Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Oberth Shuttlebays, USS Grissom. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Oberth Shuttlebays, USS Grissom.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy shit... we're up to 1600 members?

I suppose long range sensor sweeps could be possible. I find it odd that I think Adm Pressman said it tested a lot of tech for the Galaxy-class. Completely different engines, deflectors, and all that.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My USS Podish Class was built along those lines, designed liked a Ptolemy Tug without the tow pad and the warp nacelles up against the primary hull.

The objective was to create a "superscout" that had high enough warp speed to coast through an enemy system with all it's system shut down and shielded passive sensors collecting ECM/ECCM data. Two nacelles gave it more redundancy than the standard Hermes/Saladin classes, hence the Superscout.

When I mentioned "counting whales" I was alluding to the idea that the Oberths were perfect for missions other than the standard ones a science vessel would have.

It might explain their long staying power in an otherwise extremely hostile enviroment. Compare the current B-52 bombers whose first flights were in 1952. They've got the hull and systems integrity to keep absorbing upgrades long after they should have been retired. (Enterprise was
40 when they tried to retire her?)

I once thought the idea of 80 year old ships running around ST:TNG was crazy! I'm beginning
to rethink that position.

Christopher

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
I find it odd that I think Adm Pressman said it tested a lot of tech for the Galaxy-class. Completely different engines, deflectors, and all that.

The Pegasus was supposed to be a Cheyenne class vessel. The script reflects this, even the sets reflect this. But when they couldn't build a detailed Cheyenne model in time, they used the Oberth model (also, the Crazy Horse was also supposed to be a Cheyenne, thus the 5xxxx registry).

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(1600ish people have signed up, anyway. We only have 503 members at the moment, unused accounts being trimmed from time to time by his bearded eminence.)
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
ZOOM! Right over Andrew's head.

I'll PM you and you'll say "D'Oh!" Of course!

I said "D'Oh".

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
quote:
I find it odd that I think Adm Pressman said it tested a lot of tech for the Galaxy-class. Completely different engines, deflectors, and all that.

The Pegasus was supposed to be a Cheyenne class vessel. The script reflects this, even the sets reflect this. But when they couldn't build a detailed Cheyenne model in time, they used the Oberth model (also, the Crazy Horse was also supposed to be a Cheyenne, thus the 5xxxx registry).
Admiral John Locke! [Smile]

Now I just had an idea - a few 'special edition' eps - where they fix up some effects. They could nicely replace the Oberth Pegasus with a Cheyenne Pegasus!

Do we have ANY other views of the Cheyenne class other than that trading card version?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Huh. I though that Amby variant with the nacelles down and no neck (a sketch MSD of Sternbach's was sold two years ago on ebay and we talked about it untill I built my USS Hemidall model of it) was supposed to the the Pegasus.

I never heard of a Chyenne being considered before.

Anyhow, the systems being tested could have been targeting sensors, weapons interfaces, transporter and shield technology- none of which would preclude a larger ship.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

This is only partially correct. It is true that the Crazy Horse, after being mentioned by name only in "Descent, Part I" (TNG), was listed by Okuda as Cheyenne-class and assigned a registry of NCC-50446 in the first Star Trek Encylcopedia and only later appeared as an Excelsior in "The Pegasus" (TNG). It is also true that the Pegasus herself was originally intended to be a new design of ship, but it was not that of the Cheyenne Class. Rather, it was an Ambassador-derived design, as can be seen in this sketch by Rick Sternbach. When this was not allowed by the budget, the Oberth model was used instead.

While it is true that a display on the Pegasus Engineering set appears to show what might be four nacelles, I know of no official record citing a connection between the ship and the Cheyenne design. The display may indeed have been created by Okuda, one of the very few people on staff who would have had any idea what the Cheyenne looked like, (or even that it existed, modelled by Ed Miarecki and named by Okuda himself for use in "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II" [TNG]) but no other evidence for the oft-repeated fandom tale that the Pegasus was supposed to be a Cheyenne exists AFAIK. No TNG script makes any mention whatsoever of "Cheyenne class" in reference to any ship, nor does any episode's dialogue, although another Okuda-generated display from "Redemption, Part II" (TNG) establishes that the class does exist and that the ship from BoBWII (the Ahwahnee) was of it.

Unless anyone has further evidence in support of the claim, I tend to think that this little urban legend got started through confusion between the established background stories of the Pegasus and Crazy Horse, which both coincidentally culminated in the same episode, perhaps furthering the confusion.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.
I forgot to mention that a further point which might have contributed to the Pegasus-as-Cheyenne theory is the fact that her registry number (NCC-53847) is of comparable range to that of the number assigned to the Crazy Horse (NCC-50446) in the Encyclopedia, where (as mentioned) the latter was also listed as a Cheyenne.

-MM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should have gone with the Amby version: it would have been schweet.
 -

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the larger you make the ship, the less likely it is that the mutineers would fail to detain the Captain. It has to be a fairly short hop from the bridge to the shuttlebay if Pressman and Riker are to have any hope of making it.

Incidentally, this plot detail in "The Pegasus" does confirm that Oberth class vessels carry shuttlecraft. That is, unless the Pegasus herself was heavily modified from the class norm. Since she was something of a testbed, and since about half of her was hidden from our view, this is of course a distinct possibility...

The display in "Hero Worship" suggests that the shuttlebay is at the stern of the ventral pod, although there are no obvious openings for it. The aft "tunnel" is too small for the purpose. Perhaps a topside sliding panel?

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hmmm good points about the Pegasus' size needing to be small to accomidate the story better (though the shuttlebay on the Amby's "C-Deck" would have worked in the story's context of a running firefight from bridge to shuttlebay, I suppose).

How does Hero Worship confirm shuttles?
Was there an MSD or something?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Specifically, this one.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way to get that Type 6 out of there without resorting to the "completely seamless dorsal doors" theory would be to say that the side "grilles" on the pod are rolling doors.

Quite possible, I guess, if we think of the pod as a mounting system for swappable instruments (or for assorted cargo in the oft-quoted supply ship role). However, rolling those doors away would definitely ruin the day for people working in the aftermost cabins of the pod...

...Unless those cabins are in the centerline only, and are flanked on both sides by pressure bulkheads. Such an arrangement would be relatively workable. And not every Oberth need have those centerline cabins; virtually the entire interior could be reconfigurable, save for the warp core in the middle (and that area is actually flanked by solid walls anyway). A science vessel would have the extra cabins and the extra computer core. A supply ship might have fuel tanks. A whaling vessel would have a boiling kettle. And so forth.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

but the MSD seems to indicate decks in the pylons as well, and that's just total bullshit.

Mabye the ship was carrying a shuttle or two as cargo to some outpost when disaster struck.
Hapless (and doomed) crew had just enough time to lament "if only we could get to those shuttles we're carrying..."

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
[QB] but the MSD seems to indicate decks in the pylons as well, and that's just total bullshit.

That's not the first time! It's possible that the Vico was a 400 meter Oberth, which would put it in league with the Klingon Bird of Prey for the same hull having been built in multiple scales. [Smile]

Christopher

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps