Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Did Q save the Federation? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Did Q save the Federation?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mabye they "scoop" up chunks o' planets to fabricate new Cubes (I cant imagine the borg have traditional shipyards).

The Cube from the "J-System" may have held unique technology that was recently assimilated- that would explain it's appearance and it's subspace field (that the later cubes seem to lack).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't it also bigger than the Voyager cubes?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think even the BoBW cube was smaller, for some reason...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It just looked larger: the Tactical Cube, for example, is so lacking in detail that it seems like a small child's block.

Or mabye the Borg just diminished so much as a threat as Voyager wore on that the cubes seem insignifigant. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not like Star Trek is all that consistant with ship scale [Wink]
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the Klingon Bird-of-Prey has like 5 different sizes.
missmanners
Member # 1523

- posted      Profile for missmanners     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.merzo.net/10mpp.htm

I used to spend a long time on this page trying to figure it all out.

[Smile]
mm

--------------------
To live is to war with trolls.~ Henrik Ibsen

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

There are some debatable ship sizes there, though I agree with his KBOP.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

missmanners
Member # 1523

- posted      Profile for missmanners     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just like to click and drag them around.....is that really nerdy?

[Smile]
mm

--------------------
To live is to war with trolls.~ Henrik Ibsen

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only if you take the TOS Enterprise and fly it toward the planet killer while making the "duh duh" music sound with your voice.

Oh, wait...

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Borg were handled pretty badly after the next generation. The Best of Both Worlds is the finest 90 minutes if television I have ever seen and the reason I fell in love with the franchise. It (and the Borg) followed the x-files maxim that sometimes what you don't see is more scary than what you do.
Having a more limited budget and efects technology than First Contact and Voyager, they depended on the old fashioned technique of great writing. The Scene with Picard pacing up and down, asking worf to set course to intercept, then worf saying "they have already changed cource to intercept us" all the time taking the power to influence events out of the Federations hands.
The site of Hanson's bridge shaking before being cut off, and a shake of the head from data was far more effective than any Borg battle scene. Likewise pieces of dialogue like "Its a shot in the dark, but for now its the best we can do."
"maybe in concert with the photon torpedoes we can slow them down" "perhaps this is the end of our civilisation?" "I've heard people talkingin ten forward, they expect to be dead this time tomorrow"
The Borg and their threat were introduced with scalpel like efficiency by the next gen writers, in stark contrast to Voyager's "fifteen cube's heading this way all looking very big and tough"
Or the redesigned Borg with wires hanging from rotting skin, and their resident evil style zombie walks and flashing laser lights...
The next gen was high art...

--------------------
The disappearance of Donald Love

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

You've aparantly missed abot half of TNG.

The Child, Metamorphasis and all of first season are about as far from "high art" as concievable.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
Only if you take the TOS Enterprise and fly it toward the planet killer while making the "duh duh" music sound with your voice.

Oh, wait...

hmmm... would the SDF-1 transformed... gets stuck?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
You've aparantly missed abot half of TNG.

The Child, Metamorphasis and all of first season are about as far from "high art" as concievable.

Don't forget "Shades of Grey." Whoever thought a clip show would be a good episode needs to be shot.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(In that case "cheap" trumped "good" in the production calculus by, like, a lot.)
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps