Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Did Q save the Federation? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Did Q save the Federation?
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They sit around the armoury not getting used
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They make excellent cover for shoot-outs in the armory.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In their defense, they'd been on ice for a century and the ship they were in was cobbled together from some alien frieghter.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never caught a great deal of Enterprise so I'm willing to be educated...
I don't wanna go on a voyager rampage here but many of the problems with the Star Trek franchise as a whole I think stem from the fact that the top brass look down on us. They think they can put minimum production effort into a project because they will always have a fan base that will return again and again no matter how bad the product is.
Why was TNG so well written and produced in an age when sci fi competition on TV was virtually nil? Because there were people around who took pride in what they were churning out.
Enterprise was put out before any lessons from Voyager were learned for the simple reason that no one cared what those lessons were. "F*ck it, They'll keep coming back for more, they're hard core fans!"

--------------------
The disappearance of Donald Love

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are plenty of stinker TNG episodes, especially in the early seasons. If the entire franchise had been judged by those episodes, TNG may not have made it 7 years.

As it stands, those episodes were accepted because there had been no new Trek on television in roughly 20 years. Starving people take anything.

Or, like any child, you crawl before you walk. TNG and the entire franchise grew over time. ENT episodes may be just as good at TNG episodes, but they should show the maturity the franchise has developed.

Which brings us back to Thrawn's point about TPTB just shoveling out whatever. The time for that has past.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a point?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Oh you can run all the way to the Niybarite alliance, but it really doesn't matter, a foul mouthed little girl who chats sarcastic nonesense...thats what you are...and thats what you'll always be..." sisco-worf with minor mods.

Wasn't talking about the individual episodes because as i was man enough to admit i haven't seen many, and unlike some i won't comment on things just for the sake of it. But the idea of producing a new show at all when interest was on the decline seemed obsurd, a last dash to squeeze money from a loyal fan-base.
The few episodes i did see also seemed quite gimmick-driven, intended to appeal directly to that fan base rather than blaze a new trail of its own and win new fans. "wow, an Orion animal woman just like in the Cage" Likewise the appearance of Jolene Balok on the cover of various publications with titles like "the final frontier just got sexier" gave me cause for concern.
I began to fear for the franchise as a whole just before the second series of Voyager aired on British TV, i used to subscribe to the official UK star trek mag, and it printed what a mounted to a full-page apology from Jeri Taylor. It was a photo of her sitting in the captains chair with a full page verbatum quote saying things like, "our heroes are going to stop complaining about getting home and will instead embrace this wonderous new challenge the way starfleet officers should" "please stick with us as next season promises so much more"
Oh dear, I thought...
DS9 was kept alive by the sterling work of Ira Stephan Behr whose run-ins with Berman are well documented, no doubt if he'd gone, it too would have been dumbed down to saturday morning cartoon material.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Grand Admiral Thrawn:
Likewise the appearance of Jolene Balok on the cover of various publications with titles like "the final frontier just got sexier" gave me cause for concern.

So the appearance of Tricia Helfer on the cover of the latest issue of a magazine with similar titles is giving you cause for concern about the new Battlestar Galactica?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I'll bet your mommy thinks it's pretty cute when you quote script dialogue in daily conversation. I think it's pretty moronic.

You weren't whining about Enterprise, you were whining about Voyager and the franchise. And there was no point to what you're saying that hasn't been made a billion zillion times before. Yes... Voyager was mostly dreck. Yes... the stories could have been better. Yes, most people agree that more thought should've gone into various aspects of recent franchise productions. Yes........

The appearance of actresses like Jolene Balok (or Blalock as she's known in many areas) on Sci-Fi magazines has nothing to do with the Star Trek franchise in most cases. It has to do with GeekZines trying to sell their magazines and the actress making a quick buck by posing for photos, which incidentaly was her job before she started acting.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She's actually a puppet controlled by Clint Howard!
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to be drawn into a slanging match on a message board" Colonel Nathan R Jessop, commanding officer marine ground forces guantanamo bay, Cuba. (My mum thinks its hillarious)

I don't doubt similar issues have been raised, however the current Star Trek franchise being the real world equivalant of a post-war cardassia, whats the harm in raising further points, or shall I instead post a question asking for screenshots of an original series klingon spacecraft that resembled a yellow smudge?
If you don't wanna discuss it my son feel free not to!

So it wasn't Paramount policy to sex-up Star Trek? Anyone remember a Berman quote where he was being asked about possable future film plots (even though Nemesis had just burned) where he said something along the lines of..."Maybe a mixed cast from the various shows is something we might look at in the future, I don't think Ben Sisko would work in a feature (why not?) but I can't imagine anyone wouldn't want to see Jeri Ryan on the big screen"
Erm, is that because she's an awesomely gifted actress or because the character is both original and much loved? The franchise is indeed in safe hands with such a genius at the helm...

--------------------

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What show doesn't use sex appeal?

Watch the camera shots when they pan over actors and actresses. The cameras linger on female characters. They also tend to do a pass over the entire female body. Case in point: Can't remember which TNG episode it is but Geordi, Troi and either Worf or Data are climbing up a Jefferies tube. The scene shows Geordi from head to waist, the next make from head to waist and Troi from head to TOE.

I've noticed the same treatment on Law and Order.

Some shows may not always be as blatant about their use of sex, but it seems they all do.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone complains about overdoing sex appeal on Voyager and Enterprise but they seem to forget that sexy women was what TOS was all about. [Razz]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A "slanging match"?

"I'll see your 'what up, dawg?' and raise you a 'yo, biotches!'."

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Ultimate slang database!
2. Herb's right, Star Trek without sexy women is like Earth without an oxygen atmosphere-dead.
3.I don't know about sexy women in Law&Order, but I do like a woman who can convict a suspect of a double homicide!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps