Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » PLEA FOR HELP! Ambassador sketches. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: PLEA FOR HELP! Ambassador sketches.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooo-Kay....I needs the side-view ship size comparison chart that Andy Probert made for TNG.

We had it posted here a long while back but with re-installing my PC and the "search" feature not magically retaining link info, I'm at a loss.

I have all the required parts to build a model (with creative liberties, to be sure) of the Probert-Amby but I need that side view.

Little help, guys? [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh.
I found it and the link still works and everything.

Crazy.
...and cool.

What I was talking abouut: http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/524/Probert_SizeChart.jpg

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you're making the Probert Amabassador Class instead of the Enterprise-C version?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah: there's almost none of the parts used in the final Ambassador studio model in Probert's concept art: just the nacelles are useable and those will have to be lengthened.

I'm a bit concerned about the length of the saucer though: it seems much smaller than the Ambassador we know: kinda between that and the Excelsior's with the longer nacelles and secondary hull allowing the ship to be about the same ovral length as what we'e used to seeing.

Fun challenge though.

Think I should go with a more Galaxy bridge or stick with the round version on the Amby studio model?

I'm onsidering something between the galaxy nad NX Excelsior's teardrop shape.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like this chart. To think - at one time these were all the 'canon' ship designs on Trek! Oh not including the TOS Romulan and TOS Klingon ships.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Tholian ship. And the Federation ship that was like it.

And Khan's ship. And the unmanned frieghter that was like it.

And the pen-shaped ship that stole Spock's brain. And the... no, wait, they didn't reuse that one.

Oh, and Clint Howard's Big Ball o' Lights.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

And the glowy torpedo effect that represented the Orion Pirate ship.

None of the TOS ships are worth using on the chart frankly....TNG should have never used any of those older movie-era ships after first season either anyway.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And the glowy torpedo effect that represented the Orion Pirate ship."

Well, if we go that far, we've got that blobby 'V'-shaped thing that was a Klingon ship.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Harry Mudd's class J freighter.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason: "it seems much smaller than the Ambassador we know"

To be fair, the Ambassador always had a saucer section unproportionally large compared to its engineering section, IMO.

Conversely, is this a rendition of the "Probert"-Amby?

-

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFFIRMATIVE

(That's the painting Probert did for the TNG pilot, if you didn't know. Except you have cut off the planet beneath the ship, punk.)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In that painting, it looks like the nacelles jut forward in front of the saucer section. What's up with that?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was that painting actually ever seen on screen?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I believe it was intended to be a matte painting to indicate the USS Horatio in orbit of Dytallix-B from "Conspiracy", but they only used a dialogue reference to it instead.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The painting really does'nt match the side-view very well:
....unless the saucer is an elipse like the Galaxy (not something I want to do) and the nacelle pylons are almost an exact vertical from the secondary hull (also not very palatable).
The Excelsior-ish impulse drive is not on the painting either.

I'll probably just use the painting as refrence on the ship's deflector and use the side-view for all other refrence.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps