Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ 713 Bottles of Tech On the Wall! ["These Are the Voyages..." FINALE SPOILERS!] (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ 713 Bottles of Tech On the Wall! ["These Are the Voyages..." FINALE SPOILERS!]
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err...whoops.

Of course, there's nothing to say that it wasn't called the Pi. (yes folks, that's the sound of a large hole being made)

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Besides, the colatiton etc, works if you ignore the lower case letters when you pronoounce it (just like with any other acronym)."

I'm pretty sure Cartman knew that. What he was doing is called "being a git".

As for seeing things out of windows, La Forge looked at the Edo "god" through a lounge window, but I don't recall whether the audience actually got to see it, or not.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not when Geordi was offering one of his amazingly insightful, er, insights ("It's amazing. It's like nothing I've ever seen before. I am not being useful at all"), but when Picard bought up almost naked girl to look at the god-ship she was looking through a window, and we saw it too.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the expense of putting up a blue curtain instead of a black one was particularly crippling.

(Yes, yes, all that compositing is/was expensive and time consuming, I know.)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the courtroom drama episode where Data has a terrible beard and Riker pulls his arm off(The Measure of a Man) we see the Tango Sierra Station from the observation room windows, as well as seeing the Enterprise from the station windows.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In BoBW we see the nebula the Enterprise is hiding in through the windows at Ten-Forward
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in "The Child", we see first a planet, then a warp effect through the 10-Forward windows, supposedly moving in synch with the movements of the ship. (The entry to warp takes a lot of time compared with other episodes, though. Either the dialogue between Guinan and Wesley actually takes place simultaneously with the bridge dialogue calling for warp departure, or then the time from orders to depart orbit at warp to actual warping is always this long, and simply is cut for time in most episodes.)

Yeah, the windows in TNG really are supposed to be windows. Or at least they don't filter anything out, or display different viewpoints at different times, or do other viewscreeny things. Perhaps they have some sort of a magnifying and color-adjusting effect, though.

Timo Saloniemi

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they can also dim them
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall an interview with a writer (possibly Ron Moore) who mentioned that if the budget was tight in an episode, they'd slightly adjust the ship so that it would be at impulse rather than warp, to save them having to bluescreen the effect in.

Of course, this is balanced by those episodes where they felt the need to put the warp reflection in the observation lounge table. Show offs.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I've been corrected. It's been a while. It was still cool to see the asteroids floating by outside the window, though.

B.J.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Thinking about it, didn't we see asteroids outside the window in, er, "The Pegasus"?

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on the viewscreen, definitely. I don't know about out the windows though.

Speaking of seeing rock, here's what's always bugged me about the asteroid in The Pegasus... When they cloak/phase their way out of the asteroid, they do such a good job of showing the inside of the rock on the viewscreen... but the bridge is still visable... Shouldn't the rock be going through every compartment of the ship as well? How cool would it have been to see the rock show up on the viewscreen, and a moment later see it rush through the front wall of the bridge. They could've easily cut to a shot of the ship coming out of the asteroid right away to save the tedium of a dark screen for 30 seconds...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did see asteroids through the Observation Lounge windows in "The Pegasus", although they didn't look as cool as those in TATV, of course.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss the Enterprise-D...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps