Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Star Trek fact files - Japan Edition (Part 4 - Argo Vehicle) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Star Trek fact files - Japan Edition (Part 4 - Argo Vehicle)
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Writing a film is only the start of the process, allot can happen in the acting, directing and editing of a film that can improve or ruin a good screenplay.

I've actually reconsidered my opinion of Nemesis of late, I've actually come to quite like it, plotholes and pointless, Prime Directive breaking buggy chase aside.

My only substancial complaint is the way the Romulans themseves were almost totally neglected and it would have been nice to sneek Spock into the script...but that's another matter.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well on the subject of "it would have been nice": perhaps using Sela, a Romulan who actually hated Picard and the Federation enough, if slightly embellished, to do what Shinzon did.

Like with Khan there would have been a backstory established prior to the movie that we had year to think about prior to the 'sequel' whereas with Shinzon we had about 5 minutes to think about before we saw him take his revenge.

Anyway, I'm not saying Sela would have been a better choice, or that I would have liked it any better or worse, but at least a more logical choice for a villian - unlike the insta-villan we were given.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Masaki for posting the Argo ground vehicle. I am more fond of the shuttle myself. It reminds me of the shuttle from ROTJ. If there was going to be a vehicle in Star Trek: Nemesis then it should have ran on anti-gravity and Starfleet should be advanced enough in their technology to use something greater than a ground vehicle with "wheels". That buggy is a throw-back to the 20th century. The shuttle looks more advanced than the buggy.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(and that it was perhaps worse that it was a violation of the Prime Directive than it just being conceived of),
How is having a wheeled vehicle a violation of the Prime Directive?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the fact that they came into contact with a pre-warp indiustrial civilization that was the violation. He's saying that the entire sequence, being just an excuse to have the "kewl" dune buggy chase, was poorly thought out.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Well on the subject of "it would have been nice": perhaps using Sela, a Romulan who actually hated Picard and the Federation enough, if slightly embellished, to do what Shinzon did.

I'd have made Sela in charge of the Romulan military (and explained that she helped in his rise to power by having the Remans refurbish a Dominion battleship into the Scimitar) and I'd have Tomalok in Dina Meyer's place as the Rommie that saves the Enterprise.

Sels would, of course, have sympathy for Shinzon's plight being a "evil twin" type of character herself.

And we could've seen her die on the bigscreen.

That and lose the dunebuggy scene and it'd be a great movie.

Nothing we shouldnt demand in the SE. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there some Remans in with that group chasing around the buggy? Assuming I'm correct, why would that group be a pre-warp civilization at all?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope...that's something else that really couldve been done better.
The primitave screwhead aliens looked too close to the Remans.

[ March 02, 2004, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there some Remans in with that group chasing around the buggy? Assuming I'm correct, why would that group be a pre-warp civilization at all?

Consider yourself corrected. (No offense. [Razz] )

And they specifically mentioned the status of the Kolarans in the film, or at least in the script:

quote:
INT. ENTERPRISE BRIDGE

Kolarus III is on the viewscreen, the ion storm raging beyond it.

GEORDI
I read six distinct positronic signatures, spread out over a few
kilometers on the surface.

PICARD
What do we know about the population?

DATA
Isolated pockets of humanoids. It appears to be a pre-warp
civilization at an early stage of industrial development.

GEORDI
Captain, I don't recommend transporting, that ion storm doesn't look
very neighborly. It could head this way without much warning .

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks also for the decent side-view of the Jeep cannon. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

You mean the highly ineffective Jeep cannon.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aneurysm:
Oh your a funny fucker aren't ya?

Just for your edification, that should be:

"Oh, you're a funny fucker, aren't ya?"

Glad I could help. [Big Grin]

Marian

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's just stupid. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mind you, B-4 was already fragmented on the surface before the Enterprise got there. The Kolaran culture was probably already contaminated by it.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Mind you, Picard and company did not know this when they decided to "take the Argo for a spin." It sounded more like he was doing it for the sake of his own indulgence with little thought for procedure. Not exactly the responsible captain I remember from TNG.

Besides, no one said it was impossible to rationalize, just that it was poorly written.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps