Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SS Raven MSD? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SS Raven MSD?
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You wanna spend the money? I gave up after season 2, and then TOS started coming out....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Apparently. But they also had Borg. Which was a new thought for us too.

Well, the Borg were a myth not taken seriously by any real scientist and therefore wasn�t really acknowledged by the Federation.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A fairly plausable way to explain really stupid writers, Wes.

Almost.

okay, not really at all.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, who cares. What's done is done.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye there's some creative way to nullify that silly notion of the Federation having known about the Borg for years and years and done nothing about it...

Like saying they made First contact with the Bynars and assumed all those stories were about them.

Heck, one could even wtite a plausable account of the Borg crashing onto Bynar (hundreds of years back) and influenceing their culuture somehow...

Of course, I'd make the Bynars into traitors to the Federation: they'd want to be fully assimilated.

Mabye it's time to write an anthology or chronolgy series that just explains all the contradictions in Trek's timeline.
They started that notion in The Lost Era run of books (though only one of those was truly exceptional and one was just....unreadable).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't even need to be that creative. Simply put, the main problem people have with the version of Borg-Starfleet history that developed through the VOY storylines, is that it's contradicted by the reactions of Picard etc. when they met the Borg in "Q Who?"

The way I see it, it's a big galaxy. There are all sorts of nameless no-nos out there. The Krowtownan Guard seemed a nasty bunch, they nearly did for the Ransom Gang, but Janeway & co never met them once or heard any rumours of them. So unless you assume that starship captains are fully briefed on anything that might ever threaten the safety of the Federation, like the Omega Molecule, then maybe they're not told everything and some things remain classified.

After all, what is our canon knowledge of previous Starfleet interaction with the Borg? There were the El-Aurian refugees, who might have told their rescuers something of the threat they were fleeing. This might have been classified, but it would still only be information of a threat a long way away. Then when the Hansens (do we know how they found out about the Borg? Do we even know how they got as far as they did?) decided to go investigate, they were able to get Sterfleet assistance. The crew of the E-D mightn't necessarily know about any of this, and querying the main computer might reveal that either none of this info had been uploaded to it because of secrecy, or maybe a Google search produced only hits about Swedish tennis-players. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I can accept PIcard's initial reactions to the Borg well enough 9and you're right about dozens of nameless nastiness out there waiting) but for starfleet to know that SOMEONE was "scooping up" starbases from both sides of the NZ and not put anything together is a big stretch: if they really had computer files on all these incidents and on the Hanson Family's research.

You'd imagine Picard and Data would've beeen brought up to speed after BOBW on previous Starfleet/Borg encounters but untill Picard's line about "falling back" there's almost nothing to suggest ongoing skirmishes (aside rom Lore's band of losers nad "Hughs" scoutship crash).

I'd love to see someone bring back the ORIGINAL Borg (circa Q-Pid/BOBW)where they have a hive mind, no petty "queen" to make bad (and emotional!) judgments and occasionally grow their children in incubators as needed.

In the DS9 books they've gone into some detail about the Dominion's preparations for dealing with an eventual Borg incursion (even a brief skirmish)...makes sense really.
I'd be suprised if most of the Major Powers did not have some sort of plan for invasion (romulans in particular after losing all those outposts).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that the "original" Borg never existed. They were just Picard and friends' misconception, a confused reaction to a first contact with somebody who's truly alien for a change. I'm perfectly happy with the VOY interpretation of the species, and with the idea that the Borg were X-files stuff until the lid popped off in "Q Who?".

Regarding the Raven, I've already forgotten whether we glimpsed a dedication plaque or other graphic to verify this "USS Raven" thing, or whether it was just dialogue. Do we have a commissioning date? Clearly, we lack a class name...

Timo Saloniemi

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all I got, I do belive.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, see the first page of this thread.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I'd love to see someone bring back the ORIGINAL Borg (circa Q-Pid/BOBW)where they have a hive mind, no petty "queen" to make bad (and emotional!) judgments and occasionally grow their children in incubators as needed.

The problem with that is that you have no story. A super-powerful alien race that is only represented by their ship which is powerful enough to blow you to dust? They did that in QWho, so what's the point of doing it again?

The Queen appeared because, dramatically, the audience needed an individual (ironically) to represent the race. Q party did that in QWho, and Picard/Locutus did it in BOBW. Take them out, and all you have is a big battle with shooting and stuff.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, no, we couldn't have that, the fanboys would be outraged. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you could have a real hive mind without some imposed outside control like the queen's anyway. Assimilate too many individuals and their collective control would overrule the originals who want to be assimilated, and would effectively end the collective.

B.J.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember the episodes correctly, the way the Raven got to the Delta quadrant was it got sucked into a transwarp conduit while it was following a Borg cube.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is correct.

At least they found a way to explain how a Federation starship made it all the way to the DQ. "Raven" kind of left us guessing on how the ship managed to get to that planet.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps