Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Oberth Shuttlebays, USS Grissom. (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Oberth Shuttlebays, USS Grissom.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes sense- they would have just replayed the dematerialization scene in reverse and saved on "effects".

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They leave Spacedock via it's transporter to get back on the Enterprise. I think Scotty was at the controls on the Enterprise.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are speaking of ST3, I take it?

To nitpick, they leave via "The Old City Station" (presumably down in San Francisco, which suggests that McCoy was also held planetside), and their arrival on the Enterprise is never shown; when we join them again, they are IIRC shown entering the bridge via turbolift.

...Again, if they had transported to somewhere else besides the transporter room, why not directly to the bridge? This is another highly probable example of pad-to-pad, but again not a conclusive one.

Timo Saloniemi

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to also check out "The Tholian Web" and "Omega Glory" for other scenes where they beam from the Enterprise to another Federation Starship.

In "Doomsday Machine," however, they beam into the corridor on the "Constellation."

http://www.trek5.com/caps/tos/35_DDM/pages/35ddm-18.htm

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, in those two instances the ship they were beaming too was deserted (or at least had a dead crew) so there wasn't anyone operating the transporter.

And all this is still "I think that they did a transporter to transporter transport in such and such episode". Where it the proof, man?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the record, they beam directly to the bridge in "Web", and to engineering in "Glory".

There's no explicit pad-to-pad in any of the TOS episodes (although it's implicit in "Tribbles"), nor in the TOS movies (although the dialogue is suggestive of pad-to-pad at least in the last trip of Commander Sonak), until ST6 rolls along - and suddenly it seems that pad-to-pad is the only possible way to do ship-to-ship!

I don't know if ENT ever did pad-to-pad. In terms of real-world chronology, the first instance was probably "A Matter of Honor". The first explicit Starfleet-pad-to-Starfleet-pad transport doesn't come until "Realm of Fear", although it's probably implicit in all transfers from "Where No One Has Gone Before" on, even though we only see one half of them. ("Encounter at Farpoint" doesn't count: no doubt McCoy used a shuttlecraft or went spacewalking!)

Come to think of it, we practically never see transporting between two Starfleet pads, unless it is a weird emergency such as in "Realm of Fear". DS9 does much more pad-to-pad between transporters from two different cultures than any of the other shows, but even there the circumstances are often exceptional. Pad-to-pad is not at all as common as it may appear at first glance...

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One, seemingly obvious, reason Starfleet might want all incoming to beam in through the receiving transporter system is so that the matter stream goes through the receiving bio-filter.

In instances where the receiving ship is doing the transporting, but rematerializing the subject somewhere else on the ship (beam them directly to sickbay), they would still be going through the bio-filter of that ship, so it would simply be a power conservation issue.

In Star Trek 6, the reason that *had* to beam pad-to-pad, was so that the evidence could be found. And while it's likely the computer logs were erased, the thought that noone even considered trying a DNA match from the transporter records is somewhat irritating.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

The DNA match wouldn't really have been worth the while. It was already known that it would be a victim's blood, after all, not a perpetrator's.

And even if the color hadn't told it for Klingon blood, the heroes would already know the assassins wore protective garments. There wouldn't be any telltale biomaterial transferred from the insides of the suits to the outsides. And the outsides are probably easily sterilized.

(Whoops! Edit: Completely misunderstood you, Aban! Have to plead erased records after all. Then again, we don't know if transporters already did the DNA scan thing back in the 2290s. They might retain no record of use other than "I was used on SD XXXX.XX on YYY's authority".)

What the heroes could have done is order everybody in recorded possession of such suits (they were personally identifiable, as Scotty later tells us) to present them to the searchers. Burke and Samno would have been caught literally with their pants down...

(Hmm. This is getting way off topic. Who's the moderator around here?)

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess we don't know if the transporter keeps records, but in order to deconstruct a person, it would have to be able to read all the information that would be needed to identify them.

Here's a possibility, though: What if they didn't really use Enterprise's transporters? If they were working with Chang, they may have been given info on how to access the Klingon transporters to take them off Enterprise and put them on the Klingon ship. Then they used the Klingon's transporters to get back, only materializing in Ent's transporter room because they knew there wouldn't be anyone there, not because they were actually making use of the transporter. That would explain why they had to use the Klingon transporter pads and why there was no computer record of them being transported.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

quote:
Well, I guess we don't know if the transporter keeps records, but in order to deconstruct a person, it would have to be able to read all the information that would be needed to identify them.
But since the task of handling all that information is so immense, we might postulate that the transporter doesn't handle it. Rather, it just gulps it down without chewing: the person is "dephased" and then "rephased" in an "analog" manner, without going into the "digital" specifics of his makeup.

Such a mechanism would leave no useful record or assembly instructions, which is a good thing dramatically speaking, because it makes the creation of transporter doppelg�ngers a bit more difficult.

The idea that the assassins used a Klingon transporter is logically sound. Also, since Burke and Samno were on guard duty at a transporter room when we first saw them, it might be that they were chosen specifically because they had legitimate access to such a room; they wouldn't have legitimate access to the machinery in that room, though, so Valeris would have to intervene if Starfleet transporters were to be used.

The downside of that speculation is that, IIRC, the transporter effect on the Qo'noS 1 and Enterprise pads was the Federation blue through and through. I hope I'm remembering wrong, though.

Timo Saloniemi

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just checked: the transporter effect was red arriving on and departing from Kronos One; we never see Burke and Samno departing or returning to Enterprise. Also, when Kirk and McCoy arrive on Kronos One, the effect was red as well.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Timo
Member # 245

So that supports Aban's interpretation all the way...

(Although I do seem to remember a shot of the assassins' feet when they return to the Enterprise, with the Klingon blood droplets falling down on the transporter platform. Was the effect there red, too?)

What does the Klingon transporter operator aboard the Qo'noS 1 say when the assassins arrive? Is he in on the plot? Did he beam the two aboard? Was he in the belief he was beaming somebody else aboard?

It would make sense for the conspirators to use the facilities of the Klingon ships as much as possible, but they must also make sure to leave lots of traces aboard the Enterprise so that they can implicate Kirk in case of a detailed investigation. So perhaps Valeris actually forged the records so that they would show the assassins used the Enterprise transporters, even when they didn't?

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the only guy in the transporter room is taken by surprise by their arrival, and then they kill him.
Timo
Member # 245

...Which wouldn't be all that surprising if he were an accomplice of theirs.

So, is this guy's line translatable thlIngan Hol, or gibberish?

Timo Saloniemi

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the only guy in that sequence that actually says something is the guy that gets his arm shot off.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps