Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Polaris (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: USS Polaris
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One question: is it possible that Enterprise A was decomissioned, and then recomissioned under different name? (like, say... Yorktown? [Wink] )

This way age of the ship doesn't matter anymore since it still remains in service, although under different name and under care of another crew.

And I don't think that Polaris is Connie refit. For one, I'm not sure that rebuilding it and relocating several key components its a viable option. Plus, if you intend to use older class components, its easier to just refit it, since you'll end with ship utilizing old components anyway.

And I believe that it was Connie secondary hull at Wolf359, because there are no visible new additions to the hull.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
One question: is it possible that Enterprise A was decomissioned, and then recomissioned under different name? (like, say... Yorktown? [Wink] )

Actually, I quite like that idea. But I'm sure someone will find a reason to declare it silly.

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

A Miranda (by STVI) could indeed be built in a year: the Fed a HUGE rescouses at it's disposal and the Miranda design was a long proven one with likely dozens (if not hundreds) of ships having already been built.

Well, I'm sold on your awesomely complete proof.

quote:
An Excelsior would really have taken a couple of years to build but using the examples of the Galaxy or Sovvie is silly: the complexity is geometrically greater and the ships are ten times larger with far larger crews.

And the Federation, presumably, had much more sophisticated systems available to aid design and construction, not to mention many more resources. I can easily see them taking the same amount of time to build, especially since the Excelsior was state-of-the-art.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the Enterprise could have been renamed and recommed, the question is why. Unless the E-B was already named and near completion, the E-A could have just stayed in service. It's the same physical ship. It would have been just slapping a different name on. The reason why it was probably done to the E-A in the first place from the Yorktown was that Starfleet wanted to give Kirk and company a new ship with the name Enterprise asap. Yorktown was probably coming in for refit or decomm. A new Yorktown may have been near completion and could have received the name change, but it was probably simpler and faster to slap a new name on the older Yorktown.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Of course, Starfleet is a bit eratic with ship ages. Riker says in "All Good Things" that the Ent-D was going to be decomissioned before it even hit 30, and that was a ship designed to last 100 years. The only possibility would be if the ship was badly damaged, and that would support the notion that Starfleet prefers to decomission ships rather than repair them (for god knows what reason).

Sometimes, in modern navies, ships are decommissioned for extensive refits, which may be an explanation for this. Imagine how long fixing that third nacelle would take [Wink]
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unlike the apparent majority of people here, I actually had a couple of days of Christmas holiday from the forum... [Razz]

...But yes, I think the Polaris is a class unto its own, built specifically for some purpose that does not involve big deflector dishes or shuttlebays, and probably completed in an orderly manner by the very early 24th century. No other known Starfleet refitting has involved such major spaceframe changes - even in the rather absurd TMP refit, each component was merely replaced by a corresponding new one. Or do we also want to think of USS Yeager as an Intrepid refit, perhaps?

And yeah, using the Intrepid impulse grilles as deflectors sounds splendid! I wonder if the kitbashing involved carving out the torp tubes, though - either the Connie part or the Intrepid parts would have to be slimmed down at the bow to fit there.

And as for Scotty hitting that pipe, it would make perfect sense if the corridor was otherwise an old and utterly familiar one, but the pipe was an addition. It does protrude into the space in a very silly, afterthought'y manner. Scotty was probably thinking he'd be walking along a regular TOS-Connie or TMP-Connie corridor, neither of which would have this "new and improved" pipe. Be the ship a TOS-refit or a TMP-refit, it ain't dockyard-fresh, not with silly protruding pipes like that.

Regarding the retiring of entire ship classes, it happens all the time in the real world. Ships in perfect working order are scrapped because they are a bit too expensive to operate, or won't have a crew ever again because newer ships drain the pool, or don't meet current mission specifications and can't be cheaply refitted. I don't see the Soyuz (or, say, the Constitution, Constellation or Polaris) mass retirements as anomalies in need of explaining.

Timo Saloniemi

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
While the Enterprise could have been renamed and recommed, the question is why.

Imagine, you're the chief Starfleet Admiral, and suddenly you find out that captain Kirk and his whole bridge crew is going to retire! [Eek!]
For those admirals it must've appear almost unthinkable that Kirk would actually retire one day. [Smile]

So what are you going to do with the ship? As we know, Starfleet Command decided to build Enterprise-B. So, what is the point of keeping Enterprise-A in space, under different crew, if you are going to decomission her anyway two, three years later?

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
outside of filmed canon, this transition has been dealt with by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Steven's novel "The Ashes of Eden" (they wrote it under the pen name 'William Shatner')

After ST:6, the Commander-in-Chief stepped down and was replaced by Admiral Drake, an old rival of Kirk's, who decommissions the E-A and arranges for it to be destroyed in torpedo tests, but ultimately ends up stripping it for use by another government, the Chal (a common practice with obsolete naval equipment in the real world).. of course, the guy was just being a dick and took Kirk's ship as a pawn in a political game in order to piss Kirk off, Kirk gets appropriately pissed off, finds that Drake has been committing all sorts of crimes involved in the looting of the weakened Klingon states, and kills the asshole.

Then he gets ready to go skydiving as the E-B is being completed.. the intervening time keeps with Generations in that the whole affair takes only a few months at most after ST:6 and before ST:G, allowing them to take place in the same year.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's possibly the lamest Star Trek book premise I've ever read.
No wonder they penned it as William Shatner!
We all expect crap from him.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really see how the Enterprise-A could be recomissioned as another ship. I mean, that doesn't seem a fate fitting for the Federation flagship. Personally, I'm rather attached to the notion that the ship was decomissioned and stuck in the Fleet Museum.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that doesn't agree with "Relics".

Seriously, there's no way that Picard wouldn't have said that is was an Enterprise in the fleet museum if it was.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...Picard really would have mentioned it in the context of their conversation.
The Connie in the Museum is probably an original version that was never refit.
Possibly some ship that had always been a trainer and was retired to the museum alongside a Deadalus and the NX-02 or something...
Mabye we can get someone to CGI us anice "fleet museum" scene with a tourist shuttlecraft taking a tour...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Picard was standing on the bridge of the TOS Enterprise when he said that one of these was in the fleet museum. I'm sure he was talking about a TOS style Constitution class ship - not a refit.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who says they only had one Constitution?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirk had the refit version the last time Scotty seved on it with him and (in 'Relics') when Riker said he was from the Enterprise, Scotty said that he expected Kirk had hauled her out of mothballs to come rescue him. Scotty couldn't have been thinking of the Enterprise-B and knew it was Harriman's ship anyway, so the Enterprise-A must've retained her registry and just been in storage (perhaps awaiting a berth in the Fleet Museum?)

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Now there's an idea.
Mabye something to commerate the first Khitomer Accords?

Or that .003 percent pattern degredation affected Scotty's long term memory.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps