Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Delta Flyer Torpedo Launcher (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Delta Flyer Torpedo Launcher
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, the DS9 TM doesn't really show the location of the torp launcher. It does tell that there are "pop-up" microtorp launchers somewhere near the forward cabin (perhaps in the stub wings, perhaps under the cabin), and that some of the amidships "mission modules" can be torpedo launchers (presumably capable of drop-launching full-size starship torpedoes).

The volley of torps we saw emerging in "The Search" could have come from either a microtorp launcher below the cockpit, or a full-size torp launcher in the amidships modules. Where did the possible torp in "One Little Ship" come from, exactly?

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it came from the front of the ship and i think it came from underneath the cockpit. Being that small, it's probably pretty hard to see on tape.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The loader for the microtorpedo launcher is in the floor of the cockpit, so I am guessing the launcher is on the bottom of the ship.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting back to the Flyer, what if the positions of the torp launcher and the deflector were in the opposite places that Black Knight originally thought. The deflector on the bottom and the launcher on top.

------------------
"To start, press any key. Where's the 'any' key?
-Homer Jay Simpson

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The extendable micro-torpedo launcher(only one)is indeed on the underside of Danubes, towards the back of the cockpit housed in that sensor-cluster indent. If you look in the DS9 TM on page 149, it says so in the "Tactical Systems" paragraph. It also says you can gain access to the torpedo systems through one of those hatches in the cockpit floor.
In "One Little Ship", the unfortunate Jem'Hadar did get knocked down by a blast coming from the bottom of the mini-Runabout. Ouch!
-------------------
It is offensive....fortunately taste is irrelevant.
-Seven of Nine

[This message has been edited by nx59650 (edited February 05, 2000).]

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I'm guessing. The deflector might be on the bottom, and the torp launcher on top.

------------------
Navigator-"Heading, Sir?"
Kirk-"Out there...somewhere...out thatta-way."--Star Trek: TMP

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The deflector dish on the Delta flyer is on top, and the photonic missile launcher is on the bottom. I can prove this as soon as I figure out how to paste links properly.
------------------------
It is offensive, fortunately taste is irrelevant.
-Seven of Nine

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

As you can see from the pic, the deflector dish (and it is one because it looks just like Voyager's) is on the top of the craft, just like every shuttle onboard Voyager. The torpedo launchers are on the bottom and the sides. The side-mounted ones were seen in "Extreme Risk".

[This message has been edited by nx59650 (edited February 07, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you read the top posts?

This thread is here because of this:
http://members.xoom.com/avalonsector/junk/deltaflyertorpanim.gif

It shows a torpedo coming out of the previously accepted Deflector. So that's what we're discussing.

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the photonic missile launcher is NOT in the same spot as the photon torpedo launcher. The photonic missiles come from somewhere near the forward phasers that we have not been able to exactly pinpoint. I'll get an animation up when I can.

------------------

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

What the hell???? Okay, okay (*sighs*). I know the photonic missiles come from the sides, near the forward phaser strips. I know photon torpedoes are fired from the tube on the bottom, but what in the Delta Quadrant is the deflector doing in that animation. It clearly looks like it's firing a torpedo-but it's a deflector! Wait a tick...maybe the deflector is firing some sort of burst of energy. We have seen the deflector on the E-D fire a burst at the Borg, maybe the Delta Flyer was doing the same? What episode is that animation from?
--------------------
It is offensive, fortunately taste is irrelevant.
-Seven of Nine

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E-D was not firing bursts from their deflector. It was an energy stream, like a phaser. They may have called it a burst though. Is that schem of the Flyer even official? The Flyer was most likely firing a torp. What episode did that come from anyway?

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

[This message has been edited by PopMaze (edited February 08, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, even if it is shown firing a torpedo from the deflector, that doesn't make the deflector a torpedo launcher, anymore than the E-D's deflector was a phaser array.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, klingon K'Tinga's shouldn't have disruptors in their nose-launchers either (and stream-firing, at that), so there you go!

------------------
-Have some coffee, it's good!
-Ah don't want none o'your god-damn coffee!!

Black Knight
Member # 134

That animation was one I made using screen caps of a preview for a new Voyager Episode called 'Collective', coming out in a few weeks.
The rest of the video shows that 'energy burst' or torpedo, or whatever hitting a structure on the surface of a Borg Cube. It really does look like a torpedo to me even though I can't figure out why it is coming from the deflector, that is sort of what this thread is for.
Maybe we should cast votes on what we think is happening:
-That is actually the torpedo launcher (even though it looks like a deflector)
-The deflector is on the bottom and the launcher is on top.
-The deflector is a combination deflector AND torpedo launcher.
-or your own theory.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps