Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Oberth Shuttlebays, USS Grissom. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Oberth Shuttlebays, USS Grissom.
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
They should have gone with the Amby version: it would have been schweet.
 -

what makes you think they can't? [Smile]

i mean, Lucas redid/updated all three of his original Star Wars episodes back in the 90's, using CGI to cover his 'failings'. What is stopping Paramount or who ever from perhaps doing the same or similar to any of the TV episodes of TNG? hella, even TOS?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick, someone email Mike Okuda and ask him if that MSD of the Vico is still around.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt Paramount will be doing any FX revisions of TNG anytime soon.

Particularly when they could revised TOS' efects for DVD- they could have just taken the bueatiful Enterprise studio model from Trials and Tribulations, shot the ten or so scenes of the Enterprise that were always used and made the occasional CGI sky or enemy starship (instead of having the Orion ship look like a photon torpedo).

But Trek is not exactly at an all-time high: not after us lausy fans failed to support a wonderful film like Nemesis.
Damn us fans!

I"d personally prefer SFX updates to TOS and TNG (along with a nice complete W359 battle scene) to another Stewart/Spiner ego-inflating TNG movie.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it's funny, I don't recall ever hearing a single positive reaction to what Lucas did to his Star Wars films...go figure... [Roll Eyes]

Leave Trek VFX alone, please. Think of the children.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some annotations to the back of the Oberth - illustrating what I mentioned in an earlier post. I put two sizes of 'person' there - both work. Sort of going by the 'bridge dome' being the actual bridge itself or just in the middle of it.

From that MSD I don't know about decks down the pylons either - but the two little guys I've got there could easily have a comfy turbolift. Failing that there's always an escalator! [Wink]

Decks in the pylons might work for the little guy but there still wouldn't be much room to do or store much at all. I'd be really pissed off If I ended up with quarters in the pylons! [Smile]

AND you can see that you don't have to go through the nacelles to get to the pylons and beyond since they sit on the flat upper primary hull further to the front.

Here's the picture: http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/44/backoberth.jpg

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not clear from the MSD (or actually it's not even a MSD, it's a cutaway viewed from aboard the Enterprise) whether the pylons are supposed to have "decks" in the sense of "cabins and closets and consoles and crew-accessible areas", or just in the sense of "horizontal and vertical reinforcing structures".

There is some detail there that looks similar to the cabin detail in the ventral pods, and there are arrows pointing to a couple of areas in the pylons. A better-resolution image would be quite interesting... Any hope that this could be turned into a series of detailed DVD caps and zoom-ins, combined with a transcript of what LaForge is saying when he hand-waves around that display? (I don't even have a VHS tape of this. [Frown] )

Timo Saloniemi

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew, is that a standard 120m Oberth?

Christopher

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I"d personally prefer SFX updates to TOS and TNG (along with a nice complete W359 battle scene) to another Stewart/Spiner ego-inflating TNG movie.

According to an interview I read with Patrick Stewart this morning, he doesn't want to do anymore Hollywood movies because "most of them are crap".

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as "most" of the movies he's been in were Trek or Lifeforce, I'd say he should guard his words a tad better....

I'm also intrested to see what scale Oberth that is- even at that size, I dont buy the "escalator" thing- too thin buikheads between the crew and space there for safety.

A Jeffries Tube with variable gravity (so you could not slide to your death,and would need no ladder) would work nicely though.

I still think that even in the movie-era, they could have made conduits that specifically routed a transporter matter-stream (hey they do it with superheated plasma, so why not) to "transport" crew to the Oberth's secondary hull/Miranda's torpedo pod.
It's beaming, but without inherent the dangers thereof.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like the idea of any ship having areas that require a transporter to access. What if they go down? With Starfleet's redundancy-lust, it hardly seems like something they would do.

As long Stewart is Prof X in X-Men 3, I'm good. He can enjoy his stage-only career after that.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I don't like the idea of any ship having areas that require a transporter to access. What if they go down? With Starfleet's redundancy-lust, it hardly seems like something they would do.

If it was for normal day to day operations I'd say that it might be okay. Maybe if it was modified with the waveguide like Jason said. Look at the distance between the Transporter rooms on the 1701D and the hull emitters. If I was the captain and there was any sort of emergency, I'd space the cargo and run for the nearest asteroid belt!

I settled on 200 meters for my Oberth and I'm comfortable with that. Maybe that would give room for some escalators (which can be made very narrow! I think what I need to do is make a 3D escalator and see how that approach would work.

Christopher

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, as "most" of the movies he's been in were Trek or Lifeforce, I'd say he should guard his words a tad better....

I'm also intrested to see what scale Oberth that is- even at that size, I dont buy the "escalator" thing- too thin buikheads between the crew and space there for safety.

A Jeffries Tube with variable gravity (so you could not slide to your death,and would need no ladder) would work nicely though.

I still think that even in the movie-era, they could have made conduits that specifically routed a transporter matter-stream (hey they do it with superheated plasma, so why not) to "transport" crew to the Oberth's secondary hull/Miranda's torpedo pod.
It's beaming, but without inherent the dangers thereof.

As long as there is another reciveing Transporter pad, I don't think its a problem. They beam into other ships and bases frequently, why is it different beaming withen one's own ship?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the start of The Original Series - site-to-site transporting on starships was risky business and the Oberth Clearly is an older ship.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm well aware of this. But is it still "site-to-site" transporting if both ends have a transporter pad? The issue with site-to-site is that you might end up in a wall or something because there is very little space inside a ship and the transporters weren't that precise. But when beaming to a pad, we always see them on the pad.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for that matter, if it's two pads on one ship, they don't even have to "beam" you at all. They can send you through pipes.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps