Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Half-Saucer (aka Intrepid) orthos (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Half-Saucer (aka Intrepid) orthos
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Iceland! Yay!

And next up, of course we're asking for that Cutter / Sarajevo design. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There aren't any orthos of the Delta... yet.

He's said that next up would be the Constitution class Defiant.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crap.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Miscellaneous ship info:
4. The "Sarajevo" type ship had no official class or registry, although a sketch of the ship by John Eaves is labeled "NC-27." NC-class, anyone? Also, in Eaves' sketch, the ship is labeled "Starfleet Elite Observation vessel," and was more detailed, including red bussards in front of the rear blue glowing thingies (thereby making it a warp vessel instead of a sublight ship). Unfortunately the bussards don't show up in the finished product.

Okay. I'd like to re-phrase that and call it the NC class surveyor, with NC-01 being the Elite and NC-27 being Sarajevo. So the Surveyor is really a Starfleet Elite 'observation vessel' [Razz] .

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye it's a spy-ship to use on the Vulcans (though this seems unlikely), or it has a subspace array built into it that allows for long-distance scanning.

Or mabye Eaves was just freebasing that day.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably ELINT, not elite. And I can buy NC class. No one had to say that the N? lineage is chronologically alphabetical.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "No Class" class of ships?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The letters might also refer to ship type. The Enterprise and her classmates might be the first of the NX type, but there could have been multiple classes of NC type vessels prior to this most recent one. Say, Sapporo class (NC-01-05), Innsbruck class (NC-06-12), Lake Placid class (NC-13-19) etc. etc.

Going by that philosophy, the "NO Class" actually sounds like my vote for the Sarajevo! "O" for "Observation" and all. Eaves just drew the latter letter a bit carelessly... In that case, the Intrepid would probably be from the NC class (Navy Cruiser), the delta ships from NF (Navy Frigate), etc. In case of more than one cruiser design in Starfleet history, the pennant numbers would add another recognition feature (NC-09 class, much like the USN speaks of SSN-688 class or FFG-7 class).

Alas, such a system is vulnerable to further datapoints...

Timo Saloniemi

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Navy is not quite like that for you see SS and SSN are not just different sub designs, but are of different sub types. SS is the standard diesel-powered sub of various classes and designs while SSN is a nuclear-powered sub of various classes and designs. It's the same will all the other types of ships the USN has.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I like the sound of a "NO Class".
They probably have duct tape holding the warpcore together and peanut shells on the floor....
Kid Rock could play their captain.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, the Navy is not quite like that for you see SS and SSN are not just different sub designs, but are of different sub types. SS is the standard diesel-powered sub of various classes and designs while SSN is a nuclear-powered sub of various classes and designs. It's the same will all the other types of ships the USN has.
That's exactly what I meant. The Sarajevo would be NO-something because she's of Observation Ship type, but she'd belong to the Athens class of Observation Ships, also known as the NO-22 class and featuring the vessels NO-22 through NO-31.

Timo Saloniemi

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the "Warp Delta" should be the Neptune Class, personally. Whatdoes it resemble in dorsal view if not the business end of a trident? The "Half-saucer" Not so much...

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a quickie. Whats the furthest away from earth that the half saucer has been seen?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ceti Alpha V, in Twilight.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which, confusingly enough, is far enough out even a century later that Kirk felt he could safely leave Khan and his flunkies to run around on it.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps