Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » And what might these be? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: And what might these be?
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here it is, according to the "Hunt for the Red October" page 434, Ramius' former student, Captain Tupolev, is the captain of the Russian attack submarine "V.K. Konovalov".

------------------
"I just want to set the record straight: I thought the officer was a prostitute"- Homer Simpson

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always thought it was likely that there were colonies on alpha C before warp drive. As long as ships could reach maybe 0.25 c a trip is possible, even without sleeping. Even before this time they could have sent higher-speed unmanned probes out there to scout for suitable planets. Since WWIII happened only a few years before Phoenix's first flight, I suspect that the colonies were established before the war but after 2037, when Charybdis was launched. After the war there wouldn't have been money to spend on extrasolar colonization. Unfortunately, I don't remember what year the war occurred so I'm not sure if this fits.

These retroactive contradictions of events reminds me of typical Star Trek episodes where characters go back in time to change the past. Events established in TNGTM are one timeline, but the producers go back and establish another timeline in First Contact. How appropriate!

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently canon has Alpha Centurai inhabited by an intelligent and advanced race almost indistinguishable from humans. They are called Centaurians, and were about on a par with Earth.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure about that? I know that early fandom speculated this to be the case, mostly based on the implication from "Metamorphosis" that Cochrane was actually from there, but since then we've seen that Cochrane was really from Earth, and have never, at least to my recollection, heard anything about a native Centauri species again. (In fact, I'm not entirely sure we've heard anything strictly canon about there being any planets in the system at all. Was there a mention in DS9?)

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only viable & pertinent mention of Alpha Centauri from DS9 that I can think of is from "Past Tense, Part I" after the trio beamed back to 2024. O'Brien is on Defiant & after they lose contact with all of Starfleet, he scans & says he can't pick up any of the Starfleet or Federation networks anywhere, & that the only warp signatures he's detecting are Romulan ones in the vicinity of Alpha Centauri.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Centaurians are described in the non-canon Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology (1980), by Fred Goldstein. It says that first contact with the Centaurians was made using 0.75c sublight-ships in the late 2040s (can't remember the year, neither I have the book). Diplomatic relations were established in 2054, and Earth got permission to colonize certain planets in orbit around Alpha Centauri A and B. It also suggests that Cochrane was one of the colonists, thus explaining the statement in "Metamorphosis" [TOS].
The Centaurians were ancestors of ancient Greeks, transported by some weird species to Alpha Centauri. So they actually resemble humans.

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53672:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Miranda class vessels, as good as new! Survived the Dominion Wars! Only 100 years old! Only 20,000 ly on the counter! Buy now for only $1000! And if you order now, you get an Oberth class for half the price!"

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only source I can site is that every incarnation of the Trek RPG has had Centaurians. The newest one, from Last Unicorn Games has to get approved by Paramount, so Paramount has signed off on the existance of Centaurians as a pre-existing race as oppose to a mere earth colony.
However, there are no centaurians in the encyclopedia. Tahe that as you will.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost every RPG (FASA, LUG) goes with the Spaceflight Chronology. That also explains why they're frequently a couple of decades off with some events (for instance, SFC places Kirk's five-year mission on the Enterprise in 2217). But fortunately, SFC is non-canon, and so are the Centaurians.

------------------

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Miranda class vessels, as good as new! Survived the Dominion Wars! Only 100 years old! Only 20,000 ly on the counter! Buy now for only $1000! And if you order now, you get an Oberth class for half the price!"

[This message has been edited by Alpha Centauri (edited July 01, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't AC also one of the stars mentioned as being within striking distance from Betazed after that system was taken? I believe it was AC, Andor, and Vulcan that they mentioned, though I could be wrong...

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whilst FASA used the SFC timeline (it was more or less the only published timeline in existance when FASA started their RPG line and wasn't fully contradicted until TNG Season 1) LUG use the Okuda timeline.

Yes, Centaurans are non-canon but they have a very long history in Trek Fandom. As they look externally identical to humans we can claim that all those nameless TOS and TNG crew members were Centaurans, making the Enterprise much more diverse than it looks at first glance.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

OK, so LUG used the 'official' timeline, my fault. But SFC was at the time already quite contradicting to everything else fandom. It was generally accepted at the time that Kirk's five year mission started in 2260 (Okuda: 2265), while SFC gave 2217 (that was 43 years off). SFC also gave 2087 as the UFP's founding year, but 2127 was generally accepted (+40 years). These dates, both some four decades off from established fandom at the time, had far-reaching consequences in the continuity of the SFC timeline, which made it controversial at the time.

------------------

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's okay for Okuda to completely ignore other timelines but it wasn't okay for the authors of SFC?

They had good reasons, based on dialogue in TOS, for picking the dates they did (Kahn left Earth 200 years earlier).

The case for the 2260s did not become clear cut until TNG Season 1 was established as 2364 (though the Romulan Ale date in ST II was good pointer, that could have been a Romulan date as FASA claimed).

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

I didn't mean to say that SFC is evil, and I certainly don't pretend that Okuda is a god. I respect other timelines, but for my own use, I prefer Okuda's timeline. And of course Goldstein had his reasons, which I respect. But SFC had become so contradicting during the years, that I must dismiss the timeline that is presented there. Nice book, though: good extrapolation, nice illustrations, nice ideas. At least, that's what I can conclude after reading excerpts from SFC, and seeing some scanned images.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps