Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SWDAO:Mayflower and Discovery (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: SWDAO:Mayflower and Discovery
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Lets not forget the good ship Lollipop. [Razz]

*ahem*

ORANGE!

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Ahem* It's still there, regardless to what color it is...perhaps it should be in pepto-pink...there is a higher likilyhood of a ship called Discovery than there is of a USS Lollipop! Btw, hows that ulcer gettin'?? [Big Grin]

Anyway...

So, where is this elusive script? And which version is it? I understand your stance if you are going solely on the final draft, but do you have a first draft to refute this as well?

As we all know there have been other examples of ships being pulled by the final draft (as in "Amok Time" and "Journey To Babel"), until all drafts have been accounted for for "Squire.." then perhaps the writers/proof-readers were just being sloppy due to all the smack Scotty was scoring for Gene and the crew... [Wink]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Using some of that smack yourself, I see.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
*Ahem* It's still there, regardless to what color it is...perhaps it should be in pepto-pink...there is a higher likilyhood of a ship called Discovery than there is of a USS Lollipop! Btw, hows that ulcer gettin'?? [Big Grin]

Um...orange means that the ship never actually existed even though it was referenced. (It indicates a false or deceptive reference - another case where it's used is the Dauntless from VGR.)

Just found this:

quote:
Originally posted by Laz1701:
Look at the line as it appeared in the early draft of the script that Blish used for the novelization:

"Lieutenant Uhura, report the discovery of the planet on subspace radio."

Yes, that's right. The original word wasn't even notify. It was "report".

Is the word discovery capitalized, or not? It isn't, is it? I imagine Blish knew what he was doing when he adapted the script, so what we have here is the word "discovery", not the name "Discovery". Are you willing to suggest that somewhere between this draft of the script and the final script which was used to shoot the episode, TPTB decided to invent a ship named Discovery which hadn't been in the earlier draft?

I redirect that last question to you.

I'm going to ask on the TrekBBS is anyone has a copy of the final draft/shooting script and what it says. Then maybe this will...just...DIE! [Mad]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing I don't understand is why you're are throwing a dead guy a bone...Laz isn't even with us anymore...may God rest his soul.

The funny thing is...MMoM is taking this so seriously, and doing way too damn much research...I haven't done anymore research for this than watch the episode...and make product placements as the cure all.

If you really wanna point out the flaws in "Squire.." you should be pointing out how the "computer moniter screen" is moving with the set and has visible wrinkles in it while it sways...

OMG!!....Constitution classes have vinyl projector screens for computers!! Write it up, its canon! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, FG!
So far, you've presented ZERO evidence of there ever being a TOS USS Discovery mentioned anywhere, you also admit that you're basing your assumption on only watching the episode and CC but not reviewing the script.....
On the other hand MMM had made a very strong case and presented the novelization as backup to his argument.

Just admit that in your personal version of Trek there is this mystery vessel and not in canon or any onscreen version of Trek.

Just let it drop: this is how WWI really started, you know.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

And the only research I've done is take the time to read the old thread where all the pertinent information is laid out very clearly and directly. The only reason this topic keeps coming back is because individuals who want to preserve the "urban legend" of the U.S.S. Discovery from "Squire of Gothos" keep returning to it every couple of years to confuse and suck in more people who aren't familiar with all the data.

It is all so very much bunk.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A buncha' Hooey, I tells ya! [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newark:
This is sweet from a guy who includes both Melbournes on his site. Look, dude, intentions change. So, get with the program.

!!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The line in question, in context. (The line itself was already provided by the nearly mythological Frank, but this time, I'm putting in the stuff right before and after it too! For no apparent reason!)

Kirk: "No time to investigate. Science station gather data for computer banks. Uhura, notify the discovery on subspace radio."

Uhura: "Strong interference on subspace, captain. Planet must be a natural radio source."

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My UNFALTERING powers of deduction lead me to conclude that Kirk sucked at stenography.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

!!

Seconded!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So when Kirk says "Note the log", he's really referring to the USS Log (Maple class). [Big Grin]
When he says "Contact the ship" he's really referring to the USS Ship (starship class).
FUck, let's just assume that Kirk drops one liners about starships in the area in every episode while we're at it, after all, Starfleet has millions of ships and most of them are within easy contact range of the Enterprise... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you don't think that words have definitions, but they do. If you "note x", then x can be anything capable of being thought about or described. If you "notify x", x has to be some entity which can be told about something. You can't tell a discovery about a planet. "Hello, discovery. We've found a planet." Doesn't work that way.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
So when Kirk says "Note the log", he's really referring to the USS Log (Maple class). [Big Grin]
When he says "Contact the ship" he's really referring to the USS Ship (starship class).

[Roll Eyes] Maybe you should read TSN's explanation on page 3 (again).

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps