Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO:Mayflower and Discovery (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: SWDAO:Mayflower and Discovery
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much to say about these two. It pretty much comes down to what you consider to be believable, and that's usually different for each person.
USS Discovery-
supposedly mentioned in the Squire of Gothos.
Not mentioned in Encyclopedia(first or second versions) and main arguments come to the use of the word Discovery. Kirk says "Notify the 'Discovery' over subspace". Some have taken this to be notify our discovery, in which case it is not a ship. The former however does seem to denote that the ship Discovery does exist and that Kirk wants to contact it. On the other hand, chances are that Shatner simply misspoke. If we go by on-screen info, there is definately a ship called Discovery, but not necessarily Starfleet.

USS Mayflower-
Much more straight forward. This ship name can be seen in the 2nd encyclopedia on some cargo logos.
Some take the fact that it was in an official book to to say that it does in fact "exist" in the ST official universe. Others consider it only to be clip art that was thrown in as filler. There is no evidence to say that the Mayflower's insignia appeared on DS9, but of course, there is not evidence against the fact either.

------------------
"This should provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon"
-Fat Sarcastic Comic Book Guy

[This message was edited by USS Vanguard on June 11, 1999.]

[This message was edited by USS Vanguard on June 14, 1999.]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression that he said "inform the Discovery/discovery". However, either way, it's a transitive verb. Discovery has to the object. You cannot inform a discovery; you can only inform someone of a discovery.

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The line was "Notify the discovery over subspace."

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
notify: to give notice of : report the occurance of : to give notice to.

"Give [Starfleet Command] notice of the discovery over subspace."

"Report the occurance [to Starfleet Command] of the discovery over subspace."

"Give notice [of the lone planet] to the Discovery over subspace."

------------------
"Minsk."

Cmdr Worf

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vanguard: Could you alter your text, using the correct dialog? Thanks.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Text has been altered.

------------------
"This should provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon"
-Fat Sarcastic Comic Book Guy

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by USS Vanguard:
There is no evidence to say that the Mayflower's insignia appeared on DS9, but of course, there is not evidence against the fact either.

The Mayflower-label appeared in "Family Business".

http://home.arcor.de/spike730/mayflower.jpg

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Necromancer!
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I thought it wasn't worth a new topic. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so there's no Discovery but there is a uss mayflower.

change the title to SWAO and lock it.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good God! I wondered what an SWDAO thread was doing there. . . Now we get all the people saying "What's SWDAO?" and then they go to the link, then they start nitpicking. . . Just remember the bloody page hasn't been updated since about 1999. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember SWDAO (the website, not the Flare threads)...

At least it's cool to see that something like this can actually be confirmed! [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the:

The is opposed to the indefinite article a or an, and is used specifically when reference is made to a particular person, thing, or group. The New International Webster's College Dictionary of the English Language, 2002.

So, there is a Discovery. [Razz]

And, there is the space shuttle Discovery .

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outside of grammar usage, the word in the 'cc' was italicized as DISCOVERY, indicating the name of something/a ship. Also, being as 'cc' is all caps it's impossible to tell if the 'd' was also capitalized as in proper name form. Now whether or not SciFi Channel gets its' 'cc' from the script or not is another question, it is still curious that it is not mentioned in any other Trek references, if the Discovery does exist.

It does seem odd that Kirk would randomly refer to a ship in a 'one-liner' and not make any other reference to it. My take on the 'Discovery Theory', is that there is a Discovery, or so it was intended originally, however, all references otherwise didn't make the episode cut.

My theory, as follows:
The Enterprise was on its way to deliver supplies to Beta VI, it is conceivable that in an original version of the script the Enterprise received those supplies from another ship, such as the Discovery. The Discovery could have made the transfer to them in the original script but was cut in a rewrite (as far as the transfer, but not as far as the 'contact the Discovery' part).

We've seen before that they have taken on transfers from the Potemkin (twice), so its not something out of the norm in that respect. Also, though not from the same series, there is evidence of other ships that were intended for used in scripts but ultimately cut in the end as well...such as the Garuda.

In the end, it 'tis something to at least consider, as I have not seen any other theories on this taken in such a manner.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scraping the very bottom of the barrell for new starships in light of no more Trek movies being made.
All hope is truly lost.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps