Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » And what might these be? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: And what might these be?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so what do these prefixes mean:
VK & DEV?

SO, these things are canon? If we just change some names a little to more realistic things.
Alderaan -> Aldebaran for example.

Classes:
DY-500-C
DY-732
RT-2203
DY-500-B
BBI-993
DY-430
DY-1200
DY-950
DY-245

So, these names are probably the official names for class, maybe bases on some arrangement of M/ARAs or other systems. Do I see another ASDB job coming in?
Maybe Masao can use some of this info, the ships seem to be from around the Rommie War.

------------------
FuckU-FuckMe: Changing the feel of communication:
"What kinds of security controls does FuckU-FuckMe offer?

All FuckU-FuckMe users can control whom they connect to on an individual basis. There's no need to go to a public reflector. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess Alderaan is pretty much ST canon, since "A Man Alone" also had a viewscreen showing that name (Ibudan's itinenary aboard his ship - strangely in English!).

The Okudagram from "The Royale" could well be from the bridge station monitor we never saw. Incidentally, the text states that the ship had hibernation capability ("20% possibility of crew survival with hibernation systems at low usage mode"), and was set to venture to 100 AU distance to "survey deep extrasolar environment".

The craft was lost when it achieved "12x solar escape velocity 2.56 hours earlier than planned", which tells little of its acceleration capabilities but does indicate something more advanced than what NASA would have in the 2030s. However, the Okudagram gives a launch date of 07-23-2067 or possibly -2087...

Timo Saloniemi

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"12x solar escape velocity" - this tells us something about the Charybdis' cruise speed.

Just like you need to accelerate to 11 km/s to break free from Earth's gravity (this is Earth's escape velocity), you need to travel at no less than 600 km/s to break free from Sol's gravity. Travel slower, and you can't leave the Sol system.

12 times solar escape velocity translates to 12*600 = 7200 km/s = (7200/300,000) = 0.024c. That is indeed a whole lot faster than what NASA spacecraft can achieve now (40,000 km/h = 11.1 km/s = 0.000037c).

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53672:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Miranda class vessels, as good as new! Survived the Dominion Wars! Only 100 years old! Only 20,000 ly on the counter! Buy now for only $1000! And if you order now, you get an Oberth class for half the price!"

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I saw something peculiar. The SS Seattle's rego was NAR-18834 - that's also the rego of the SS Vico from "Hero Worship" [TNG].

'DEV' might stand for 'Deep-space Exploration Vessel' (or 'Vehicle'). However, the DEV Eagle Valley was a colonization vessel, so that might be incorrect.
Perhaps it means 'Da Eagle Valley'?

------------------

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Miranda class vessels, as good as new! Survived the Dominion Wars! Only 100 years old! Only 20,000 ly on the counter! Buy now for only $1000! And if you order now, you get an Oberth class for half the price!"

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure, but isn't "VK" a Russian or possibly Soviet prefix? I'm trying to remember "Hunt for the Red October" but didn't the Alpha sub have a VK in the front.

------------------
"I just want to set the record straight: I thought the officer was a prostitute"- Homer Simpson

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prakesh: Sorry, can't help with these numbers. All I know is DY-100 and DY-500 were established in "Space Speed." Since the original series's writers didn't seem too fond of in-jokes, the code letters probably don't mean anything.

My guesses for VK in-jokes are "Voight-Kampf," the replicant-detecting machine in Blade Runner, and "Victor Kaminsky," one of the hibernating astronauts killed by HAL 9000. But these are just wild-ass guesses.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
V. K. Velikan was the chief engineer of the Soviet ballistic missile submarine Red October.

Interesting to note that the TNGTM make reference to ASRVs being produced at a secondary facility on Velikan V.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

Prakesh: I found my drafts of a similar project I've done quite some while ago. It, however, never came any farther than writing it down with pen and paper. Well, this is a short summary of my work - all 20th and 21st century Earth vessels ever seen or mentioned in Star Trek:

• Apollo-11 (1969)
  • Pioneer-10 (1972)
  • Space Shuttle Enterprise (1976)
  • Voyager-6 (late 1990s)
    Implies the existence of 5 earlier probes. 1 and 2 actually exist, and were launched in 1977.
  • S.S. Birdseye (late 1990s)
  • S.S. Botany Bay (1996)
  • Nomad (2002)
  • Earth-Saturn probe (early 21st century)
  • Ares-4 (2032)
  • [2] [name unknown] Predecessors of Charybdis.
  • Charybdis (2037)
  • Jacob (follow-up mission to Charybdis)
  • Warp-drive prototype (2061) (TNGTM)
  • Phoenix (2063)
  • [name unknown] warp-capable relocation vessel(s), transported Cochrane et al to Alpha Centauri (TNGTM)
  • S.S. Bonaventure (2064) - comes from The Animated Series, decide for yourself whether it's worth mentioning or not.
  • S.S. Valiant (2065)

And I have something to add to the Charybdis-part of this topic. The computer screen says even more:

• The Charybdis was propelled by Block-II gas-core fission drive.
  • It had a crew of 15.
  • Additional missions were: study of the interaction of the solar magnetic field at the heliopause (for the uninitiated: the heliopause is the boundary between solar influence and the interstellar void), long-duration crew habitation, and an USAF electric-fields experiment module adaptability study (Interagency Co-op Program).
  • Classified as lost on 07 February 2038 with consumables runout; however, there was a 20% chance on crew survival if they would use their hibernation systems at low usage mode.

[This message has been edited by Alpha Centauri (edited June 28, 2000).]

• Masao
    doesn't like you either
    Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I'm guessing that the warp prototype and Phoenix are the same ships. In the second edition of the chronology Michael Okuda says that before the name and date of the first ship were establshed in First Contact they had put the date of the first flight in 2061. So unless there were some failed warp prototypes, 2061 and 2063 represent the same event.

------------------

Timo
    Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Considering the general structure of the Phoenix, it would be no wonder if the forward crew cabin parachuted down while the rest of the test rig remained in orbit. Cochrane could then later launch a bigger crew cabin and dock it to the test rig, and gradually add other stuff like a meteoroid shield and extra fuel tanks. So step by step, the Phoenix of ST:FC fame would transform into the Phoenix as shown in the Chronology and in the tabletop model seen on Keiko's classroom table.

The ship would probalby be stored in the Smithsonian in its Chronology form, not in the FC shape.

Timo Saloniemi

Alpha Centauri
    Member # 338

The 'warp prototype' is not the same as the Phoenix. It is explicitely mentioned in the TNGTM that it was an unmanned test vehicle. If you want, I can even quote the line for you.

------------------

Masao
    doesn't like you either
    Member # 232

Alpha C: That's interesting. I haven't read the TNG TM recently. Actually, it makes more sense that an unmanned probe was tested before Phoenix. First Contact seems to suggest that Phoenix was the first flight of any warp ship. By the way, what does the TNGTM say about the first manned flight? Since it was published long before "First Contact" and before "Phoenix" and the 2063 date were established, I'm wondering what it says.

------------------

Harry
    Stormwind City Guard
    Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    About this VK prefix.
    It could be Russian. The V could be something sounding like Vehicle and the K could be like Kosmos.
    Does anyone speak Russian in here?

------------------
    FuckU-FuckMe: Changing the feel of communication:
    "What kinds of security controls does FuckU-FuckMe offer?

All FuckU-FuckMe users can control whom they connect to on an individual basis. There's no need to go to a public reflector. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Timo
    Member # 245

Not me, even though I live in the neighborhood. But I have the faint and fuzzy notion that the letters could be something like "bolshoi korabl", spelling be damned. V would equal B as usual in cyrillic translitterations, and "bolshoi korabl" would literally be "big ship" in pidgin Russian.

And the Russian navy does use expressions like "big SS-rocket ship" and "small ASW ship" instead of the less systematic western "frigate" and "destroyer" and "corvette" and whatnot.

However, I have very little faith that there is any connection with this twisted logic and the true origin of the VK prefix.

Timo Saloniemi

Addendum: After checking up on this, I think the B in "bolshoi" is almost never spelled as a V in western translitterations - while the B in "Mockba" is always spelled as a V (Moskva) and the one in "Sebactonoh" varies between B and V (Sebastopol or Sevastopol) depending on who's typing. So VK is unlikely to be "bolshoi korabl" after all.

[This message has been edited by Timo (edited July 03, 2000).]

Alpha Centauri
    Member # 338

Masao: The TNG:TM tactically avoids speaking of the first manned flight. After the text about the unmanned prototype, the next paragraph elaborates: "Early CDP engines, which were only informally dubbed "warp" engines, met with success, and were almost immediately incorporated into existing spacecraft designs". It goes on saying that Cochrane and his team eventually relocated to the Alpha Centauri colonies [INTERESTING: this suggests that there were already colonies established in the a Cen system. Maybe with sublight sleeper ships?], and that that move only took four years because of spacecraft equipped with early warp engines. If we take four years as exact travel time, one comes to an average velocity of 1.075c.

And here some info about the unmanned warp prototype, derived from the TNG:TM.

• The prototype was described as a "fluctuation impeller" (whatever that might mean).

• It did not actually broke the lightspeed barrier, but travelled at precisely c.

• This was achieved by "alternating between two velocity states while remaining at neither for longer than Planck time, 1.3x10-43 second, the smallest possible unit of measurable time. This had the net effect of maintaining velocities at [underlining by me] the previously unattainable speed of light, while avoiding the theoretically infinite energy expenditure which would otherwise have been required".

------------------

•   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
    HTML is enabled.
    UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps