Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » And what might these be? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: And what might these be?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/misc/early.htm
First of all, thanks to pIn'a'Sov (sp?) for tha pics

Ok, here we go!
1)
Where is that picture of the DY-500 from (both schematic and computer-screen) Is that NAR canon? Is a DY-500 capable of warp? When was it launched?
2) http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/misc/early1.htm
Where is that Romulan ER-War ship picture from? Canon?
3)
Ares 4 was launched in 2032. That's 36 years later than Khan's ship to Ceti Alpha. They could've reached MArs with DY-ships!
4) What where the launch dates and destinations of the following ships: Charybdis, Nomad and al the early thing I forgot.

The reason?
I'm planning on making my own lil' timeline of the late 20th and early 21th century, with the Eugenics Wars and WW3.

------------------
FuckU-FuckMe: Changing the feel of communication:
"What kinds of security controls does FuckU-FuckMe offer?

All FuckU-FuckMe users can control whom they connect to on an individual basis. There's no need to go to a public reflector. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

[This message has been edited by Prakesh (edited June 26, 2000).]

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, what do you mean by sp?
Second, the DY 500 stylized pic is from the book celebrating the end of st:tng, I forget the title, something like "The continuing...". The screencap is from the episode in question, check the encyclopedia for the title of the show.
Third, the romulan pic is from st:chronology, and I have another pic of it and some larger as well on my romulan page.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(sp?) means he's not sure if he has spelled it correctly.

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altair: Aaaah, thanks.
Yep, the spelling was correct: pIn'a' Sov. It�s klingon and translated it means: "master of knowledge". It was the closest I could come to what I am, a postgraduate student in Sweden currently writing his thesis on medieval nobility in Sweden.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DY-500 ship was the SS Mariposa from "Up the Long Ladder" [TNG]. A computer screen on Picard's desk listed some info on it.

About the rego: it was identified as New United Nations registry NAR-7678.

Probably the DY-500 should be warp-capable, because they wouldn't have made it to the Ficus Sector on impulse only. On the other hand, the screen did mention that the DY-500 was propelled by a Yoyodyne pulse-fusion engine.

It was launched on November 27, 2123, from the Baikonur Cosmodrome (IRL: the place where the Russians launch their junk in orbit). The time of arrival was uncertain, but the screen mentioned somewhere between 2160 and 2170. That's a 40-50 years trip! That might be another clue that the Mariposa was not warp-capable.

Since this info was all derived from a computer screen, and the screen was legible, I would say it's canon. Identification not by me, BTW, but I found it in James Dixon's Chronology. I saw UtLL quite a while ago, and I did saw some stuff on the screen, but I didn't took the time to freeze-frame my VCR and figure it all out. I guess I'll just go with JD.

Also other interesting mentions on the computer: it gives a list of the ships launched towards Ficus Sector between 2102 and 2187. Watch the 'in-jokes'!

2102: SS Hokule'a, DY-500-C class, Capt. Melinda Snodgrass, mission: deep space exploration.

2105: VK Yuri Gagarin, DY-732 class, Capt. Winrich Kolbe, mission: colonization.

2119: SS Tombiki, RT-2203 class, Capt. Peter Lauritson, mission: deep space exploration.

2120: SS Seattle, class unknown, registry NAR-18834, Capt. Wendy Neuss, mission: ADR Looping (????).

2120: HMS Lord Nelson, DY-500-B class, Capt. Young Jae Kim, mission: deep space exploration.

2123: SS Mariposa, DY-500 class, Capt. Walter Granger, 1st Officer Melinda Snodgrass, Chief Engineer Winrich Kolbe, mission: colonization.

2135: HMS New Zealand, DY-732 class, Capt. Bob Lederman, diplomatic mission to Alderaan (!!! Crossover with Star Wars! I believe Princess Leia comes from Alderaan.)

2137: SS Buckaroo Banzai, BBI-993 class, Capt. John Whorfin (maybe the Whorfin class is named after him), mission: visit to Planet 10.

2146: SS Urusei Yatsura, DY-430 class, Capt. Dave Glick, mission: nebula survey

2160: VK Velikan, DY-1200 class, Capt. Gene Roddenberry, mission: to explore strange new worlds (sic!)

2183: DEV Eagle Valley, DY-950 class, Capt. Dan King, mission: colonization

2187: SS Hatteras, DY-245 class, Capt. Gary Loes, mission: deep space exploration

Guess it's time that we should update our ship lists!
(I already did, a couple of weeks ago)

About the Rommie ship: it comes from the Chronology. However it's probable merely intended as a filler, but it would still be semi-canon.

Ares-4? Maybe it *is* a DY-series vessel. Apart from DY-100 and DY-500, we don't know how the other DY-series vessels looked like. And if it's not a DY, we can blame the writers and say it's bad research.

The Charybdis was launched by NASA in 2037 (or was it 2036?) as the third attempt to leave the Sol system with a manned vessel. It might have been a sleeper ship, because warp wasn't invented yet. No destination has been specified on-screen. Ep: "Hotel Royale" (TNG)

Nomad: launched in 2002 by some eccentric scientist. Again: no destination, but just an attempt to make it to the stars. The Nomad was an unmanned probe, BTW.

For your work: you might consult JD's Chronology. The latest version is updated through VOY season 5 and DS9 season 7. It also contains fandom stuff and novels, so beware! You can download it at http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Crater/2077/scifi.htm (almost 900Kb zipped, 2.2Mb when unzipped).

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53672:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Miranda class vessels, as good as new! Survived the Dominion Wars! Only 100 years old! Only 20,000 ly on the counter! Buy now for only $1000! And if you order now, you get an Oberth class for half the price!"

[ fixed link ]

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited June 27, 2000).]

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... That hyperlink didn't work out well. Forgot to close the tag with .

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53672:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Miranda class vessels, as good as new! Survived the Dominion Wars! Only 100 years old! Only 20,000 ly on the counter! Buy now for only $1000! And if you order now, you get an Oberth class for half the price!"

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

And of course, my second post didn't show the closing tag... But that's irrelevant.

BTW pIn'a'Sov, where does that sublight freighter come from (it's listed on your Early Starships page). Name? Class? Race/government/alliance? Source? Etc.?

[This message has been edited by Alpha Centauri (edited June 26, 2000).]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dat be da Batris, one of the zillion of ships called Antares-class.

Which makes me think that the word "Antares" is like B5's thing about every race having the equivalent of Swedish meatballs (minus the Vorlon's version being self-aware). Maybe "Antares" is a common word in most aline languages. For us, it's the name of a star. In Bajoran, it means "crappy old impulse ship." In Klingon, it means "target practice."

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, version 13 of JD's chronology will probably show up in July 1.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited June 26, 2000).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought there was no direct indication that Ares 4 was the first Earth manned ship to reach Mars. Dozens of ships could have performed that feat earlier, say, in the 1990s already. Ares 4 simply was the one made famous by the incredible disappearing act.

There's an Okudagram about the Charybdis in "ST: The Continuing Mission", listing some of the experiments run aboard (an early USAF shield device among others). The disappearance is described as "drive system anomaly, loss of telemetry", and a follow-up mission is mentioned as getting "negative response", whatever that means.. I'm not sure where the Okudagram would have been used, since none are clearly shown in "The Royale". Perhaps it was on Data's PADD or something.

(Interestingly, Geordi's screen in that episode says that the hellish planet is a "Class C" world - a fact the Encyclopedias fail to mention)

The Mariposa could have had warp two in the TOS scale and would still have required decades of travel time to get to a sector that doesn't immediately adjoin sector 001. And this Ficus sector was supposed to be relatively unexplored. 50 years at sublight shouldn't take you to a place that remains "unexplored" or even "rarely visited" in the 2360s.

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

Well, no, the sublight freighter is not the Batris even though the same model is used. No, the freighter was the one that carried wastematerial and that the enterprise were forced to blow up. (I think) It threatened some planet or other. In size, it appears to be much bigger than the batris.
(the same model appears as the akritirian freighter in the delta quadrant, btw :-) )

------------------

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Okudagram that is mentioned earlier in association with the Charbydis, the followup mission is done by the Jacob.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
V13 of the JD timeline on the 1st of July? Yay! Happy B-Day, Canada! ^_^

------------------
"When you realized that your website is your business and your software can't handle the traffic, that was an epiphany."
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: When Picard and team research the Chaybolis (sp?) in the Royale (TNG) they were looking at a screen at the back of the bridge. Is it possible that the Okudagram was on there and the actors just read off it?

------------------
Klingons never do anything small, eh Worf? -Commander Riker,
Star Trek: Insurrection

http://www.huntel.net/massa/StarTrek/index.html

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI: Re: ADR Looping (????) I belive ADR means "additional dialogue recording" and looping is to record dialogue after filming.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps