Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Half-Saucer (aka Intrepid) orthos (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Half-Saucer (aka Intrepid) orthos
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, shiny...
http://www.fourmadmen.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10010

Rob Bonchune posted and discussed them here:
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=112346

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, this is fricking sweet. The erstwhiile NV class! About time - and I guess we know now that Production never really assigned a name to it.

Now, "Does this thing have aft torpedoes?" [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, where's the launch bay?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*drool*... Now I want the flying wing...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweeeeet... [Big Grin]

Okay, I've now calculated (based on the super-high-resolution images) the "official" dimensions of the Intrepid:

Based on the assumption (confirmed by Rob Bonchune in the second linked thread) that they used the same basic saucer from the NX-01 to work with the Intrepid, that means that it also has a width of 136 meters, the same as the NX class.

Working from that, I've calculated a length of 176.8 meters, and a height of 34.9 meters.

And I agree with Aban -- I want the flying wing now! [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone in that thread also asked him what the production staff referred to this ship as. I will be interested to see an answer to that if one is forthcoming.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems that the "chopping" process did away with all the phase cannon gunports. Since we get to see two torpedo tubes, we can safely assume the ship has exactly two - but the number of other types of emplacement is up in the air...

No large NX-style shuttle hangar on this baby, it seems. There are those four dark, squarish doors on the aft rim of the hull, though, probably serving the purpose. The aft view also reveals a kinship to Steamrunner: the impulse engines fry parts of the ship when activated!

I like the general chubbiness, and the extra piping on the nacelles. Despite the component reuse, this baby looks old enough to be the Enterprise's grandmother...

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

The flat part on the top of the saucer rigt under the bridge seems to be more narrow than on the NX. There are still docking ports on the rim of the saucer, though it would appear that you'd be exiting your ship and walking right into the impulse engine assembly. There must be some kind of very narrow corridor. Bad for off-loading supplies though. It would've made more sense to put the docking port farther forward, even though it would've been asymetrical.

No cargo elevators on the saucer top, and it looks like they lost a couple of portholes.

No running lights on the saucer edge.

If the saucers are roughly the same size, the NV's deflector is slightly bigger and it's accompanying machinery is less detailed, or at least hidden behind the dish.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most of us are assuming that the NV-class will be remembered as the real predecessor to the NX, if only by virtue of its relative similarity in shape. Subsequent fan re-creations of this design will doubtless put more detail in it than the original intentions, such as cannon ports, a more efficient impulse array, etc. NV-refit, anyone?

Still, odds are that if what we think is true with the NX being discarded for more capable designs in the Federation starfleet, we won't be seeing more of this design unless they decide to revisit the Romulan War once and for all...

Mark

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
No large NX-style shuttle hangar on this baby, it seems. There are those four dark, squarish doors on the aft rim of the hull, though, probably serving the purpose.

Those same doors are on the NX-01 model too (warning: supersized picture inside!). I think they have more or less been confirmed as being cargo hatches.

It almost looks like there's a 'modern' shuttle hangar in the back...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I love the amount of detail the NX-01 model has on it. It looks like there are two large sections on the aft part of the saucer marked off with that black and yellow warning indicator. It's as though that whole area can lift off or open up or something.

There's obviously far less detail on the NV, but you're right, it does almost look like a shuttle bay on that aft part. It also appears that all the cargo doors lead to bay 1 [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're right. Since all those doors and markings are part of the cargo handling, it seems like they can 'take the lid' off the cargo area. Pretty handy for an era with less-than-perfect transporters.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yep, those marked off hull areas would be right over the area that the cargo doors lead to. Makes sense. If the NV model were more detailed, we might see similar markings.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

That aft feature on the NV is *so* a hatch of some kind. The texturing may have inadvertently disguised it, but I'd bet that it was meant to be a shuttle bay, or a core ejector, or something similar.

I'd really hate to be whoever has the quarters on C-Deck, whose windows point STRAIGHT UP into the bussard collector. Unless you WANT your quarters looking permenantly like a lava lamp...

Mark

[ May 11, 2005, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

"That red light... it's burning my brain!!"

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps