Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Delta Flyer Torpedo Launcher (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Delta Flyer Torpedo Launcher
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since the Delta Flyer is just about one of my favorite ships in Star Trek, I think that it is my duty to post all problems I can think of about it.
It would seem that the graphics artists for Voyager have decided to move the Delta Flyer's torpedo launcher.

This is where I thought the deflector was: http://members.xoom.com/avalonsector/junk/deltadeflectordiagram.jpg
This is where I thought the torpedo launcher was: http://members.xoom.com/avalonsector/junk/deltatorpdiagram.jpg

Apparently, the Flyer has two torpedo launchers, and no deflector, illustrated by this animation. http://members.xoom.com/avalonsector/junk/deltaflyertorpanim.gif

I guess its possible that the lower indention is the deflector, even though it doesn't glow. Or, the (what we thought was) the deflector doubles as a torpedo launcher.

What do you think?
------------------
Navigator-"Heading, Sir?"
Kirk-"Out there...somewhere...out thatta-way."--Star Trek: TMP

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited January 23, 2000).]

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the deflector have to be on the surface of the hull???

I'm almost certanly sure it does but i'm just checking.

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

IP: Logged
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Xoom.

So nice to get a blank screen instead of a descriptive "404 Not found".

Grrrr

------------------
Gene: "I AM Star Trek"
Yvonne: "You can't sum yourself up in so small a package."
Gene: "SMALL?!!"

- Gene Roddenberry: The Last Conversation

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, come on now. Everybody knows you have to copy and paste the links.

------------------

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the deflector alright!

And I never noticed that torpedo launcher. That must be the standard torpedo launcher (not for those photonic missiles).

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes the deflector has to be on the surface of the hull and it has to be forward facing. The deflector emits a constant stream of some kind of energy to push stuff out of the way.

That thing you thought was the deflector is acording to every schematic I've ever seen. You'll notice a striking similarity to the ones seen on Voyager and her shuttles.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering since the delta flyer is a really powerful shuttle/runabout then would it have its photons launcher similar to the ones located on runabouts?

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Black Knight
Member # 134

I would think that just about all smaller sized craft such as runabouts and shuttles would have the same microtorpedo launchers. Though a Runabout would be able to carry more than a Type-9 for example.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do shuttlecraft even have torp launchers?

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could have it mounted, like a ski-box.
But I like the Delta Flyer's solution better.

------------------
Somehow we're going somewhere.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far, no shuttle has been explicitly shown launching torpedoes. The one flown by Picard and Worf in "Insurrection" did launch microtorp-looking things aft, but we never learned what those were. Perhaps they were just those fancy tachyon pulses that destabilized Data's shields? John Eaves has a "torp tube" in his drawings for the shuttle, but those need not be considered "official".

Runabouts have carried torpedoes in some episodes, but the only time we saw one of them really firing a torp was in "The Search pt II". The torps emerged from under the ship (as seen from the inside - we never got exterior view). The runabout doing the firing did NOT carry the dorsal pod some runabouts sometimes have. Nor did more than one of the runabouts in "Jem'Hadar", even though both of the craft accompanying the Odyssey were supposed to have torpedoes. So it seems the dorsal pod has nothing to do with torpedoes (except perhaps serving as a targeting sensor and datalink for a pack of torp-armed runabouts?).

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo, I believe there are actually various pods that can be attatched to the Danubes (photorps, phasers, sensors, etc...).

Supposedly there is also a torp launcher and a tractor emitter underneath the cockpit of a Danube. Where does the DS9 Tech Man show the photorp launcher to be on a Runabout?

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If memory serves there was an episode in which a runabout got shrunk, and during an altercation a discharge from the runabout is seen killing a Jemhadar soldier. I always wonder if this could have been a micro torpedo.

RUN...RUN FOR YOU LIVES....the little people are attacking!!!!!

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

It was. Someone in the cockpit said something about "Torpedo Lock". It may have been small, but it was still a matter/ antimatter explotion!! Those'll leave a mark!

------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the poor Jem neglected to raise shields.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps