, and Picard's was in use during the Ambassador's heyday.

Those ships are probably part of "home fleets" within the Federation that patrol but dont do much exploring anymore.
I'd imagine the same holds true with the MIranda

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

And if that ship was the Hathaway, then Starfleet had to invest some time and money in the ship. Remember, when we saw it in "Peak Performance" the warp drive wasn't even working. For the ship to function in Picard's blockade, it must have undergone at least a minimal refit ... on the other hand, considering "Redemption" is post-BoBW, Starfleet may have recomissioned older starships to help plug the losses incurred at Wolf 359.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't we see an Excelsior class ship as part of the "fleet flying away" shot in Redemption II.

quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
And I believe that Enterprise-A was put in the museum. It's the best fate for any starship (besides "turning death into a fighting chance to live." [Big Grin] )

No, seriously, stop it. Don't make me mention "Relics" again.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Oh, please do Liam, it's so ... sexy when you do. Mrowr.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Pft. You are just attracted to my sexy roguish hair.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps