Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Enterprise D's Runabout (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Enterprise D's Runabout
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess that might mean Picard names the shuttles!?! I guess Janeway would too...

Andrew

------------------
"Its a CLOCK!" - Sisko, "Dramatis Personae" DS9.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Timscape"? Oh, we're not full of ourselves, are we?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One must consider that the runabout was just on loan and not permanently attached to the Enterprise. Personally I believe that this is the case, but then again just because we never saw it again (or before) doesn't mean it wasn't there.
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was some issue on r.a.s.t. about whether or not it would fit through the shuttlebay doors, as far as I recall.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it got blowed up real good, so it would be hard to see again.

And there were a fair few DS9 shots used in that ep. As far as I can tell, nearly all the model shots of the runabout in DS9 (as oppossed to CGI) are filmed in such a way as to make the registry numbers in shadow or otherwise unreadable. I think the registry number on the runabout miniture is the Rio Grande's number, and they've just never bothered to change it, as it would take too much effort.

It would also explain the Rio Grande's near mutant-indestructibility.

------------------
*gasp* "The pictures...they're...coming...alive!"
-Abe Simpson, on the miracle of the moving image

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, the Rio Grande may be "protected" by the Prophets. It was the vessel that Sisko used to discover the celestial temple.

The runabouts must be able to fit in the Galaxy-class main shuttlebay. After all, the Ent-D did bring the original 3 to DS9 in "Emissary".

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

[This message has been edited by Dax (edited November 30, 1999).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if they don't fit in through the aft doors, then there are always the overhead doors... Although we never see those open, to be sure.

I'd think the captains or possibly some lower-ranking officers get to name all the shuttles, and even decide on the numbers they receive. That way, the shuttle Sakharov /01 can easily be a type 7 in early TNG and type 6 in later eps, or the El-Baz can be /05 or /03 as needed. And the /13 can be a type 7 in "Coming of Age", but what seems like a TNG-era runabout in "Skin of Evil".

And I bet the workbees are named by the deck crew. And Paramount simply won't allow any of those names to be reproduced in print in any book with their logo on the back, for obvious reasons...

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First One: The Runabout you're speaking of was the Rubicon. That's the one Sisko named. I tend to ignore that line since every other piece of canon suggests that ships are named when they are commissioned.

Also, runabouts were still fairly new at this point. Consider the possibility that IF the practice of supplying some starships with runabouts was being implemented, Picard was bringing the runabout to the Ent D for the first time. They did intend to rejoin the ship so the runabout would have had to stay on board for a while at least. However, if this is the case, how did the group get to wherever they were coming back from in the first place? Did the Ent D drop them off and then leave? It wouldn't be the first time.

I also think that the hull is blank with regards to the name and rego. I watched it frame by frame and couldn't see anything.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well as much as you might like too, we cannnot simply ignore that line (at least I can't). It could be possible that this runabout was special and signifigant in some way. Sisko could have done something special, and an admiral gave him 'special dispensation' to name it whatever he wanted.

------------------
Quark-"Stop. Or I'll disintigrate this hostage."

20th Century General-"With Your Finger?"

Quark-"With my death ray."

20th Century General-"Looks alot like a finger to me."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow I find the idea that runabouts were new to DS9 illogical. I mean, they are just bigger and badder shuttles, with no qualitative differences. Surely clumsier versions of them would have existed ever since Kirk's times? And it was just the Danube class specifically that was new...

Rewatching (ugh!) "Skin of Evil", I was intrigued by the shuttle there. You remember "shuttle 13" crashing into a rock face, with Troi aboard? The wreck exterior was portrayed by a model or prop that clearly wasn't supposed to look at all like the then standard type 7 shuttle. It had a very large stern window, a long and narrow hull, a cockpit area separated from the rest of the craft by a bulkhead and a door (admittedly, some type 7s had this as well), and two very large nacelles apparently mounted on long pylons instead of being bolted to the hull. All features that are mirrored in the Danube design.

To boot, this was one of the extremely few TNG shuttles that was in true deep-space interstellar transit, as opposed to ferrying somebody from a nearby star system to the ship or vice versa. (the only other one that comes to mind would be the type 7 in "Chain of Command", really. Or perhaps Scotty's "gift".)

This relates to two nits:

1. A legitimate difference in warp performace wrt shuttles => consistency in the way these craft are operated. It would make sense for the E-D to have one or two "runabouts" on board, since shuttles as portrayed in the TNG TM cannot go interstellar, not at warp two max.

2. (And this is really obscure!) Remember that SWDAO on "Second Sight", about the Potemkin looking like an Ambassador on the E-D monitor readout? Well, this shuttle looks like a type 7 on the monitor, even though the model never attempts to look like one. So we can now say all such screen representations are just symbolical, and the Potemkin is really an Excelsior.

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

As if the above rant wasn't enough, I'll add a few lines in reply to Aban:

There seem to be three standard practices of letting people make planetside trips:

-Fly the ship in, usually at impulse, use transporters to move the people down and back up, warp out. (Normal practice for TOS, DS9 and late TNG)

-Warp the ship to the outskirts of the system, launch a shuttle, warp out, later warp back and pick up the shuttle. The shuttle usually travels at impulse. (This is used in TAS and most of early TNG)

-Send a shuttle out, crash it on a planet, fly the ship in and try to transport the people up, land the ship when this fails, take off and warp out. (This is the method preferred by VOY)

One could combine these if the target planet has a Federation presence: since shuttles are consumer goods anyway, starbases could lend them to people so that they can method-two themselves back to their ship. Or the people could leave their shuttles behind and method-one out.

I guess it all depends on how tight the schedule of the ship is. Almost invariably, ships are forced to go to impulse when entering star systems. To avoid this, the method two seems like a good idea, unless the planet is a high-risk unexplored one. And even if people were delivered by method one, it is a good idea to switch over to method two for the return trip if at all possible, to save the ship the tedious hours of impulse-crawling.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black Night: I suppose you're right. There is evidense of special dispensation being given in starship naming. I suppose this could be the case and it's the best resolution of the problem that I've heard.

Timo: I will have to respectfully disagree with you about the differences between runabouts and shuttles. The difference in exterior design may be slight. In shape and style, yes, Danubes are big shuttles. However, in purpose and abilities, they far exceed shuttlecraft. They have swappable mission pods and those rollbar pods which give the Danubes something not found on shuttles: mission adaptablility. Shuttles are pretty much shuttles. Yes they can be adapted for specific tasks as they did in "The Outcast" to search for the missing ship. But just think how much better and safer and more efficient it would have been if Riker and the alien chickkie would have had all the resources of a small starship at their disposal.

Danubes are also designed to operate for extended periods independant of any sort of mothership. True we have never seen them as independant commands, they seem to always be attached to a starbase or (if we believe my arguement) other starships. In every way IMHO, Danubes seem to be designed as Starships, very different from shuttles in purpose.

Now I agree that Runabouts have probably been around in some form for a little while at least. However, I take Sisko's line in "Emissary" that the Enterprise had offloaded "three Runabout Class vessels" instead of Danube class, to show his unfamiliarity with this type of ship.

------------------

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since Aban just said a whole lot up there, I'll just summarize by saying: "uh,...yeah...what he said."

------------------
Quark-"Stop. Or I'll disintigrate this hostage."

20th Century General-"With Your Finger?"

Quark-"With my death ray."

20th Century General-"Looks alot like a finger to me."

Timo
Member # 245

Uh, well... Seconded!

However, couldn't the new Enterprise-E shuttle be classified as a runabout by those criteria, despite the fact that it was labeled "shuttle" in Eaves' drawings? It did have
-(aft) torpedoes
-twin transporter pads
-internal bulkheads and corridors
-those nifty docking hatches
-out-of-proportion engines
and could have had swappable modules, too, to account for the oversized exterior and cramped interiors.

Was it ever *called* a shuttle in the movie? I won't have my tape of "Insurrection" until, you guessed, the 25th (or late 24th).

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I think it's absolutely possible that the advent and common use of the Danube class will effect the evolution of shuttle design and technology. Therefore, it's quite appropriate that shuttles are getting more and more like Danubes. Perhaps in the near future, we will see bigger and better runabouts. The Yellowstone Class from Harry's alt. future may turn out to be a new kind of runabout in our reality. I'll have to rewatch my tape to see if the new shuttle is actually called that in Insurrection, but I think it is.

------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps