Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Did Q save the Federation? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Did Q save the Federation?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AGT was'nt really a two-parter though: when watched that way, it's pretty bad.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Q carried some of the one-hour eps he was in, but there's only so much dramatic mileage you can get out of an omnipotent being. Q-Who was good. Q-pid was ok for a comedy episode, but fairly suckable other than that. Tapestry was probably one of the better Q episodes, although in the end, we're not even really sure it was a Q episode. The ep where he becomes mortal also rocked.

I actually rather enjoyed the one DS9 episode he was in with Vash. Nice tie-in to TNG too. I guess the writers decided Q and Sisko didn't make very watchable adversaries, though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta love the lines

Q: "You hit me! Picard NEVER hit me?"

Sisko: "I'm NOT Picard."

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very glad Q was left out of DS9 after his only appearance.

Even moreso than the Borg, the concept of Q was whittled down into non-threatening comedy relief on Voyager.

I can honestly say that after watching about half of the abyssimal "Q and the Grey", I turned it off and made point of missing any further episodes with Q.
(I'd already missed a couple at that point).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"the concept of Q was whittled down into non-threatening comedy relief on Voyager."

Concur. He never did anything remotely serious or important after Deathwish. The whole idea of the Continuum being in trouble and needing Voyager's help to put it write was kinda silly. Q wanting to shag Kathy was kind of funny... in the same vein as him palling around with Picard in True Q (which was also a decent episode).

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Q lends himself to further stories more than the Borg, though. Or at least on first pass. I mean, the problem with the Borg is that they are by definition unstoppable, which makes them cool, but for the show to continue the Borg have to be stopped. (Of course, one could always write a story that didn't involve the Borg trying to destroy Our Heroes, thus allowing for various other plot resolutions, and if you think about it that's sort of what "Scorpion" did, and is one of the things that makes the episode OK in my mind. ((Plus, as much as I can look back and realize that it was just another step down the road of Borg toothlessness, that opening scene worked exactly as it was meant to on this young fan.)) I also liked when that cube unceremoniously yanked Voyager out of orbit with a tractor beam.) Anyway, Q, on the other hand, in his sort of Loki/Coyote role, need not present himself as an adversary to be defeated.

(And I sure wish we would have gotten a Q-related movie out of TNG, though I am admittedly at a loss as to what the plot might be.)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
I was just disappointed that there was no attempt to protect the timeline. All the souls that the snake people consumed just up and disappeared with no consequences, and one of them could have been Sulu's ancestor.

But the episode was operating on the principle of predestination...Data addressed that in the opening when they found his head. Everything that happened had *always* happened that way.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Not that time-travel had ever worked on that premise in Trek before...

Voyager would have worked just fine -Borgwise- if Voyager was always overwhelmed and fleeing from Borg assimilation.

It would have been nice to see voyager lose some crewmembers along the way...
Instead, the tiny Intrepid class ship managed- on a weekly basis- to destroy borg cubes and thwart the every two dimensionally evil) Queen at every turn.

Man, that Voyager played out it's seven season and Enterprise got cancelled is the real tragedy.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Not that time-travel had ever worked on that premise in Trek before...

Well yeah, but that kind of made it nice and fresh.

quote:
Voyager would have worked just fine -Borgwise- if Voyager was always overwhelmed and fleeing from Borg assimilation.
I think that might have gotten old and overly-drawn out. It would have gotten unbelievable that they would always escape somehow. Of course, that became a factor anyway...

quote:
Agreed.

quote:
Man, that Voyager played out it's seven season and Enterprise got cancelled is the real tragedy.
Amen to that. Fuckers. [Mad] [Frown]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Not that time-travel had ever worked on that premise in Trek before...Well yeah, but that kind of made it nice and fresh.

[quote]Voyager would have worked just fine -Borgwise- if Voyager was always overwhelmed and fleeing from Borg assimilation.

I think that might have gotten old and overly-drawn out. It would have gotten unbelievable that they would always escape somehow. Of course, that became a factor anyway...

quote:
Agreed.

quote:
Amen to that. Fuckers. [Mad] [Frown]

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

I don't know what was up with that weird, one-minute-delayed double post... [Confused]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
quote:
[quote]Voyager would have worked just fine -Borgwise- if Voyager was always overwhelmed and fleeing from Borg assimilation.
Consider though: they could have had a "season in hell" and they would have been pushed to break the Prime Directive here and there....untill they cleared Borg space.

Later, when they run into Captain Ransom, they would be confronted with a possible version of themselves...instead of the impossibly well maintained crew and ship Voyager (with endless torpedos, antimatter and shuttles!) was: instead of looking down their noses at the Equinox crew, there would have been some sympathy.

Not that we ever heard anything about the Equinox's crew again anyhow... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Hey man, I agree totally that there were many aspects of VGR that weren't well-thought-out or well-executed. No question.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

...yet, it did have a few shining moments.

I would'nt mind seeing it return to syndication here (or on Spike TV) to catch some of the episodes I missed.

Yes, I'm that starved for Trek in the TNG era.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey anybody remeber the wimpy Borg from "Regeneration" who couldn't withstand a couple of hits from a primitive 22nd century Art Asylum phase pistol and who's ship got totaled by a couple spatial torpedoes(what ever happened to those anyway).
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps