Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The USS Odyssey Tragedy (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The USS Odyssey Tragedy
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Yamato was infected by a rather advanced computer virus, which resulted in a whole host of wacky hijinks. Then the warp core breached. Someone always has to take it too far...

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do wonder why some people are so negative about Keogh. To me, it looked as if he behaved exactly like Picard would have in the situation, and I don't see people persecuting Picard all that often...

What we see is Keogh arriving on a space station with the commander missing, and giving his best "We'll handle it" speech to the panicking underlings. One of the said underlings has some sort of a grudge with Keogh, but he gracefully lets it pass, making just one snide remark to put the bastard in her place in a civilized manner. He doesn't boss around the DS9 crew, he listens to their suggestions, and he respects their desire to accompany the Odyssey, even though he knows the runabouts won't be much of a tactical advantage (to the contrary, actually and the DS9 crew lack space battle experience.

The only thing I could have interpreted as not "likeable" was the belittling of the crew's success against the Maquis - but what he said was absolutely true and a fair warning he HAD to give to protect the lives of the DS9 heroes from dangers they did not need to face and couldn't handle.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another obvious strategy with regards to the Odyessey's fighting style would have been to separate the ship once they got there and add another vessel to the attack. There are problems with that though. They would have to reconnect before they left. The saucer isn't a very formidable vessel by itself. Worf even called it the entire vessels "bulk" in the first season.

The stardrive section was presented as the real meat of the ship in the first season.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, the Galaxies were new back then. Perhaps the belief in the virtues of separation was an early misconception, corrected later when user feedback began pouring in?

Also, separation might have been more demanding than initially expected. Perhaps a Galaxy couldn't take more than two or three separation maneuvers before requiring major spacedock time?

Timo Saloniemi

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello.

Lots of responses!

Anyway, my personal consideration of the whole incident.

If I was in command of the Odyssey, or any ship for that matter, I wouldn't have dropped shields. Even if the phased-polaron weapons of the "bugs" managed to go through the shields, this was a "first contact" mission, and seeing how so many other races have a torpedo type weapon of choice, shields would have made a difference. On the good ol' NCC-1701-D, we've seen how they've managed to get more power to the phasers/weapons (by diverting power from other areas, even life-support) without dropping the shields.

Also, I agree Keogh wasn't that bad as a captain. BTW, does anyone have screencaps of the Odyssey's bridge?

A Galaxy-Class starship is still a formidable opponent, so why weren't other options tried? Tractor beams? Firing phasers and torpedoes? Did anyone else think that was strange? Also, what was wrong with the port warp nacelle? Did that affect the Odyssey's combat performance in any manner?

It's just a shame to see such a nice ship go up in flames...

Thoughts?

------------------
Ace

"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it even confirmed she dropped shields, or is this an assumption-game?

The torpedo-launchers were unusable as the Odyssey stood still in space and couldn't pursue the enemy to get a lock. Maybe if they'd gone to 3/4 impulse, but the bugs would've flew circles around her anyway. Besides, the plot was meant to develop that way.

For the record, I think it was one of the most tragic scenes since 359.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Keogh ordered the shield power transferred to phaser power to see if the phasers would have any effect on the bugs.

On torpedo usage, I don't believe it is stated that a starship has to be moving in order to fire its torpedoes.

However, I do agree that Keogh should have had his helmsman at least circle around instead of just sitting there taking the hits. For the record, the Odyssey managed to get off a few shots but, as said before, to no effect.

------------------
Ace

"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The destruction of the Odyssey was VERY powerful! The Jem'Hadar was a GREAT episode... but what made it better for me was, that the first time it was shown in Australia was at a convention... the whole main room was FULL and we all sat down to watch "The Jem'Hadar" that scene... the whole audience just... GASPED! about. AMAZING stuff.

The best places to always watch episodes was at a convention - especially that convention!

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of which ...

How good a captain could Keogh have been if he didn't even order his helmsman to engage in evasive manuevers? You'd think that would be Tactics 101 at the Academy:

"It's harder for the enemy to hit you if you're moving in unpredictable patterns!"

Not that zig-zagging did the Indianapolis any good ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can all crank out theories on why the Odyssey didn't do this or why the captain did that, but the point of the destruction of the ship from the producers of DS9 was to show how powerful the Jem Ha'dar were. But at least they could have showed that the Odyssey put up more of a fight.

As for the torpedo launchers, maybe they were disabled with the first few shots that the bugs gave out, along with impulse. When the ship did finally get impulse back to head for the wormhole, the launchers may have still been offline.

------------------
"Oh for fuck's sake, stop your moaning,
If you fancy a threesome at this time of night, you can't get start getting choosey about which particular three!
-Queer As Folk, UK

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Jem'Hadar's main beam weapon had some kind of "Polaron thingy" that went thru standard Fed. shields and caused most of the damage in the first place before the Jem'Hadar ship kamakazied her.

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see arguments that state the new USS Defiant's registry is NX-74205. This is for the reason that we can see the registry.

The incident with the USS Odyssey illustrates the fallacy of this idea. As the Jem'Hadar warship rams and breaks apart on the Federation starship, the registry can be seen. The registry is "NCC-1701-D". Do I argue that the USS Odyssey is a twin sister of the USS Enterprise who is given the same registry for unknown and spurious reasons? No. I say that the registry is wrong.

And I say the same for the new USS Defiant. I can count the number of instances where a starship is given the wrong registry. I don't believe there is a reason in the fictional universe. I put the responsibility of these mistakes on the production teams and say the reason lays with them.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then, you could extend that to its logical conclusion and say that Riker was correct all along when he said the Yamato was NCC-1305-E. . .

------------------
"Businesses used to be like Christianity; if you were faithful and obedient, you could obtain bliss in the afterlife of retirement. Now it's more of a reincarnation model. If the worker learns enough in his current job, he can progress to a higher level of employment elsewhere."

- Dogbert

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*So I didn't read all the posts*

Someone asked why the Oddysey did not raise shields before going boom. I'd say that the shield generators were badly damaged during the fight or that the ship lost Primary power.

Someone asked why didn't the Oddysey did not detach the Saucer. Could this be because of the unique Phaser arrays located on the Saucer?

As for the ep itself, I never saw it. My brother said that he saw this preview for a DS9 ep, saw the destruction of the Odyssey, and said that the Enterprise-D went Boom. And that they deserved it.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the Defiant registery, the assumption that it has the exact same registry as the original is based on the over use of reused footage, particulary that closeup bank from "Sacrafice of Angels". But, I saw "What you leave behind" the other day and I'm sure that there were some new shots of the defiant. Does anyone know if the registery was still NX-74205 in these new shots or did the CG guys pull their thumb out and change the model?

As for why the Oddysee didn't separate, or why the Jemmybug didn't simply bounce off....
There wouldn't have been any point, the time it would take to evacuate the the saucer of remaining personnel and initiate auto-sep sequence AND get the secondary hull clear AND get the thing moving would have taken WAY to long, before or after the battle.
And as for why they jemmybug didn't bounce off, the thing was bloody big for a start, and the minor detail that the ship system where damaged in the opening volly. Not to mention that shields are never been unbreachable, remember Ro's maquis fighter in "premptive strike", or the Duras sister's torpedoes in "generations" ? Plus the jem'hadar at the time didn't seam bothered by any federation sheilds, force fields or tractor beams.

But I do wonder who thought the Oddysee blowing up had anything to do with the A/M pods. I don't think they were kept anywhere near the deflector, if memory serves they are stored at the very bottom of the ship on deck 42 beneath the warp core. But this doesn't matter as the damage sustained to the deflector alone would have been enough, someone mentioned before about the line from "First Contact" saying that the deflector is charged with anti-protons, also the direct impact alone would have delt a serious wack to the SIF causing alsorts of mayhem about the ship...for a few seconds at least. *deep breath* I'd also like to remind you guys about "cause and effect" where it only took a brief but direct hit to the nacelle to cause a core breach.

BTW, concerning the bridge set of the oddysee, was there a dedication plaque made? I know one was not seen but it's possible.

*collapses in a heap with cronic finger bleeding*

------------------
We attack tommorow, under cover of daylight!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps