Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Oberth Shuttlebays, USS Grissom. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Oberth Shuttlebays, USS Grissom.
ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Back in the day, I thought the lower pod was a nacelle....and it probably serves as the flush vents for the nacelles (that dark grey ventlike area at the pod's ventral aft could easily serve that purpose).

Let's try this...
http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/phoenixflightserv/GrissomBee.jpg

The Workbee is 1.3 meters tall, 1.3 meters wide and 2.7 long, roughly. We're looking at the back of the port pylon where it connects to the lower
hull. You might do this with a dedicated 2 man
turbolift, but even a 200 meter Oberth is going to have a messy time of it.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. I dont dig it at all.

I'd rather there be only emergency crawlspaces for maintence between primary and secondary hulls.

For all we know, the lower pod might detatch, sprout solar panels and go into orbit around a planet for months on end while the primary hull heads off to Risa for some fun in the sun.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nope. I dont dig it at all.

I'd rather there be only emergency crawlspaces for maintence between primary and secondary hulls.

For all we know, the lower pod might detatch, sprout solar panels and go into orbit around a planet for months on end while the primary hull heads off to Risa for some fun in the sun.

Consider where the pylons terminate at the top section too. Right on the nacelles where the fins are. Now if I had short, stumpy warp nacelles that needed to be operated close to overload for very short periods (minutes?) I'd use the fins to cool the warp coils down. But putting a turbolift
access here seems to be a little too suicidal even for redshirts!

I agree, some of the components of the warp drive are down there, but they are like the original
Constitutions, mildly unaccessible. I'm wondering if that whole lower aft section might
open up like a clamshell when all the systems are
shut down? It could be used to change sensor pallets or other pieces of equipment.

Christopher

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd figure that large grey section on the pod's forward dorsal side lifts off to reveal sensor palates and such- it's probable that the interior of the pod is completely changed from the STIII era to the TNG era.

For the ship to still be in service by TNG, it must have some impressive capabilities (sensorwise).

BTW, welcome to Flare (always good to see new members that want to talk ships and tech).

Strange we should be diswcussing the Oberth- I'm making up three models of said ship as we speak (though two are going back to the garagge manufacturer as display pieces and for box art pgotography). The model is scaled to 150 meters (a figure I agree with).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

quote:
I'd figure that large grey section on the pod's forward dorsal side lifts off to reveal sensor palates and such- it's probable that the interior of the pod is completely changed from the STIII era to the TNG era.

For the ship to still be in service by TNG, it must have some impressive capabilities (sensorwise).

BTW, welcome to Flare (always good to see new members that want to talk ships and tech).

Strange we should be diswcussing the Oberth- I'm making up three models of said ship as we speak (though two are going back to the garagge manufacturer as display pieces and for box art pgotography). The model is scaled to 150 meters (a figure I agree with).

I agree that interior must have been refit several times during the 80 years preceding the TNG era. Which makes you wonder what do they do with all that gear when they aren't counting whales?

I suppose if the aft underside of the pod was the same color as the deflector/sensors on the Enterprise-Refit, it would make more sense initially.

I do 3d models for Martin Schweiger's Space Flight Simulator -
http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html

I've got 80 odd models on www.orbithangar.com and as I learn new techniques I like to go back and update them. This time the Grissom is getting updated, after Grissom will be the Regula 1 Spacelab. I do like them to be as accurate as
possible so I when I wrote the config files for Grissom I wanted to make sure I wasn't way out in
left field with the shuttlebays.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Sounds cool.
BTW, no need to quote someone if it's the preceeding post- we dont stand on ceremony here at Flare. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

Each board has it's own rules and vernacular, so
it pays to be polite all the time. I don't know
the dirty story behind the Oberths and ILM but I
do know really bad design when I see it. I've never seen any plans for the Oberth on or off the net, so I'm guessing at the functions mostly. I'm guessing that no one at Paramount ever questioned the final design?

Christopher

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I really like the Oberth!
Really!
It's great to see a ship that now "saucer and secondary hull blob, plus nacelles".

Starfleet should have far stranger vessel design than that- according to it's numerous member species which should (but aparantly dont) have an influence on starship design.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

Ahh! That's the "Rod and Gun Club" theory of military design and appropriation. Same bunch of
admirals that handed the US Navy the Mk 14 torpedoes back in the 1930's.

I like the Oberth too, if only for it's incredible underdogness. The warp nacelles have a look that defies description. They aren't PB-47's, they aren't the new Linear models, only half the length of the nacelle seems to have coils in it. Long range doesn't seem to be the
catchword of the day here. It probably has mission durations measured in weeks not months or
years. But in a sense, it's a lot like the pilot NCC-1701. Everything is smooth and hidden behind pods and panels.

Christopher

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

hey, those same nacelles were on the first Excelsior designs ILM made.

As to the Oberth, it makes sense that the ship not be an extremely long-range ship: these would be the ships that do all the real work of research once the Enterprise moves on to it's next "discovery of the week".

I'd think a whole fleet of science ships was sent out to the Dyson Sphere (along with tachyon detection grids and orbital defenses to prevent unwanted security breaches).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

I think I just found my next Operation Center
Seat project. Oberth Class fan fiction for
the masses. [Smile]

I wonder how it would kitbash into something along the lines of a Ptolemy Tug?

I thought TOS was a monster/villian of the week driven series? We didn't get a discovery of the week until ST:TNG!

Christopher

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Jackill has a nice tug variant on the Oberth- no underslung pod, but two large tractor beam emitters under the nacelles.

He's also got a pair of combat versions- one with Miranda phasers and a third nacelle on the ventral side and one with a Miranda torpedo pod underslung where the Oberth's pod is.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

He Who Shall Not Be Named contributed this insight:
quote:

I've mentioned this before, I believe, but given the sheer volume of Oberths that must exist (I postulated 5000 or so over 150 years or the like) & the amazing adaptabiltiy of the pod design--pop it open or swap it out entirely--there has to be far more usage that JUST a research vessel. I've no problem with the Biko being an Oberth & a cargo vessel; that pod is perfect for cargo runs.

My favorite postulation for other subtypes is that of the "intelligence trawler" Threat forces see an Oberth nearby & think, "Oh, they're just studying that nova" but the pod really contains massive specialized passive intelligence-gathering sensors with maybe a few tight-focus active ones. They could be used as boder pickets, fleet AWACS ships, even Starfleet Intelligence command & training ships. Who's to say that there aren't a few with heavily upgraded engine desings & a pod that carries the sensor suites or intel training areas or both?

I agree. I also think their sensor suites could be rigged to detect cloaked ships (until cloaking tech moves up a notch, then sensor tech would need to catch up again).

Consider the Pegasus- it was likely chosen simply because it was so unassumning- and because top-secret intel is easier to maintain on a small ship.

Christopher, as you're new here, let me explain that "He Who Shall Not Be Named" does indeed refer to Chuthlu.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been here for... ever - I don't know who either of those names refer to.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

ZOOM! Right over Andrew's head.

I'll PM you and you'll say "D'Oh!" Of course!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps