Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO:Mayflower and Discovery (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: SWDAO:Mayflower and Discovery
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Not only is the assumption of a USS Discovery grasping at straws but it also means that Kirk put that entire crew in mortal danger by not warning them about Trelane!
I sure didint hear him say "notify the Discovery not to go get themselves killed by this uber-powerful alien entity".
On the other hand, it would'nt be the first time Kirk left people for dead on some planet.

That was not even an issue, if we are going to split hairs. At that point all they were aware of was the planet...Trelane and his powers were not yet revealed.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if the "discovery" was a starship, would'nt Kirk have mentioned the need to warn them not to go there?

I mean really, your whole case stems from a stray bit of grammar and some CC done decades after the show aired, so I'd have to ask why there was no follow-up.
He never said "...tell the Discovery not to explore that world, in fact we'll quarrentine it!"

MMM is right and his post-quote states the case well.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....and what is the point or why would there be an urgent need to quarantine or avoid a rogue planet?? The was no implication of danger or reason for concern until Uhura reported the inability to get a transmission out. Why in Gods name are you arguing a need to warn another ship...that was certainly not the nature of the message in the first place, what-so-ever.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"That's as silly as Kirk uttering a line of:
'Notify Command of our situation'
Does this line mean there's a USS Command out there in Enterprise's wake and it's the nearest starship?
Of course not: it's just a word, not a proper name."

Actually, as you used it there, it does seem to be a proper name, short for "Starfleet Command". You even capitalized it.

Besides, even acknowledging that "Command" isn't a ship, it's still someone. You can notify Command, you can notify hedquarters, you can notify the admiral, but you can't notify a discovery. A discovery is an event. It would be like saying "notify the explosion" or "notify the telephone call".

"Notify the discovery" only makes sense if "discovery" indicated some person or persons who can be informed about something. If it indicates a ship, the implication is that the crew of the ship are the ones being addressed. The only other explanation would be that Kirk was drunk or something and meant to say "notify [some undisclosed party of] the discovery". Which is likely the original intention, and something went dreadfully wrong somewhere between the writer's brain and Shatner's mouth.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised that in 3 pages, no one has thought to think of the fact that perhaps he meant to say "note the discovery" & his brain simply got ahead of his lips as is wont to do in some of our cases.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
....and what is the point or why would there be an urgent need to quarantine or avoid a rogue planet?? The was no implication of danger or reason for concern until Uhura reported the inability to get a transmission out. Why in Gods name are you arguing a need to warn another ship...that was certainly not the nature of the message in the first place, what-so-ever.

There you go, over analizing it again. [Roll Eyes]
If there was a USS Discovery, then Kirk would have had to warn then not to go to Gothos after he (as you claim) ordered the USS Discovery to be notified about the mysterious planet (presumably so they could follow up on the anomaly.)
He'd have warned them off once he returned to the Enterprise and began fleeing from Telane.
So, either he neglected to warn another starship of the danger (thereby possibly leaving them to Trlane's tender mercies) or there is no USS Discovery and the line is just a verbal mistake, like so many others in the Trek series.

See now? [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were feeling exasperated, and I am, I might venture to say that this whole conversation is ridiculous and silly. Kirk did not reference a ship named Discovery in TOS "The Squire of Gothos." He simply expressed himself in an awkward and not-wholly-grammatically-accurate sentence.

That's not to say that there isn't a ship named Discovery serving in Starfleet or having served in it at some point in the past. But it was NEVER mentioned on TOS or any other aired Star Trek series to date.

Please can't we stop this?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see pretty valid arguments on both sides, personally. However, I vote in favor of starship Discovery having only now been discovered (heh, heh...) in "The Squire of Gothos"!

Why? [Confused]

'Cause it will exasperate MMoM, of course! [Big Grin]

Sorry, couldn't resist. [Wink]

Seriously, if you go by exactly what is seen on-screen, the idea of a starship w/the name is what you almost have to go with. If you go w/common sense, you must accept that there was no starship Discovery mentioned in the episode and Kirk's brain was running fast in 5th gear while his mouth was still down around 2nd. I lean towards the flub, personally.

Still.... [Razz]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

There you go, bucking for yet another model to sit on your bench of half-built horrors! [Wink]
I call "Model in a Month Challenge" on you!
(you can even drive me and MMM crazy and make Futurama's day by naming it Discovery !) [Razz]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thinking the request "Notify the Discovery on subspace" was for Captain Kirk to alert a survey ship of the existence of the planet Gothos. After his starship left the area, this ship would do a survey of the planet and report their findings.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newark:
I am thinking the request "Notify the Discovery on subspace" was for Captain Kirk to alert a survey ship of the existence of the planet Gothos. After his starship left the area, this ship would do a survey of the planet and report their findings.

And yes, that would all be well and good and sensical if that's what the author of the script wrote, but it isn't. There was no such intention and so the whole idea has nothing behind it.

Just how much of a pedant do you have to be to say "OMG Captain Kirk didn't use proper grammar! This is terrible and atrocious! We have to come up with an outlandish theory 40 years later to explain the glaring error of it all, and twist the known facts to make it sound plausible!"

Come off it, already...you're making yourself look silly.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Hmm..."SWDAO:Mayflower and Discovery"

It's a good thing we are keeping this train wreck on the tracks. [Wink]

Oh and one other thing...

-

...MMM, this is for you. [Big Grin]

--------------------

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is sweet from a guy who includes both Melbournes on his site. Look, dude, intentions change. So, get with the program.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Lets not forget the good ship Lollipop. [Razz]
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by newark:
This is sweet from a guy who includes both Melbournes on his site. Look, dude, intentions change. So, get with the program.

Oh that was low blow and you know it... [Cool]

You're quite correct that my inclusion of both Melbournes is indeed ungainly and implausible. I only have it that way because I am ambivilent about which alternative road to take. (Excelsior as seen clearly in "Emissary" or Nebula as originally seen in BoBW and subsequently in "Future Imperfect" and also "Emissary.")

However I feel that is of little or no relevancy to the issue at hand. Sure, sometimes intentions are consciously altered by TPTB (or TIIC - "The Idiots In Charge" - as someone here was calling them recently [Smile] ) but there has never been any such change about this whole thing. The only people ever to even suggest that there was a U.S.S. Discovery mentioned in SoG are message-board fans like you and a few others who just refuse to accept that this is a DEAD ISSUE.

It was a fine idea at the time, but it has long been disproven, ever since clarication was found in the form of the script.

FG:
Thanks, chum. But I'm not getting an ulcer...yet. [Wink]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps