Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The USS Odyssey Tragedy (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The USS Odyssey Tragedy
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So now either three things happend:

A: The Jemmie bug hit Decks 22-27, which houses the foward torp launchers and torp magazine, and caused them to detonate.

B: The Jemmie bug rams the ship, causes debris to fly into the nacelle and cause something similar to what happend to the Enterprise-D in Cause and Effect.

C: The impact of the Jemmie bug caused a massive power failure that sent the warp core into an overload.

------------------
"Oh for fuck's sake, stop your moaning,
If you fancy a threesome at this time of night, you can't get start getting choosey about which particular three!
-Queer As Folk, UK

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or all three of the above.

I don't really buy into that thing about deflector discs always being on the brink of blowing up the ship. The antiproton (?) charge on the E-E disk might have been a temporary thing, either something the Borg created as part of the process of converting the dish to a beacon, or then something resulting from the time travel trip or damage the ship received in the opening battle.

One would assume that the Klingons would know of this weakness if it really existed - so the Duras sisters could have aimed five degrees lower in "Generations" in their opening volley, and destroyed the E-D with a single shot!

Timo Saloniemi

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, a collision this close to the Warp core can still rupture it without the need of a power surge. I can only imagine the damage to the Odyssey as not only colossus, but fatal.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
am I right in thinking that the bit of wreakage that hit the nacelle was actually the deflector dish?
not the blue glowing part, the actual red dish bit. If that was charged with anti protons then it would have contaminated the warp plasma, I'm not sure if the flow can go the other way but if they got into the warp core it could have caused all kinds of jiggery pokery. I don't think that the warpcore itself was hit by the impact, it is further back than some have suggested and as such is well protected from a forward hull breach. Infact, except from the obvious damage to the deflector array (blue bit) - which was probably caused by the torp mag - most of the damage seems to be on the neck section of the hull. As this is a critical stress point, its being weakened would put a big strain on the SIF and just add to the damage already incured and lessening the options avalible to the captain in the 3 seconds that followed. All this is rarther irrelevant again.
Bottom line is that - Ship was rammed - Ship go boom - season gets dramatic ending.

------------------
We attack tommorow, under cover of daylight!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn writers!!! Couldn't they have blown up an Ambassador Class instead? I mean, the model was sitting around ILM doing nothing!!!

------------------
If you fancy a threesome at this time of night, you can't get start getting choosey about which particular three!
-Queer As Folk, UK

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite simply, for the shock value. TNG was going out on top that month, and the DS9 people wanted to end their second season a) with a bang, and b) demonstrating that these Dominion people aren't piddly little thugs that Picard & co. could walk all over, thus helping to establish DS9 as a show in its own right. So what do you do? You get a Galaxy class ship, a Picard clone as her Captain, and BLOW BOTH OF THEM UP!

Mission accomplished.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you're really stupid, think that it was the Ent-D that blew up.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

It was the Enterprise-D that blew up. It was just relabled as the Odyssey...

------------------
-Queer As Folk, UK

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just reviewed everything that this thread made me think of.

Favorite Captains (top 5, in order, descending):
1) Robert DoSoto, U.S.S. Hood
2) Eric Pierpoint (did we ever get a character name?), U.S.S. Malinche
3) Benjamin Maxwell, U.S.S. Phoenix
4) Edward Jellico, U.S.S. Cairo
5) Morgan Bateson, U.S.S. Bozeman

Favorite XOs:
Karen Farris, U.S.S. Valiant *ga-rrRRRRrrr* ;-)
Elizabeth Shelby, U.S.S Excalibur

ANYhoo.

The scene where the bugship hits the Odyssey shows a registry of NCC-71832 on my TV.

And never mind whether or not Keogh was competent, when are we gonna see Picard get court-martialed for leading the Borg to us?

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, long time since I saw the old Kamikaze-approach.
Welcome to the forums, cadet. Keep your hands inside the posts at all times.

As soon as I saw these 16 threads being updated overnight, I sensed a new member in the works.

The whole chain of command on the Valiant was corrupt, as these scared adolescents blindly followed every whim from an equally scared, but foolishly proud "captain". Then again, your eyes didn't seem to be on their 'conduct', did they?

You list Jellico as one of your favourites? That's a first.

I realize you were joking, but anyhow, about Picard's decisions on his first visit to the Delta Quadrant, do you think Q would've had the same respect for him had he thrown in the towel at first sight of the Borg?
I think Picard'd rather have the Borg be aware of them than let all of humanity be Q's pawn.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonah? I thought you said you didn't like message boards...

Welcome anyways, buddy!

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Peregrinus, if you're going to count Shebly (sorry, doing a Garbeck) as best XO, Calhoun has to count for best Captain. I can't imagine any of the other skippers (except perhaps Kirk) pulling any of his stunts e.g. mines in the road, pulling swords through arms etc.

Ahem, we now return you to ST canon...

The Malinche's CO was called Sanders, btw.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Anyway... let's get back to the deflector dish of the Oddyssey. A Jem H'addar bug ship is made of particle, and carries most likely anti-matter in it. So when the ship rammed into Decks 22-27 and exploded, some particles hit the deflector, and then the nacelle, caused an EPS power surge near the warp core, and then the ship went into the deadly tailspin.

That or the ship was stuffed with pyrotechnic explosives with trigger-happy people next to the "boom" button...

------------------
-Queer As Folk, UK

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod: Let's just say I've had a crush on Courtney Peldon for quite some time.

As for Jellico, he had a different command style, and Riker didn't make it any easier for the crew by passively resisting said command style.

And as for the Picard thing... I was being deadly serious. Okay. First, I'm gonna piss off an omnipotent entity. Then, once he's knocked us halfway across the galaxy, I'm gonna ignore the advice -- which I requested -- of the only individual on this ship who's been in this part of space. Then, I'm gonna ignore her advice -- which I again requested -- about this race which her people had encountered before. Then, when they prove both their hostile intent (which we were warned about repeatedly) and their ability to adapt to our weaponry, I'm gonna use the absolute minimum force necessary to get them to stop hurting us, give them time to adapt and repair themselves, and them I'm gonna run away on a direct heading for Federation space.

Okay, sure there was probably a cube or scout ship poking around the Romulan Neutral Zone, but they were evidently not tasked with large-scale assimilation of Alpha Quadrant species. As Guinan said, actual contact with the Borg came far earlier than it should have or would have, had Picard not been such a dink.

Eclipse: I was thinking only of Captains I've had a chance to see in the flesh (being acted) rather than just reading about (being written ain't the same thing). And thanks for Sanders...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bit of a problem, that name, "Courtney Peldon." Right now it sounds very cute and Britney-ish, but what will it be like when she's in her 40's? A bit strange, really.

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps